Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
You may be able to use a regular bathroom scale to check the weight as most, especially the digital ones go to at least 350lbs. I would use a small board to distribute the weight over the scale face and then put a board upright on the scale and under the tongue. Lower the tongue down until the jack (i'm assuming if it is that heavy, it has a tongue jack) wheel or pad is off the ground. This way, you don't have to strain to pick anything up and if you see that weight is going to exceed the scale rating, you can stop lowering and resort to plan "B".

·
Registered
5 Posts
p220sigman said:
You may be able to use a regular bathroom scale to check the weight as most, especially the digital ones go to at least 350lbs. I would use a small board to distribute the weight over the scale face and then put a board upright on the scale and under the tongue. Lower the tongue down until the jack (i'm assuming if it is that heavy, it has a tongue jack) wheel or pad is off the ground. This way, you don't have to strain to pick anything up and if you see that weight is going to exceed the scale rating, you can stop lowering and resort to plan "B".
Good idea. I know we have a digital scale kicking around - not sure of the capacity. I will check it out and next time I head to the lake I will measure the tongue weight if I can.

I understand that the airbags don't change the weight rating. I just want the ride height adjusted so things aren't dragging/scraping all over the place. And you're right.... heavy is pretty subjective! I don't think I can lift 200 lb either, so who knows what it really weighs!

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks... Removing the coil springs doesn't sound appealing... I'll go for the Airlifts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed Airlift 1000 on my '04 XLE. They work OK, but ride rougher even at the 5 psi minimum. Only gained 1 inch of clearance at 35psi (Max allowed) with the van empty I had a set of air shocks on my '87 Taurus wagon, and they were much better. There was an air bladder in the bottom of the shock for raising unit, up to 85psi. It did not affect the ride comfort. I can not find them for the Sienna, or I would have bought them instead.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Airlifts aren't meant to gain any suspension height on an empty van. They aren't any longer than the spring length with the van empty and sitting normally. If you are gaining an inch by inflating them, you are using them incorrectly. They are only meant to reduce the amount that the suspension sags with a load, not increase ride height.

RidgeRunnr said:
I installed Airlift 1000 on my '04 XLE. They work OK, but ride rougher even at the 5 psi minimum. Only gained 1 inch of clearance at 35psi (Max allowed) with the van empty I had a set of air shocks on my '87 Taurus wagon, and they were much better. There was an air bladder in the bottom of the shock for raising unit, up to 85psi. It did not affect the ride comfort. I can not find them for the Sienna, or I would have bought them instead.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
RidgeRunnr said:
I installed Airlift 1000 on my '04 XLE. They work OK, but ride rougher even at the 5 psi minimum. Only gained 1 inch of clearance at 35psi (Max allowed) with the van empty
Go back and read tcp's post again so I don't need to repeat it... he said it perfectly! :)

RidgeRunnr said:
I had a set of air shocks on my '87 Taurus wagon, and they were much better. There was an air bladder in the bottom of the shock for raising unit, up to 85psi. It did not affect the ride comfort. I can not find them for the Sienna, or I would have bought them instead.
There is very little room around the Sienna's rear shocks (you can see them in the wheel wells), so it doesn't surprise me that shocks with air bladders are not available - I doubt that they would fit.

The air shocks on the Taurus must have affected ride quality, since they changed spring stiffness... it may just have been an improvement, or at least not objectionable. Also, the rolling-element bladders typical on air shocks probably had a more linear spring rate than the in-coil bags, which could be better for ride comfort.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,447 Posts
I installed them last week (http://www.siennachat.com/forum/index.php?topic=190.msg35972#msg35972), and completed an 800 mile trip with the van fairly loaded this weekend. I put in 12 PSI initially with the van empty.

The 'normal' empty ride height without airlifts is around 8.5" to the bottom of the Curt hitch. Empty with 12 PSI = slightly over 9". Fully loaded with stuff and people (minus me, as I was out back taking data...) was slightly over 8". I don't have a loaded with no air number, but suspect it as being around 7" or so (visually, prior trips). All measurements taken at exactly the same spot in the garage. Net is they seem to work as advertised.

We tackled some pretty rough dirt roads down in the Spotsylvania Courthouse battlefield area with no drama.

We notice a bit of rubbing/creaking sounds especially when cold that bother my wife a little bit, but after a bit of driving they seem to go away. The sound reminds me of roll bar bushing that need lube.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The squeaking will stop when they wear in along the springs a bit. you could give them a shot of silicone spray, but it might attract some dust that you don't want.

Fibber2 said:
I installed them last week (http://www.siennachat.com/forum/index.php?topic=190.msg35972#msg35972), and completed an 800 mile trip with the van fairly loaded this weekend. I put in 12 PSI initially with the van empty.

The 'normal' empty ride height without airlifts is around 8.5" to the bottom of the Curt hitch. Empty with 12 PSI = slightly over 9". Fully loaded with stuff and people (minus me, as I was out back taking data...) was slightly over 8". I don't have a loaded with no air number, but suspect it as being around 7" or so (visually, prior trips). All measurements taken at exactly the same spot in the garage. Net is they seem to work as advertised.

We tackled some pretty rough dirt roads down in the Spotsylvania Courthouse battlefield area with no drama.

We notice a bit of rubbing/creaking sounds especially when cold that bother my wife a little bit, but after a bit of driving they seem to go away. The sound reminds me of roll bar bushing that need lube.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion on which brand of air lifts to get for a 2007 Sienna? I'll be pulling a popup, and a van full of kids, bikes and gear. I am concerned with ground clearance/bottoming out while travelling.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,447 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thats what I've got for my 2007 and am very happy with them.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts