Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my local dealer, I found several Siennas and pretty much narrowed it down to two. 2012 XLE, 99K, $14,579 "best price"; 2011 LE, 159K, $10,479 "best price". Both looked to be in excellent condition for their age and mileage. 2011 model was sold new at this dealer to an older couple that used it for a lot of trips to Florida (I'm in Ohio), and was traded on a new one because they wanted the enhanced safety stuff.

We spent most of our time looking at the 2012, but I couldn't pull the trigger. It simply didn't seem like an excellent deal. The 2011 is a bit better, but again not spectacular. I like to think that I have "good deal radar", where I can recognize a good deal when I see one... and these didn't cut it for me.

What's your opinion on our having passed on these? (If we should pounce on one, they're both still there...)

·
Registered
57 Posts
after 3 Sienna's i will pay more but take a new one, body, engines and transitions are at half of theirs life and they may ask for a tune up and others tings what will make the "best price" to become a nightmare

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use KBB but I suppose it doesn't matter. My initial feeling had to do with the value of the deal. Two years ago when I bought the 4Runner, the dealership gave me a deal that landed dead-center in the KBB private party value range. Since I had researched pricing prior to that, I knew I was getting a good deal and I pounced on it.

These two Siennas didn't strike me like that and I wondered if perhaps there was a different pricing dynamic known to be in play for the Sienna that doesn't extend to the 4Runner. To wit: Both Siennas, even at the best price that the dealership was offering, came in at ~25% and ~45% above the middle of the KBB private party range and significantly above the high end of that range.

I know that it's reasonable to expect that a dealership will charge more, but at the same time, they take these things in for pennies on the pound, so really, they shouldn't charge that much more. They wouldn't go higher than $4200 on the trade value for my Prius and the midpoint of the KBB private party sale range is $7000 and change. So, even if they had to spruce it up a bit, you mean to tell me they wouldn't profit, selling it at $7000, if they decided to keep it for their lot? High end of the private party value range was $8000 and change, which would give them that much more leeway on the price and they could still be in the range.

Great deals can be had, even at dealerships, and I want one. I just wondered if anyone had enough experience with Sienna pricing to know, for example, that you will never get a great deal on an older used Sienna at a dealership, even if those great deals can be found with some regularity on other Toyota models.

after 3 Sienna's i will pay more but take a new one, body, engines and transitions are at half of theirs life and they may ask for a tune up and others tings what will make the "best price" to become a nightmare
Agreed, but supposing I could get one with less than 100,000 miles for 1/3 of its price brand new, in good condition relatively speaking. To me that seems to say that it has about 2/3 of its expected life remaining, and I'm buying it for 1/3 of its original price. Even if that 2/3 of expected life is a bit misleading because the 1/3 of its expected life that is behind it is the best 1/3 in terms of repair expenses, it still seems that in terms of useful life for price paid, this would be a deal.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The only advice I can give is the XLE will have a powered hatch while the LE won't.
Keep that in mind when you have a handful of baby stuff that you can open/close with the remote and the press of a button automatically.

See if your wife likes to close it manually (on LE) over the convenience of a button (XLE).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only advice I can give is the XLE will have a powered hatch while the LE won't.
Keep that in mind when you have a handful of baby stuff that you can open/close with the remote and the press of a button automatically.

See if your wife likes to close it manually (on LE) over the convenience of a button (XLE).
My first thought was that you have to have a hand free anyway, at least to an extent, to hit that button and make the hatch raise.

The sales guy at the dealership said that for a new Sienna, the XLE is going at about a 14% premium over the LE. I imagine that that has always been approximately the same, and therefore that the 14% premium carries to the used models through the depreciation curve. This means that if we're looking at an LE that's $10,000, the comparable XLE would be $11,400. The question would then be, "is it worth $1,400 plus tax and some interest, to have the convenience of a power hatch?"

And I believe that the answer would be no. I can never recall either of us wishing that the Prius or 4Runner had a power hatch. Besides, something happened that made me think that a power hatch is not all sunshine and roses. At the dealer, I wanted to check the 2012 XLE for how well it fit our musical equipment with the rear seats not folded down. The sales guy had to get the keys, but since we had looked at it only about 15 minutes before, it was still unlocked. I found that out when I opened the hatch. He didn't think it was unlocked, so as he was walking toward it, he unlocked it and hit the hatch button. The hatch proceeded to come down on me as I was loading equipment. I stopped it with my hand and it went back up, but still, I had to have a hand free to do that.

It just seems not worth the money. Honestly, my wife liked the XLE for its leather seating (ease of cleaning from kid mess) and never said word one about the power hatch. She wasn't totally set on it, though. After all, our current two vehicles have cloth interiors and not once have we had to worry about cleanup, no matter how messy any of us have gotten them. I'm about to prove this, or perhaps disprove it, today. I've been using the 4Runner as a "work truck" for months and now I have to get it ready to haul people for the winter season. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Different trim levels for different people. I only buy the higher trim levels because I want leather, sunroof, 6 way electric seat, seat warmers, keyless entry, bluetooth, etc. I only buy used cars, but I want to feel like a luxury one and I keep them a long time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
At my local dealer, I found several Siennas and pretty much narrowed it down to two. 2012 XLE, 99K, $14,579 "best price"; 2011 LE, 159K, $10,479 "best price". Both looked to be in excellent condition for their age and mileage. 2011 model was sold new at this dealer to an older couple that used it for a lot of trips to Florida (I'm in Ohio), and was traded on a new one because they wanted the enhanced safety stuff.

We spent most of our time looking at the 2012, but I couldn't pull the trigger. It simply didn't seem like an excellent deal. The 2011 is a bit better, but again not spectacular. I like to think that I have "good deal radar", where I can recognize a good deal when I see one... and these didn't cut it for me.

What's your opinion on our having passed on these? (If we should pounce on one, they're both still there...)
Are you after the 2011+ body style only? Reason I ask is I just bought a 2010 Limited with 87k miles for $8591. Deals are out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think a lot depends on where you live. Where are you located? I have been looking for months for a nice well kept 2007 - 2010 XLE or Limited for an attractive / fair price. They are very hard to find around Richmond VA. I have seen some far away but have been disappointed when wasting a lot of travel time to see them. They all look better in pictures. Yours looks great. Want to sell it I'll give you $9.5K.
Joe

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here in California I see Siennas with half that mileage going for that much. Just because they "look" great doesn't mean a vehicle with 150K+ miles isn't going to need significant upcoming maintenance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i look at everything...overall pictured...i worry about them rolling back milage but wear and tear ...and my gut has served me well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts