Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with an Android head unit? I am looking to upgrade from the standard radio on a 2014 XLE. I saw this one on Amazon:

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought one for my Chevy truck, and have considered getting one for the 04 Sienna if I really like the one in the truck.
It arrives tommorrow. It is a Tocado 7 inch Android 6.0 with GPS, DVD, BT, WIFI , backup camera, etc.
There are customized units for Sienna, Camry, etc i think, at a higher price point.
Some of these can send video out to rear seat displays as well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I bought an ATOTO M4272 android receiver/headunit for my 04 Sienna. It doesn't have a DVD player, but it does have GPS, Bluetooth and a backup camera.

Here's a picture of the unit installed in a Metra Trim kit. I replaced the Metra trim Kit with an AI trim kit. There are no gaps between the AI trim kit and radio bezel. I was also able to hook up the control buttons on the steering wheel to control volume up and down and track up and track down on the radio as well as music I have on a micro sd card, all without having to buy a steering wheel integration kit. Haven't been able to get the mode button to work yet.

·
Registered
283 Posts

This is how my android radio look with an AI trim kit. The trim kit is better looking in my opinion than the Metra kit. Metra kit was recommended by ATOTO the maker of my android radio.

·
Registered
283 Posts
What is the wiring kit you have used to connect it to the wiring inside the van?

Thanks
I used this interface to connect the Android radio to the JBL system in the Sienna.

Metra TYTO-01 JBL Amplifier Interface Harness

I purchase it on Amazon.

I was able to connect the SW1 and SW2 wires to the Android radio without having to buy a steering wheel integration kit by just following the directions in this youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSNIS360jUk&t=336s

·
Registered
28 Posts
Entune (hardware and software) is so bad, I should have declined it and gone aftermarket = cheaper and more functional. That's a nice looking setup @upallnight - looks great!

Never again will I buy a car with a factory Toyota head unit. NEVER AGAIN!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use the app easy connect to connect with my Samsung phone. For Navigation I started with Google maps, then went with Co-Pilot, but now I use WAZE since it offer real time info from other motorist using the app. Stuff such as disable car ahead, stuff on the road and delay up ahead is much better than even the traffic on my old Garmin. I can stream music from my phone and listen to IHeart radio on the internet as well as music which I purchased on Amazon. The only thing I'm not happy with is the built in mic for my phone. The volume is very low and people have a hard time hearing me on my phone. I have a backup camera which make parking the minivan a breeze and a dash cam that record to external jump drive via USB connectors. All in all a really nice addition to the minivan.

·
Registered
28 Posts
... I have a backup camera which make parking the minivan a breeze and a dash cam that record to external jump drive via USB connectors. All in all a really nice addition to the minivan.
That is great! How did you make your dash cam record to external jump drive? Which dash cam you got?

·
Registered
283 Posts
That is great! How did you make your dash cam record to external jump drive? Which dash cam you got?
ATOTO has a dashcam that plugs into one of the USB port. There are 3 additional USB ports that I have jump drives plugged into. One has music and the other jump drive is where I save the dashcam video to. And the third USB port is where I sometime connect my phone to so that I can mirror my phone to the ATOTO dash display.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for sharing your android radio setup. Were you able to tap into the Sienna's existing backup camera? I need a new stereo and my goals are to utilize steering wheel volume/skip controls, have bluetooth, usb charging and audio, aux input, micro SD, and backup camera.

Seems like you've managed to do all of these, but I'm curious how the backup camera step went.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My backup setup sends a signal to the headunit to inform it to switch to the rear camera. This is set up so that even if the headunit is off it will turn the headunit on and show the image from the backup camera.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for sharing norbi771. I was able to use the factory backup camera on my 2006 Limited with instructions in the iDataLink Maestro install manual. They outlined the factory wires to cut and tap into and it worked perfectly. I was on my own trying to figure out where the reverse signal wire was though. iDataLink, JVC, and Crutchfield install manuals don't mention it at all. I found it though and now as soon as I shift into reverse, backup camera shows up on the head unit display. So nice!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used this interface to connect the Android radio to the JBL system in the Sienna.

Metra TYTO-01 JBL Amplifier Interface Harness

I purchase it on Amazon.

I was able to connect the SW1 and SW2 wires to the Android radio without having to buy a steering wheel integration kit by just following the directions in this youtube video.

I also purchased an Atoto unit and the Metra TYTO-01 and can not get the harness to fit. How did you manage it?
My 2006 Sienna had a 12 pin, 8 pin, and I believe a 20 pin. I have a feeling I might have purchased the wrong interface

·
Registered
2 Posts
After some research and contacting customer support it was indeed the wrong interface. My Sienna did not come with the JBL amplifier and required the Metra 70-1761 harness instead and everything fit. Was also able to get steering wheel controls working too through some diagrams. This was a good learning experience.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also purchased an Atoto unit and the Metra TYTO-01 and can not get the harness to fit. How did you manage it?
My 2006 Sienna had a 12 pin, 8 pin, and I believe a 20 pin. I have a feeling I might have purchased the wrong interface
Which Atoto head unit did you buy for your sienna.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts