Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been searching and looks like the tallest tire I’ve seen up here has been roughly a 29 issssh... I was wondering if the folks who have done the Journey’s lift, what is the TALLEST tire I could shove in. I do not mind trimming plastic! I want to run a 17” x7.5 wheel with spacers if that helps at all? I also want to run a KO2.... I’d love a 31 but don’t want it to be rubbing anything metal. I’m pretty creative with a heat gun and massaging plastic for rubbing issues on my old subie with KO2s and no lift!

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
more than anything you will blow the drive shafts, the wheel bearings and all suspension bushings with that kind of weight......you really waan touch the suspension geometry and open a pandora's box of life long fixing.....ask me how I know this....(Ex Jeep Wrangler owner, currently on a F150)

javvy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for you knowledgeable input! So with the journeys lift, like I mentioned, and a proper alignment ( I know the cv shafts will need to be replaced because no matter the corrected angle you cant get it to exactly what it was before lift).....im curious to the tallest tire available for said lift. I know a van will never be a rock crawler, BUT I want the most addition ground clearance I can get. I live way up a private drive that washes out often. Every cm matters(to me).

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
The best option would be to call the customer service at Journeys and ask them, They must have tested the max tire height. Worst case eliminate the wheel splash shields completely or make your own or use the heat and reform them to clear your tires.

Have you thought about Control arm bushings, Tie rod end bushings, Ball Joints, power steering end joints, Sway bar ends, brake lines, ABS Lines.

javvy

·
Registered
200 Posts
IMO - The Sienna is the wrong vehicle to do lifts and larger tires, that's why we have a 4Runner and a Sienna. One for comfort, space and trips, and the other for more fun adventures and freedom to try other roads or no roads.

The 2021 Highlander Trail version may be a choice for more space and comfort for off-road trips with more clearance and better traction control choices than a Sienna.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think (and yes I will probably sound like “that guy”) seeing the unexpected and unique is the most intriguing part for me. Also when the kids get older and I pick them up from school, I want to be “that dad” that picks them up in a Sienna that other dads in vans will possibly drool over and create conversation....Will it be “The Toyota Sienna” that they put on a Taco frame with the amazing lift and suspension on.... No, but for the road I live on (I also have a double cab Taco for when it is very bad), the little lift aspect will actually help, annnnnd look good as well. All the points Javvy brings up are key, and I appreciate the response!
..... I will be posting before, after pics of the build, as I plan on doing other stuff (custom bumper front and rear when time and funds allow) and other odds and ends to make it they way I want it to look (what I think will look cool) while also Keeping a function aspect in mind as well!
Any and all input (even if you thinkit’s completely redonkulous) is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Food for thought...!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am putting on the Journey's lift and putting on bigger tires. The question is not what size you can cram into the wheel wells but more about gearing. The max size is listed on the website but stay smaller because you can't change your gearing. I am going down to a 16" rim. If you are buying rims, don't do spacers, get a different offset. Calculated, you can do an 8" rim. I'm shooting for bigger stance (offset) and wider tire rather than height so I can still run on the mountain highways.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Journeys has the tire sizes on their site, I have 06 with journeys. In the winter I stay with stock size to I have more space in wheel wells and the snow sheds itself instead of building up. I also spray the wheel wells with cooking oil to help reduce the build up. iIn summer I went up to a 245 for more sidewall and fill the wheel well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Max tire size from Journeys is 245/65/17, which is around 29.5" diameter. I just did the lift and used that size tire and had a lot of rubbing. However, I used a very different offset (on purpose) that is the main culprit. Trimming plastic was not enough and shop said they would have to cut pinch welds, etc to make it work. I declined and went to a diff size tire to keep the wheels. All good now. Many others have kept the OEM offset (+35ish) and used the 29.5" tire with no major issues. In my opinion, a 31" tire is a definite no-go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I’ve been searching and looks like the tallest tire I’ve seen up here has been roughly a 29 issssh... I was wondering if the folks who have done the Journey’s lift, what is the TALLEST tire I could shove in. I do not mind trimming plastic! I want to run a 17” x7.5 wheel with spacers if that helps at all? I also want to run a KO2.... I’d love a 31 but don’t want it to be rubbing anything metal. I’m pretty creative with a heat gun and massaging plastic for rubbing issues on my old subie with KO2s and no lift!
I have a 2015 le sienna AWD I had Journey lift installed. No need to replace cv . I put Nokia 255/55 R 18 on my stock rims also installed spacers. It rubs just a tad when turning sharp, in reverse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im running 245/60/R18 Falken AT's on my 2011 with Journey's lift.
View attachment 47547
Greeve4,

Great job !
I went with 235/60/18 Falken’s using the factory wheels (2013 AWD LE). No rubbing or offsets, amazing in snow.

I’m dreaming of the journey lift, but javvy hits on Some my concerns. I go on very, very long road trips, nothing overly aggressive, but many forest roads. I’m afraid the lift may compromise the reliability of the car and leave we stranded in god knows where. Before Covid I was planning a trip to the Arctic Circle, breakdowns would be a disaster. Can anyone report long term results

One other thing, Your using factory wheels, what process did you use To have them blacked out
thx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im running 245/60/R18 Falken AT's on my 2011 with Journey's lift.
View attachment 47547
Bmstr

I replied to the wrong person

Great job !
I went with 235/60/18 Falken’s using the factory wheels (2013 AWD LE). No rubbing or offsets, amazing in snow.

I’m dreaming of the journey lift, but javvy hits on Some my concerns. I go on very, very long road trips, nothing overly aggressive, but many forest roads. I’m afraid the lift may compromise the reliability of the car and leave we stranded in god knows where. Before Covid I was planning a trip to the Arctic Circle, breakdowns would be a disaster. Can anyone report long term results

One other thing, Your using factory wheels, what process did you use To have them blacked out
thx

SaveShare

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bmstr

I replied to the wrong person

Great job !

thx

SaveShare
Hope the long term reliability will be good - I'd worry the most about the CV angles on the front (rear is no issue). Having run many lifts on IFS with CV's, I still expect to get 50K out of a CV with typical road use with 20% or so on light off-road/fire road use.

Then wheels are just plasitidip - I did a set about 4 years ago and they still look fine even with salted roads and lots of freezing temps. Pretty easy to do if you look at one of the many how-to's available.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
The cv's/driveshafts need to be extendable, check out the latest EV HUMVE video they talk about the extendable CV/driveshafts, BMW bikes use them extensively, I just serviced my R1200GS which is shaft driven and the drive shaft is extendable to compensate for the extreme rear wheel articulation......

That's why jeeps have solid-axle where you don't have to worry about the extreme articulation angles, agreed that our vans will be nowhere near those extreme angles, but still, the OE CV's/driveshafts have very very little play in them to compensate for the small wheel articulation, anything beyond those angles you will have to find a way to keep those cv's and drive shafts intact and still compensate for those increased articulation angles....

Javvy

·
Registered
73 Posts
more than anything you will blow the drive shafts, the wheel bearings and all suspension bushings with that kind of weight......you really waan touch the suspension geometry and open a pandora's box of life long fixing.....ask me how I know this....(Ex Jeep Wrangler owner, currently on a F150)

javvy
I think the concerns expressed here are a bit exaggerated. There are several members here who've had the Journeys kit on for thousands of miles, in some cases tens of thousands, with no serious issues. Comparing a Sienna to a Jeep or Ford pickup is sort of an apples and oranges comparison, both with regard to overall reliability and their intended uses.

I had the Journeys install their kit in our 2015 AWD Limited about a month ago. So I'm obviously a bit biased and do not have long term experience myself. But I tried to do my homework and I'm pretty conservative with such matters, e.g. I've owned two 4runners and kept them basically stock. One thing that helped convince me that the Journeys kit would be pretty reliable is the fact that Kendall Toyota in Bend, Oregon is installing the kits and they are a Toyota dealer. Mike at Journeys told me they had sold at least 25 of their kits to Kendall. If a dealer is willing to install them and stand behind them, that's a pretty good sign IMO.

I'm running bigger tires, but went from 18" to 17" wheel size. The bigger tires may be a bit heavier, but it should be noted that the runflats that come on AWDs are very heavy for their size. So probably not a big difference there.

That all being said, it's certainly possible, and even likely that some suspension parts will need replacing more often with the lift than in a stock vehicle, depending on how the vehicle is driven. I've seen some videos of people using their Siennas like they were a lifted pickup. That's just asking for trouble. I take it really easy on rough roads with the understanding that this is a bit outside the normal usage for a Sienna.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts