Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a 92 TnC AWD, it was a fun van for me back then since I only use it for camping and skiing. Then I moved to 04 Sienna LE AWD for the kid.
We have been van-less since 2011 and for the last couple months, I have been thinking about going back to the mini van world.

Saw a 05 TnC Limited (stow n go) yesterday. All the features but as expected, many "small" problems. Power sliding doors and lift gate can only be opened by the key fod or from the overhead console inside. Using the outside handle do nothing. Just want to see if there any past/current TnC owners to give me some input on the van.

I know this is a Toyota Sienna forum and I loved our Sienna. The reason I look at TnC is just it cost way less in the used car market compares to Toyota/Honda ( Honda, tranny issue?)

·
Registered
940 Posts
My inlaws have two Chrysler vans, I have a Toyota. The only advantage is stow n go. Otherwise, the Toyota is light years ahead of chrysler.

The toyota has close to 100 hp on the Chrysler, but gets better gas mileage and is quieter. The toyota will have a 5 spd tranny, chrysler is stuck with a 4 spd.

The button layout on the chrysler is maddening. I challenge anyone activate the rear wiper on a chrysler van in less than 10 minutes (hint, look at the radio). Speaking of radio, try and find the radio buttons on the steering wheel (hint, look at the backside of the wheel, then memorize what each button does).

The chrysler van has a crude suspension setup compared to the toyota, and the difference is very noticeable when driving one versus the other. The toyota is quieter and has a more refined feel.

The Toyota seats are far more comfortable compared to the chrysler. The seat bottoms in the chrysler (2nd and 3rd row) have a very steep angle front to back. And, there is no toe room under the seats in the chrysler - second row due to stow and go, front row due to underseat drawer / power seat mechanism. So, the Toyota has more legroom in all of the rows. I personally think the rear seat of the toyota is more comfortable than ANY seat in the chrysler.

I could keep going...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a surprised to hear those feedback especially since I once was a Sienna owner and I am 100% agree with you guys.
The reason I look at the T&C is cost. Saw one 2005 with 127k miles for $6K, for Sienna, the cheapest 04+ is near $10K. I already have a HL and Avalon at home so we don't want a van that is too NEW (don't want full coverage insurance). We could go with a newer 2011+ but we will need to unload the 07 HL but then we will lose the AWD thing.

We are still "thinking" (of course wife is Toyota fan) while I am more like which car has better value overall.... The other van I look at is 01-03 Sienna XLE, they are still at least $1-$2K higher then T&C.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would ditto Happy Camper that the only advantage to the Chrysler is the stow and go. I just traded in my 08 Caravan for the Sienna and the only thing I miss is that big storage bin. But, we paid for that storage bin with uncomfortable seats that needed to fit in the bin. I'll take cushier seats, thanks. Other than that the T&C is way cheaper because it is way cheaper, kwim?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Before the sienna I have 2 Chrysler minivans and I could say that they are 100% JUNK.

The first one have a issue that burn the oil inside the engine, because of this one day the engine broke and it cost me a lot of money to repair it, then I made the error to buy the new Chrysler Minivan the same model as you can see right now and the transmission failed at only 15,000km.

Also the second minivan have big issued with the sliding doors that reopen when they were at over 70% of closing, this could be dangerous because a kid could get out without you knowing it. After a lot of software upgrades the issue was less frequent but there was always a day that they failed.

Also this second minivan has sound issues in the suspension. And other things that my brain could not remember.

If you want a junk minivan buy a Chrysler, if you want a good high quality minivan buy a Toyota Sienna.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had one of that generation that served us really well. It was a 2006 and didn't have any of the issues other people so alarming protest about. It lived much of its second life in Rhode Island, putting up with much abuse from the roads (and my brother) and didn't have any suspension problems. Even minor stuff like a ball joint didn't go out.

Every vehicle can be a lemon, or a gem. Every used vehicle can be a lemon, or a gem.

If you look at a used vehicle, check it out and get a mechanic to look it over too. Find out all that you can.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I READ about the 2010 vs 2012 Town & Country. They may look the same from the outside but I think 2012 is a NEW redesign with better engine and more refine.

I actually rented a 2012 around summer and took it for a road trip. My kids loved the stow n go. The van drove great (not sure about the 2010). One complaint I have is the chrome inside the car. The chrome on the front vents near the winodws have poor reflection during the day. Whenever I checked my mirror, I would see the chrome reflection which I hated.

As for the 2006 Sienna, they are reliable but boring. I picked up a 2005 about a month ago (used to have 04). second row and 3rd row do have more space and feel more comfortable vs stow n go.

·
Banned
184 Posts
I have a 2004 caravan and I don't see them being bad vehicles, it never developed any major issues and never left me stranded.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all! New here as of about 5 minutes ago and was drawn to this post! We have had an 04 Caravan an 04 T&C and an 06 T&C and I have to say that they are truly trashy vans once you hit 100k miles. High Pressure PS line, PS pump, Pwr sliding doors, Pwr liftgate, Sway bar bushings, Sway bar end links, etc..... They are such a pain in the but unless 1) You don't do your own work on the vehicles and 2) You have alot of money to pay other people to work on the vehicles!

We just bought an 04 Sienna after a TON of research and we are certainly impressed so far. It's a Pearl White XLE with an aftermarket DVD player and it has 105k miles. Carfax showed it to be a one owner with no big issues! Woohoooo!!!

·
Banned
184 Posts
Hi all! New here as of about 5 minutes ago and was drawn to this post! We have had an 04 Caravan an 04 T&C and an 06 T&C and I have to say that they are truly trashy vans once you hit 100k miles. High Pressure PS line, PS pump, Pwr sliding doors, Pwr liftgate, Sway bar bushings, Sway bar end links, etc..... They are such a pain in the but unless 1) You don't do your own work on the vehicles and 2) You have alot of money to pay other people to work on the vehicles!

We just bought an 04 Sienna after a TON of research and we are certainly impressed so far. It's a Pearl White XLE with an aftermarket DVD player and it has 105k miles. Carfax showed it to be a one owner with no big issues! Woohoooo!!!
trashy???my 2004 caravan anniversary edition has close to 105,000 miles or 175,000 kms and I don't see any problems like that...I don't have the power sliders or hatch but those were easy fixes as their were usually break in the wiring going to the sliders, the ps line and pump failed because your ps reservoir was probably clogged as their was no filter just fine mesh, it was a 01-07 Chrysler minivan problem and you did use ATF+4 for the ps steering right? did u have groaning steering or vibration from steering? all major causes of a bad ps resevir. sway bar and links were a major fault in the 4th gen caravans/town and country. changed your ADP pulley yet? I've seen these Chrysler vans go 400+ thousand miles, the engines are really reliable and as long as you do a tranny drop and fill plus filter change with ATF+4 only every 60,000 miles your transmission will last forever.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That was EXACTLY the problem on the sliding doors every single time they failed. VERY ANNOYING! The rear liftgate motor failed twice. The PS line didn't fail b/c of the clogged screen integral in the pump because I changed the pump cause it was soo cheap simply because I was already breaking the system open. After replacing it I cut it open and checked the screen and it was very clean. Maybe the previous owner replaced it once prior to trading it in! Either way, it was simply a failed PS line. No groaning or anything prior. (And of course ATF+4 was used ;) ) I did replace the ADP pulley and the belt as son as we bought it cause of the noise it was making when we were looking at it at the dealership. The fact of the matter is, if the engine lasts 400+ thousand miles or not, when the rest of the vehicle requires you to always work on it, you're not enjoying your ownership of the vehicle!

·
Banned
184 Posts
That was EXACTLY the problem on the sliding doors every single time they failed. VERY ANNOYING! The rear liftgate motor failed twice. The PS line didn't fail b/c of the clogged screen integral in the pump because I changed the pump cause it was soo cheap simply because I was already breaking the system open. After replacing it I cut it open and checked the screen and it was very clean. Maybe the previous owner replaced it once prior to trading it in! Either way, it was simply a failed PS line. No groaning or anything prior. (And of course ATF+4 was used ;) ) I did replace the ADP pulley and the belt as son as we bought it cause of the noise it was making when we were looking at it at the dealership. The fact of the matter is, if the engine lasts 400+ thousand miles or not, when the rest of the vehicle requires you to always work on it, you're not enjoying your ownership of the vehicle!
the ps reservoir screen can look clean but when you take a rag and try wiping the screen you'll see how dirty it is. honestly my 04 caravan doesn't require me to always work on it the only things that I have to do with mine right now is the original belt, tensioner, ADP pulley and ps reservoir. otherwise I have no other problems with this van. do you still have either of your Chrysler minivans? what ther problems dd u encounter while owing yours? honestly you should ignore all the people who say that the trannys are still unreliable in these vans.. these trannys that Chrysler put in these vans since 2001 have been really reliable with very few breaking down, you should know you've owned 3 of them. I still can't believe that people say these vans are unreliable when they never owned one, and If these vans were so unreliable then why are they the best selling vans in the world with over 13million sold since 1983. just look around theirs a Chrysler minivan every turn you make. people just think that because its a Honda or Toyota/imports they'll last forever and their the most reliable things on the road when they can develop the same amount of problems as ford, gm ,or Chrysler/domestic products.

·
Administrator
142 Posts
My mom owned a 96 and 05 TnC. The 96 was a good car until it fell apart in 06.

The 05 was good until 2010/2011 when it fell apart. Chrysler products have not suited our family well. The 05 had many problems. Water pump failed, drivers side window, one power door, coolant leak, alternator, parking brake cable... The list goes on and on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just got rid of my 06 Chrapler/Dodge (79K miles) for my 2013 Sienna

Here are some of the problems that plagued my vehicle. Purchased new in 2006

1) Misc AC/components had to be replaced, within 1 or 2 years (recall item)
2) Replaced tie-rods after 3 years
3) First water pump replacement 5 years after purchase
4) Front brake calipers 3 years after purchase
5) Driver side Power side door motor replacement, 4 years after purchase (likely misdiagnosis by dealership)
6) Interior plastic materials break off (various period of time after purchase)
7) Passenger side sliding doorlock fails (6 years after purchase)
8) Driver side sliding door lock fails (6 years after purchase)
9) 2nd water pump fails (6 years after purchase, 1 year after replacement fails)
10) Rust bubbles on hood
11) Rust on rear quarter (possibly due to a crack in the roof according to the Chrapler minivan website)
12) Passenger side and Driver side sliding doors fail again (6 years after purchase (3 years after first replacement))
* Turns out this is a simple fix I did by soldering a broken wire

That is all I can remember off hand. Would never buy another Chrapler minivan!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
One thing I will say with Chrysler minivans, when I went to my local wrecking yard there was one first gen Sienna and there were about 6 previous generation body style caravans. Used parts are more plenty due to the fact that they sell a ton of Caravans compared to Siennas.

Regards, JC.

·
Banned
184 Posts
Just got rid of my 06 Chrapler/Dodge (79K miles) for my 2013 Sienna

Here are some of the problems that plagued my vehicle. Purchased new in 2006

1) Misc AC/components had to be replaced, within 1 or 2 years (recall item)
2) Replaced tie-rods after 3 years
3) First water pump replacement 5 years after purchase
4) Front brake calipers 3 years after purchase
5) Driver side Power side door motor replacement, 4 years after purchase (likely misdiagnosis by dealership)
6) Interior plastic materials break off (various period of time after purchase)
7) Passenger side sliding doorlock fails (6 years after purchase)
8) Driver side sliding door lock fails (6 years after purchase)
9) 2nd water pump fails (6 years after purchase, 1 year after replacement fails)
10) Rust bubbles on hood
11) Rust on rear quarter (possibly due to a crack in the roof according to the Chrapler minivan website)
12) Passenger side and Driver side sliding doors fail again (6 years after purchase (3 years after first replacement))
* Turns out this is a simple fix I did by soldering a broken wire

That is all I can remember off hand. Would never buy another Chrapler minivan!
Whats going on NeverAgain, funny I'd see you here,i'm from the Chrysler minivan site as well and I love the Chrysler minivans.
Everything you mentioned here matches everything on the Chrysler minivan site; http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/37089-What-a-piece-of-garbage?highlight=, and http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/37313-Time-to-say-goodby?highlight=

I'm one of the major contributors to the site, guess which one!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Whats going on NeverAgain, funny I'd see you here,i'm from the Chrysler minivan site as well and I love the Chrysler minivans.
Everything you mentioned here matches everything on the Chrysler minivan site; http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/37089-What-a-piece-of-garbage?highlight=, and http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/37313-Time-to-say-goodby?highlight=

I'm one of the major contributors to the site, guess which one!
Yep ...
Got rid of my Chrapler/Dodge last week.
Hence the new home.
Can I get banned here saying that Chraplers are junk?
Definition: dodge-to avoid
Consumer Reports Dodge Grand Caravan expected reliability - much worse than average

1 - 20 of 25 Posts