Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else having problems with “miles to empty” and the actual fuel gauge being wonky? By mileage to empty will continue to indicate about 500 miles for the tank, up until i park on a hill (tank thinks it’s been emptied then refilled so it resets the tank mpg). When i restart, it loses 150 miles off that estimate, and the fuel gauge drops a quarter tank and stays there. Can’t tell if it’s a hardware or software issue.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope that’s all it is and not a software issue. A reviewer i saw on YouTube had trouble during their test drive with the mpg on the display matching an actual measurement.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD
54 Posts
Yes, this happened for me after parking on a slope. Pretty normal behavior for gas gauges to do such a thing, but usually it will fix itself after leveling the vehicle out for a few minutes. In this Sienna, it's like the software forces it to remember the lower fuel level, and won't allow it to go up on its own. The needle stayed in the same spot for 3 days and probably 70 miles or so. Just today it has started to go down. I think there is definitely some kind of issue that needs to be looked into here.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, this happened for me after parking on a slope. Pretty normal behavior for gas gauges to do such a thing, but usually it will fix itself after leveling the vehicle out for a few minutes. In this Sienna, it's like the software forces it to remember the lower fuel level, and won't allow it to go up on its own. The needle stayed in the same spot for 3 days and probably 50 miles or so. Just today it has started to go down. I think there is definitely some kind of issue that needs to be looked into here.
I’m gonna call Toyota customer service, maybe if everybody else does the same it will get fixed?🤷‍♂️🤞

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just called Toyota, the customer service guy goes, "wow! This is the first I'm hearing from a '21 Sienna Owner!". Forwarded the concern about this and the bumper cavity grabbing snow to the "regional office" who I'm supposed to hear from tomorrow. If anybody else has this issue, please call them, (800)331-4331. The more they hear from us, the more likely a fix will be.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My fuel gauge does move slightly, now touching the letter F where it was above before. The range calculation is decreasing, now at 512, where it was 558 before.
I would use the range sensor as my actual gauge. The gas gauge doesn't look to be linear.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree the gas gauge doesn’t seem to be linear. Problem with the range reading is that dropped by 150 miles just after these hill parking incidents, despite no change in my average mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our new 2021 Sienna (XLE) fuel gauge seems to be stuck on F. We driven about 150 miles, but the gauge hasn’t decreased at all. We just called our service department, but has anyone else experienced this issue?

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, that’s the same issue. Now watch to see if it rapidly goes down after it moves off of full.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD
54 Posts
I wish there was a a digital reading for actual fuel used/remaining (gallons/liters). Most of the time Distance to Empty is fine, but if there is a significant change in driving behavior/conditions, it loses accuracy.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish there was a a digital reading for actual fuel used/remaining (gallons/liters). Most of the time Distance to Empty is fine, but if there is a significant change in driving behavior/conditions, it loses accuracy.
Agreed, and this has the added problem of “knowing” when the tank has been filled. However, parking on a slope makes it think it’s been filled.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD
54 Posts
I had a 08 Caddy and 16 Buick that would show gallons used. My 13 F-150 has it. But this $50k+ brand new 21 model doesn’t. Go figure.

·
Banned
202 Posts
Seems most of my other cars stay on full just as long. Hey as long as it gets accurate after half way down the gauge, I'm good.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm at 1/4 of my first filled tank and it seems to be linear. I don't feel that it got stuck at F. The gauge started to move below F after an initial 180 miles - so no issues here.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Our new 2021 Sienna (XLE) fuel gauge seems to be stuck on F. We driven about 150 miles, but the gauge hasn’t decreased at all. We just called our service department, but has anyone else experienced this issue?
Same issue here. Have about 130 miles on the odometer and fuel gauge is still on F. Miles to empty keeps dropping as expected. Hopefully the problem goes away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, I've been experiencing this issue as well. We have a 2021 Toyota Sienna Platinum. I've driven 100 miles on this fill up, and the gauge is stuck on F for the second time. Before, I was less cognizant of the need to watch it as this is only the second fill up since purchasing the vehicle, so I'm not sure how many miles I drove until the drop below F on the fuel gauge the first time, but it did happen the first time as well.

What was really scary, though, is a couple of days ago I'm driving along and it says I've got 150 miles left until empty. Then, all of a sudden, I've got only 25 miles left in the tank, then not long after, no reading at all, just the warning that I need to fill up as soon as possible. I got to the gas station to fill up, only to be able to get 12 gallons in it, when I know it's an 18 gallon tank. Here's some more detail. I had parked on a slope overnight. When I started the vehicle, it did not initially show 25 miles left in the tank. Rather, it did that after having driven the vehicle for 10 minutes. I drove the vehicle for another 20 minutes and still no correction on the reading up until filling up at the gas station. Has anybody else had a similar experience?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my 2021 Sienna about 2 weeks ago. When the dealership filled up the gas tank it said I had 648 miles till empty. I have filled up twice since then. The first time I filled up it said I had 550 miles till empty and then two days ago it said I have 510 miles till empty. Why does my miles to empty keep going down?

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Everyone that's been experiencing this issue after parking on a slope, can you remember if you parked facing up hill or down hill?
I think the issue for me was most noticeable when the tank was below half, and either parked up or down hill did the same thing. After calling toyota and taking the van to the dealership, they couldn't find anything wrong with the electronics, but that's all they did. They unplugged the battery in the back to reset some stuff, then tested the sensors and everything was fine. But they didn't try to recreate the issue. I would highly recommend anybody who is having this issue call Toyota and tell them about it so we might be able to get somebody to look in to it: (800)331-4331

1 - 20 of 55 Posts