Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I purchased my 2021 Sienna about 2 weeks ago. When the dealership filled up the gas tank it said I had 648 miles till empty. I have filled up twice since then. The first time I filled up it said I had 550 miles till empty and then two days ago it said I have 510 miles till empty. Why does my miles to empty keep going down?
I could be wrong, but I believe small deviations like that (from 550 to 510) are expected based on your most recent average MPG. If you're doing a bunch of highway miles, then fill up and change to mostly stop and go driving, the MPG could change which would change the average, which would change the miles to empty. The issue with the hill parking changes the gauge so drastically that it can go from 150 miles to 0.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Everyone that's been experiencing this issue after parking on a slope, can you remember if you parked facing up hill or down hill?
I believe it was facing downhill, but I can't be dogmatic about it because I park on the the parking pad outside my house in both directions, depending on the day. As an update to my last post, I now have 150 miles of gas used on this trip, and the gauge has barely budged to be only slightly, slightly less than F.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased my 2021 Sienna about 2 weeks ago. When the dealership filled up the gas tank it said I had 648 miles till empty. I have filled up twice since then. The first time I filled up it said I had 550 miles till empty and then two days ago it said I have 510 miles till empty. Why does my miles to empty keep going down?
I experienced the same think. Mine started at 580 miles till empty after the dealership filled it up. Both fill ups after that have shown 511 miles until empty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would highly recommend anybody who is having this issue call Toyota and tell them about it so we might be able to get somebody to look in to it: (800)331-4331
Done. I just got off the phone with Toyota corporate using the number you provided. They are going to have my dealership reach out to me so they can schedule a service appointment and can look into getting this issue addressed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks @thaum17 ! If they figure something out would you mind posting it here so I can bring it back to my dealer?
Yes, will do. My dealership took only 15 minutes to reach out to me. I'm going to schedule with them soon. They said they would keep the Sienna until they could replicate the issue and give me a free rental during that time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a FWD XSE and had the same issue. It appeared stuck on full and then dropped to half. I made a service appointment and it started working fine again. I cancelled the appointment and next day I parked overnight and it dropped from half to empty. I parked forward down on a slope and this appears to have caused it. I will make another appointment and post here of any solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As a previous 2019 RAV4 owner (It was lemon'd), "DTE" and "Fuel Gauge" are trigger words. The RAV4 was America's best selling SUV and a huge spotlight was put on the widespread gas tank issue of the Hybrids where they would be unable to fill to capacity due to the saddle-shaped tank.

I wonder if the knowledge of the RAV4 issue has made people hypochondriacal and scrutinize the DTE readings and fuel gauge of the Sienna.

In my experience, the fuel gauge in all the cars I've ever driven does not move linearly when filled to the top. I also think the fuel tank issue that you guys are seeing in the 2021 Sienna is exacerbated by the fact that it has an 18 gallon tank and relatively high fuel economy.

FWIW I was given a loaner 2019 Hybrid Camry for 3 days which I averaged 55+MPG; I drove the wheels off the thing and gave it back to them without topping up the car because the needle never budged, they never charged me for the missing gas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an incline driveway and I always have this issue when I park my ‘21 Sienna with the tail facing my house. Glad to hear this isn’t just effecting my car. I have a 2010 ford edge that has no issues with the tank no matter which way i park it. My bro in law had the same issue with his 2021 explorer when he parked on my driveway as well. I wonder if this is some change in the way they build those components. Anyway, ill be calling as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fuel gauge readings on my XSE AWD was not linear at the upper end (above "F") which is kind of generally expected. Upon refueling to max, gauge has stayed at above the Full mark for about 120 miles when it finally moves down to the "F" mark. Fuel gauge movement was a bit more linear from here: 240 miles at the 3/4 mark, and 344 miles at the half mark. Didn't take it below this. I re-fueled at this point to max: 9.6 gallons, which works out to be 35.8 mpg, which is consistent with the computed numbers on the dash.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
As a previous 2019 RAV4 owner (It was lemon'd), "DTE" and "Fuel Gauge" are trigger words. The RAV4 was America's best selling SUV and a huge spotlight was put on the widespread gas tank issue of the Hybrids where they would be unable to fill to capacity due to the saddle-shaped tank.

I wonder if the knowledge of the RAV4 issue has made people hypochondriacal and scrutinize the DTE readings and fuel gauge of the Sienna.

In my experience, the fuel gauge in all the cars I've ever driven does not move linearly when filled to the top. I also think the fuel tank issue that you guys are seeing in the 2021 Sienna is exacerbated by the fact that it has an 18 gallon tank and relatively high fuel economy.

FWIW I was given a loaner 2019 Hybrid Camry for 3 days which I averaged 55+MPG; I drove the wheels off the thing and gave it back to them without topping up the car because the needle never budged, they never charged me for the missing gas.
Thanks @HikenBike I haven't heard of the RAV4 issue, but will ask next time I'm at the dealer. I totally agree that it wouldn't be linear when full, that's been the case with every car I've had. It's also been the case with every car I have that the needle will move when parked on a slope (makes sense, the fuel moves around). What's new in this vehicle is that when the needle moves because I parked on a hill, it doesn't move back (even after driving 140 miles on flat terrain). It's like the reading doesn't get updated by the system, so it just waits until the fuel level gets to that sensor again, and then moves down. It's not a huge issue, but it is impacting the computer that determines Miles to Empty, and the total MPG per tank. I'd imagine Toyota would have to do quite a bit of software and hardware work on those sensors and systems to fix it, and ultimately it's not a huge deal, but as posted above, it can be worrying if your car says you're 1/4 full then empty, you rush to a gas station to find you still have 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks @HikenBike I haven't heard of the RAV4 issue, but will ask next time I'm at the dealer. I totally agree that it wouldn't be linear when full, that's been the case with every car I've had. It's also been the case with every car I have that the needle will move when parked on a slope (makes sense, the fuel moves around). What's new in this vehicle is that when the needle moves because I parked on a hill, it doesn't move back (even after driving 140 miles on flat terrain). It's like the reading doesn't get updated by the system, so it just waits until the fuel level gets to that sensor again, and then moves down. It's not a huge issue, but it is impacting the computer that determines Miles to Empty, and the total MPG per tank. I'd imagine Toyota would have to do quite a bit of software and hardware work on those sensors and systems to fix it, and ultimately it's not a huge deal, but as posted above, it can be worrying if your car says you're 1/4 full then empty, you rush to a gas station to find you still have 1/4 tank.
My apologies. I misunderstood the issue. Well, keep this thread updated then. I wish I knew this was possible when I rented out the Sienna, I would totally be willing to go park up on a steep hill to test it out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, I've been experiencing this issue as well. We have a 2021 Toyota Sienna Platinum. I've driven 100 miles on this fill up, and the gauge is stuck on F for the second time. Before, I was less cognizant of the need to watch it as this is only the second fill up since purchasing the vehicle, so I'm not sure how many miles I drove until the drop below F on the fuel gauge the first time, but it did happen the first time as well.

What was really scary, though, is a couple of days ago I'm driving along and it says I've got 150 miles left until empty. Then, all of a sudden, I've got only 25 miles left in the tank, then not long after, no reading at all, just the warning that I need to fill up as soon as possible. I got to the gas station to fill up, only to be able to get 12 gallons in it, when I know it's an 18 gallon tank. Here's some more detail. I had parked on a slope overnight. When I started the vehicle, it did not initially show 25 miles left in the tank. Rather, it did that after having driven the vehicle for 10 minutes. I drove the vehicle for another 20 minutes and still no correction on the reading up until filling up at the gas station. Has anybody else had a similar experience?
My gas tank story is most similar to yours and others as well. It’s my first hybrid vehicle and it was stuck on Full for roughly 180 miles til it started to move. But after my first full up, it started to go down like normal.

I had 1/4 tank left and I parked to grab something for no more than 5 mins and when I restarted the car, the light was on and needle way below E. So had to fill up of course. Just in case but only filled it to half.
So I brought it to Toyota and had them take a look. The kept it for a day to drive continuously to 1/4 tank and came back inconclusive. Couldn’t figure it out but Atleast they filled up my tank lol. Just going to monitor it for now and return to shop if it happens again

·
Registered
320 Posts
My gas tank story is most similar to yours and others as well. It’s my first hybrid vehicle and it was stuck on Full for roughly 180 miles til it started to move. But after my first full up, it started to go down like normal.

I had 1/4 tank left and I parked to grab something for no more than 5 mins and when I restarted the car, the light was on and needle way below E. So had to fill up of course. Just in case but only filled it to half.
So I brought it to Toyota and had them take a look. The kept it for a day to drive continuously to 1/4 tank and came back inconclusive. Couldn’t figure it out but Atleast they filled up my tank lol. Just going to monitor it for now and return to shop if it happens again
I hope this is just due to not parking on the level. It is flat as a pancake here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hope this is just due to not parking on the level. It is flat as a pancake here.
My car has been parked mostly (90%+) on flat levels so it’s pretty alarming that it fell to way below empty almost instantly after turning on the car. Will update once I reach 1/4 tank if it happens again

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody else having problems with “miles to empty” and the actual fuel gauge being wonky? By mileage to empty will continue to indicate about 500 miles for the tank, up until i park on a hill (tank thinks it’s been emptied then refilled so it resets the tank mpg). When i restart, it loses 150 miles off that estimate, and the fuel gauge drops a quarter tank and stays there. Can’t tell if it’s a hardware or software issue.
Yes has happened to me for the last 2 tanks. No hill involved though so going to get it serviced next week to see if it is a sensor issue. I went from having 220 left then 20 but gas gauge didn’t go on. Last refill gas gauge went on but the tank was definitely not close to being empty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I posted about this a couple of months ago. I too park on an uphill every evening. It still registered full for about the first ~200 miles, then it will suddenly drop to 3/4 full, but then it seems to be mostly linear after that initial drop. I brought it into my dealer at the very beginning, but they had no clue and "couldn't find anything wrong." Luckily, it seems to work fine after the initial drop. If anyone hears anything substantial from a dealer, please reply all. thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anybody else having problems with “miles to empty” and the actual fuel gauge being wonky? By mileage to empty will continue to indicate about 500 miles for the tank, up until i park on a hill (tank thinks it’s been emptied then refilled so it resets the tank mpg). When i restart, it loses 150 miles off that estimate, and the fuel gauge drops a quarter tank and stays there. Can’t tell if it’s a hardware or software issue.
I purchased a Limited (Loaded) and when I drove off the lot with a full tank of gas, the display said I had 668 miles to empty. The first time I filled it up, it showed 520 miles to empty. The next fill up it showed 515. It has never shown the 668 miles to empty that Toyota advertises. I reported this, but they said this was the first time they had heard about the problem. (I assume this is a normal response.) I also have an issue with a noise (Rattling or Popping sound) that seems to be from the driver's second row seat. I reported this with the same response, (First we have heard about that.)
Other than those two things, this is a great vehicle, quite riding and great on gas mileage.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
236 Posts
I purchased a Limited (Loaded) and when I drove off the lot with a full tank of gas, the display said I had 668 miles to empty (it shows this range because before you bought it was mainly being driven around the lot/test drives, which means high use of EV mode and therefore high range).

The first time I filled it up, it showed 520 miles to empty. The next fill up it showed 515. It has never shown the 668 miles to empty that Toyota advertises. I reported this, but they said this was the first time they had heard about the problem. (I assume this is a normal response.) I also have an issue with a noise (Rattling or Popping sound) that seems to be from the driver's second row seat. I reported this with the same response, (First we have heard about that.)
Other than those two things, this is a great vehicle, quite riding and great on gas mileage.
The range display for the next tank of gas is based on your driving on the previous tanks of gas. If you drove it in such a manner during that first tank that would get less mileage than the 668 shown in tank 1, the tank 2 range will be less. This is how the Toyota range computation works in all Toyota/Lexus. My sienna and my Lexus are the same in this regard.

When I drove 2500 mile highway road trip, I was getting close to 500ish miles per tank. Prior to this, my range was 620 miles. During my trip all the range computations dropped down to 500ish given the driving conditions and what the computer was predicting for my next tank. Even after I got home the first tank fill up still showed only a 500 mile range. Only after a 2nd fill up after coming home and driving my normal style did the computer learn that I was no longer highway bound and predicted my next tank to be similar to the previous driving style, and then my range jumped back up to 600+ miles.

My Lexus operates the exact same way. Range sometimes drops to under 300 after a full tank when I've been driving aggressively, and it takes several tanks of highway and conservative driving to get the range to jump back up to 330+.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today i just experienced exact same problem. Quarter of tank gone on slop and tank mpg also reset automatically. Still showing less fuels and about 100 miles gone from distance to empty estimates. Very wearied. Anyone herd back anything from toyota about this issue? I have Toyota Sienna XLE 2021

21 - 40 of 60 Posts