Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
236 Posts
I'm unsure if I'm also having this issue. Seems odd to me the below, 150 miles on this tank and the fuel gauge has not budged from being above F like it was right after I filled up. I park flat always.

I suppose it's possible since I'm getting 40mpg but also I would think that 3-4 gallons into an 18 gallon tank would move the gauge a little?

Edit: the more I think about it I think this car just registers Full longer than other cars im used to. This is my first full up after a 2500 road trip during which I had absolutely no issues with regard to the fuel gauge operation, which included 5+ tank fill ups. I'll give it another week and see what happens, but I expect it'll start moving down soon.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm unsure if I'm also having this issue. Seems odd to me the below, 150 miles on this tank and the fuel gauge has not budged from being above F like it was right after I filled up. I park flat always.

I suppose it's possible since I'm getting 40mpg but also I would think that 3-4 gallons into an 18 gallon tank would move the gauge a little?

Edit: the more I think about it I think this car just registers Full longer than other cars im used to. This is my first full up after a 2500 road trip during which I had absolutely no issues with regard to the fuel gauge operation, which included 5+ tank fill ups. I'll give it another week and see what happens, but I expect it'll start moving down soon. View attachment 49427
All the cars I have owned in recent years have stayed on full for about the first 1/4 tank. I have no problem with it. My concern would be inaccuracy at the other end of the scale where I could run out of gas.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD
54 Posts
All the cars I have owned in recent years have stayed on full for about the first 1/4 tank. I have no problem with it.
Well, you should have a problem with it. This is 2021, and we have brand new vehicles with either faulty or very poorly designed fuel gauges. We're not dealing with cutting edge tech here.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
236 Posts
All the cars I have owned in recent years have stayed on full for about the first 1/4 tank. I have no problem with it. My concern would be inaccuracy at the other end of the scale where I could run out of gas.
Yes mine started moving off of F today after 189 miles of driving. Computron showing 40.6 mpg. Makes sense. My Lexus is like this but not as bad, I usually go 50-60 miles before it moves from F.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes I'm the same - mine stays on full for quite some time and then would suddenly drops to the 4/5 or 3/5 mark...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yes mine started moving off of F today after 189 miles of driving. Computron showing 40.6 mpg. Makes sense. My Lexus is like this but not as bad, I usually go 50-60 miles before it moves from F.
Well, you should have a problem with it. This is 2021, and we have brand new vehicles with either faulty or very poorly designed fuel gauges. We're not dealing with cutting edge tech here.
I had a full sized van years ago with a 30 gallon tank and ran out of gas with 10 gallons left in the tank because the fuel pickup tube is connected to the float and the float would not drop any further. That was a problem.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD
54 Posts
I had a full sized van years ago with a 30 gallon tank and ran out of gas with 10 gallons left in the tank because the fuel pickup tube is connected to the float and the float would not drop any further. That was a problem.
Cool story. But this is still a problem that Toyota needs to address.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a similar experience tonight. I parked at work, and I was showing 3/4 tank, with 650kms to empty. When I came out after my shift, I was now showing half a tank and the distance to empty was 360km. Huge difference! And it's a flat parking lot so was nothing to do with a slope. Everything was working fine, and the guage seemed to be linear until it reached 3/4

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar issue and my dealer reset the fuel sender gauge unit. It seems to be working now and the fuel gauge is actually moving. I’ll have a better idea when I fill it up the first time And compare what the fuel gauge reads vs. how much gas it takes. Also, my Sienna is parked on a flat surface.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Today i just experienced exact same problem. Quarter of tank gone on slop and tank mpg also reset automatically. Still showing less fuels and about 100 miles gone from distance to empty estimates. Very wearied. Anyone herd back anything from toyota about this issue? I have Toyota Sienna XLE 2021
Here is what I think is the deciding factor on gas mileage in the Hybrid Sienna 2021.
If you go on a trip and you drive 70 to 80 MPH, then you gas mileage is not going to give you a 668 miles to empty
when you fill up.
This is something I am going to try:
Fill up the car, drive around town with lower speeds, very slow acceleration on take off, no hard braking while coming to a stop, coasting down the hills when possible. If this does not increase the miles to empty, then Toyota needs to address the problem.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
236 Posts
Here is what I think is the deciding factor on gas mileage in the Hybrid Sienna 2021.
If you go on a trip and you drive 70 to 80 MPH, then you gas mileage is not going to give you a 668 miles to empty
when you fill up.
This is something I am going to try:
Fill up the car, drive around town with lower speeds, very slow acceleration on take off, no hard braking while coming to a stop, coasting down the hills when possible. If this does not increase the miles to empty, then Toyota needs to address the problem.
That's correct, because the miles to empty for your current tank is based on the recent driving conditions on the previous tank.

You'll see as you slowly chew thru the new tank, the miles to empty will decrease disproportionately to the number of miles you drive, which is how it will adjust itself back. I literally just went thru this:

Drove 2500 miles of highway, 80-90+. Filled up tank when I got home, miles to empty showing 500 miles. Prior to the road trip, it showed 610 miles.

As I drove thru this tank with my normal routine driving (not constant highway like the road trip) as you describe (slow acceleration, coasting a lot, etc.) my tank stayed on the F line for 200 miles. I was showing 41.5mpg average. For a long time the miles to empty plus trip continued to add up to just 500. As the needle finally moved off of F, I'd drive 30 miles and miles to empty would decrease by only 10 miles, etc.

Now I'm at 1/3 tank left, and my trip + miles to empty is adding up to 655. I fully expect on my next fill up the miles to empty will show 600+ again. My Lexus operates the same exact way so I think this is just how Toyota does it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar issue and my dealer reset the fuel sender gauge unit. It seems to be working now and the fuel gauge is actually moving. I’ll have a better idea when I fill it up the first time And compare what the fuel gauge reads vs. how much gas it takes. Also, my Sienna is parked on a flat surface.
Did this fix work? My car is going in tomorrow for service and wondering if this fixed it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
So with the range estimate and gas gauge both being non-linear, how do you guys feel about this?
If you drove aggressively then conservatively, its likely you will outrun the estimated range.

How many gallons of gas should you be able to use before you must refuel? Is there a second level warning? My fuel light lit up when I had 3 gallons of gas left.
Has anyone had their dealer apply some fix and have seen the gas gauge being linear?

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
236 Posts
So with the range estimate and gas gauge both being non-linear, how do you guys feel about this?
If you drove aggressively then conservatively, its likely you will outrun the estimated range.

How many gallons of gas should you be able to use before you must refuel? Is there a second level warning? My fuel light lit up when I had 3 gallons of gas left.
Has anyone had their dealer apply some fix and have seen the gas gauge being linear?
I just filled up with my estimated range showing 15 miles. The gas light came on when estimated range showed 45 miles. I put 16 gallons in, which means I had 2 gallons left. Based on the 40.4mpg the computer showing this means for me the light came on with a little under 3 gallons to go. Additionally it means I could have easily gone 40 more miles with miles to empty showing 0 before I would really risk running out of fuel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Done. I just got off the phone with Toyota corporate using the number you provided. They are going to have my dealership reach out to me so they can schedule a service appointment and can look into getting this issue addressed.
Did your dealer address? I took mine in and they say there isn't an issue. Tell me that is normal. How is normal for more than 1/2 of the tank to be used but it still shows full? I'm terrified I'm going to run out of gas and be stuck on the side of the road with 2 babies in the car

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did this fix work? My car is going in tomorrow for service and wondering if this fixed it.
Yes, it worked. The other strange thing that seems to happen to the fuel gauge is that when your tank of gas is completely full, the fuel gauge needle won’t t move for the first 150 miles or so.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
236 Posts
Yes, it worked. The other strange thing that seems to happen to the fuel gauge is that when your tank of gas is completely full, the fuel gauge needle won’t t move for the first 150 miles or so.
Thats the "normal" function though. In mine it won't off F until over 180 miles. In my Lexus it's the same thing, doesn't move off F until at least 60+ miles driven out of a total range of 300 miles.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Funny, my fuel gauge no longer behaves like its stuck for 180 miles above F. I’m 8 tanks of gas in and the gauge dropped after 70 miles after filling up.
I’m using normal mode but have no idea if its related. As mentioned before I think both range and the fuel gauge are not linear.
I’m also guilty of going 85mph on the 5 down to Palm Springs recently for a good 700 mile trip on eco.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Funny, my fuel gauge no longer behaves like its stuck for 180 miles above F. I’m 8 tanks of gas in and the gauge dropped after 70 miles after filling up.
I’m using normal mode but have no idea if its related. As mentioned before I think both range and the fuel gauge are not linear.
I’m also guilty of going 85mph on the 5 down to Palm Springs recently for a good 700 mile trip on eco.
I think the sensor and computer goes through a calibration period when new, I just picked up my Sienna on 5/3, and it took well in excess of 100 miles for the gauge to come off the F demarcation. I topped off yesterday at 284 miles and gauge reading the upper side of 5/8. I completed a 132 miles in a single post fueling drive and the gauge was reading 7/8 tank. But it also seems like the reading settles up to 1/8 tank reading after stopping the vehicle and letting it sit. In all cases - no differences in front to back or side to side in parking in my case.

·
Registered
2021 LE "Mr. Sparkolz"
11 Posts
Out of the dealership, on his first trip Mr. Sparkolz did 104 miles, after which I added 2.5 gallons of gas. The fuel gauge didn't even budge from its position - just above F.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts