Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is it gummy and greasy or does it have hard particles like sand in it? Is the coolant passage where the cap goes clean or coated with the same stuff? Any gunk in the coolant tank?

·
Registered
238 Posts
That's definitely NOT a good sign! Assuming you didn't add any of the radiator flush/stop-leak type of products, it looks like you have an emulsification of (probably) engine oil and coolant. If your van recently experienced overheating issues, you may have warped your head(s) and toasted the engine. That said, it usually takes on the brown color of engine oil rather than keeping the pink color of the coolant, so the sky may not be falling quite just yet. I would definitely do an oil change to make sure you don't have coolant in the oil. You will need to warm the engine to full temp, do a normal oil change and then pour the oil into a clear/translucent container to see if you get a bunch of water settling on the bottom if you can't tell by it looking like bad mayo. If the oil is clean, I would do a full flush of the coolant and re-fill with Toyota fluid. It's possible, if you take the van someplace like a quick-change oil chain, or some such, that one of the teens working there tried to pour the oil in the coolant instead of the engine, realized his mistake and just didn't tell you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's definitely NOT a good sign! Assuming you didn't add any of the radiator flush/stop-leak type of products, it looks like you have an emulsification of (probably) engine oil and coolant. If your van recently experienced overheating issues, you may have warped your head(s) and toasted the engine. That said, it usually takes on the brown color of engine oil rather than keeping the pink color of the coolant, so the sky may not be falling quite just yet. I would definitely do an oil change to make sure you don't have coolant in the oil. You will need to warm the engine to full temp, do a normal oil change and then pour the oil into a clear/translucent container to see if you get a bunch of water settling on the bottom if you can't tell by it looking like bad mayo. If the oil is clean, I would do a full flush of the coolant and re-fill with Toyota fluid. It's possible, if you take the van someplace like a quick-change oil chain, or some such, that one of the teens working there tried to pour the oil in the coolant instead of the engine, realized his mistake and just didn't tell you.
i just replaced this engine in my car actually. My old engine crapped out on me with 235k miles with a bad head gasket.
I went to the junk yard and got a 2005 3.3 Toyota Sienna engine and did the swap outside my garage.

i will check it when the coolant is hot,I’ll have the car off for an hour before i check so coolant doesn’t go splashing everywhere.
Update coming soon.

i touched the jelly when i realized My cap looked like that. There was no sand in it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think so, but only with the old engine went out i dumped 2 bottles of stop leak into the coolant. Obviously didn’t work and i pulled out the engine and cleaned out radiator. The new engine i got from a junk yard and installed it myself

·
Registered
523 Posts
There's still stop leak in the system, remaining after the engine swap. Both heater cores and the long lines running back to the rear heater core hold at least a gallon. Flush the cooling system to get that crap out of there. This guy says buy this relatively expensive flush chemical. I think I'd spend the $20 if I just went through the time and expense putting another engine in my van:

How to Flush Out Stop Leak from your Radiator and Cooling System

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's still stop leak in the system, remaining after the engine swap. Both heater cores and the long lines running back to the rear heater core hold at least a gallon. Flush the cooling system to get that crap out of there. This guy says buy this relatively expensive flush chemical. I think I'd spend the $20 if I just went through the time and expense putting another engine in my van:

How to Flush Out Stop Leak from your Radiator and Cooling System
You know, now that you mention it, my heater and a/c do not work. I wonder if my heater core is clogged. At this point i do remember having heater and A/C issues before the engine swap, way before the car overheated. I did notice the blend doors are moving on the vents inside the cabin but no hot air comes thru.
A nice flush of the heater core would be nice, i don’t even remember where the inlet and outlet heater hoses are on my Sienna but probably near the firewall, by the intake manifold I’m guessing.

it’s time to do a flush :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just out of curiosity are these the heater inlet and outlet heater hoses going into the heater core. And if they are which one should i pump water they. I’m pretty sure my heater core is clogged

1 - 9 of 9 Posts