Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I get what you're saying. I am not trusting it enough I'm sure. I did have an instance early on though that made me trust it less. Was doing 70 on the freeway, long sweeping turn, it entered the turn ok, but halfway through it quit, and nearly ran me in to a semi right next to me. I wasn't grasping the wheel much at all, wanting to see how it would do, and it just gave up. Scared me quite a bit.

The stop and go stuff is FANTASTIC in this van. I just drove through Atlanta on a road trip, and for 40 minutes I was in stop and go traffic, and never made an input to the gas, brake or wheel! Just rested my hand on the bottom and the van did the rest! It was remarkably relaxing in what could have been a stress inducing crawl.
I'm sure some more driving and tinkering with the system will pay off for ya. The most important things to remember with these features is that 1) they don't replace your need to pay attention as if you were driving without the systems and 2) that you find the most comfortable way to use them to augment your particular driving style. That #2 looks different for everyone based on individual preferences and comfort with the features.

I do however 100% agree with you both on the stop and go stuff. My biggest problem with highway driving is the stop and go with construction or accident traffic. I can do 90 on the interstate for hours on end with no fatigue but the stop and go stuff just straight up takes the wind out of my sails. This system makes it such a breeze and it really just feels like a break from the highway driving to rest up while the van does its thing, with me only occasionally having to press the cruise control "RES" button to resume driving if the traffic came to a complete stop. It really changed the driving dynamic of a road trip for me, in a very positive way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently drove from Lafayette, CO, USA to Burnaby, BC, Canada one way, approx 1430 miles. 2 adults, a toddler and a 90 lb dog. Van loaded from floor to roof behind the 2nd row and a lot of stuff in the front passenger seat as well. Never felt the van under powered. Got 30 mpg average.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently drove from Lafayette, CO, USA to Burnaby, BC, Canada one way, approx 1430 miles. 2 adults, a toddler and a 90 lb dog. Van loaded from floor to roof behind the 2nd row and a lot of stuff in the front passenger seat as well. Never felt the van under powered. Got 30 mpg average.
Hi Raghu,
Can you share your experience on how the cabin noise level is while driving on the highway? 60 to 70? 80 to 90 mph?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The max I went was 80 mph, just stuck to the speed limits. It can get a bit loud on rough surfaces, but not loud enough to bother me. I do plan on sound deadening the doors and the floor using dynamat/dynapad. I previously did it on our Tesla Model S and it made a big difference.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Raghu,
Can you share your experience on how the cabin noise level is while driving on the highway? 60 to 70? 80 to 90 mph?
We just did a 400mi road trip and we both commented how quiet the van is at 70mph compared to our previous 2011 Odyssey. The eCVT lets the engine run very quiet, road and wind noise were reasonable, and we both commented on how slow it felt like we were going even at 70.

The Lane Assist really is pretty bad on anything other than fairly straight freeways. Worst part is how it gives up with no real warning. I know I'm spoiled by Tesla here but the lane-follow there is very good and the car YELLS at you if it has to give up on the lane-follow for some reason. I just leave it off unless it is a straight, well marked freeway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just did a 400mi road trip and we both commented how quiet the van is at 70mph compared to our previous 2011 Odyssey. The eCVT lets the engine run very quiet, road and wind noise were reasonable, and we both commented on how slow it felt like we were going even at 70.

The Lane Assist really is pretty bad on anything other than fairly straight freeways. Worst part is how it gives up with no real warning. I know I'm spoiled by Tesla here but the lane-follow there is very good and the car YELLS at you if it has to give up on the lane-follow for some reason. I just leave it off unless it is a straight, well marked freeway.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Much appreciate!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts