Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Anyone else pass on all hybrid Sienna lineup?

5182 Views 76 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  Dimitrij
Not being produced with a conventionally powered (only) options removed the new Sienna from our list. Just wondering if anyone else did the same.

No sour grapes, Toyota can do whatever it wants. As can I.
  • Helpful
Reactions: 4
1 - 8 of 77 Posts
Once you go hybrid you'll understand why it is superior to conventional and you don't want to go back.

1. Getting 40 vs 20mpg.

2. All ice cars have that stupid start-stop "tech." This process is seamless in hybrids.

3. Hybrids are extremely reliable and easier to maintain. No drivebelts, transmission, etc.

4. Switches between idling and off to keep warm in winter. Useful for car camping and stuff.

5. No range anxiety compared to EVs. I get 500 miles of range.

I would say heavy duty towing is the only limitation but even Tundras are hybrids now.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
And diesel is like $6 per gallon....fuggetaboutit.
I had a Prius and after ten years the battery went (a bit early, from what I've read). I changed it myself, with an aftermarket from Nick Vergunst from newpriusbasatteries.com. $1600 in 2016, and changing it was not difficult. He gave excellent instructions and support. I don't know if he's developed one for the Sienna yet, but his engineering seemed to match or beat Toyota's. I would not worry about the battery issues.

We bought a 2012 Sienna a couple years ago that had been babied like no tomorrow. I will also wait for the hybrid Siennas, or, better, EV to get established, and look at 3-6 year old ones. To me, early adoption is only good in theory.
I don't think an EV minivan is a good idea if you take long road trips like I do. I've been to Florida a few times and already have 80,000 miles on mine. I can't imagine taking road trips with an EV.
Reactions: 1
Where is the savings?
1) 4/5k premium for hybrid from traditional van
2) battery deteriorating over time
3) battery cost after 7/10 years @5k
4) total cost at end will be 10k more vs savings of 12k
If your battery dies before 200000 miles something is wrong. Price of my Sienna was comparable to any brand new van with AWD. I used to pay $400-$500 per month for a vehicle that gets about 20mpg. I'm at 80,000 miles so I think I already saved about $6000 in gas since I've owned this thing.

Hybrids have been out for 20 years now and the batteries have proven to be reliable. I'm not sure why people still think that battery swaps are a big issue.
5 years ? Where is that data coming from ? I can't speak for newer Hybrids that use Lithium-Ion but the older Priuses mentioned in this article use Ni-MH like the Sienna.

For those like the OP not yet convinced - my advice is "dont buy into all this hype". With the chip shortage and everything - my dealer in Ohio says its at least 1 year on the waiting list. Leave the inventory for the rest of us who need it the most and dont need convincing.
Yea I'm at 140,000 miles on my original battery. Hybrids like the Ford Escape and Chevy Volt are better engineered than their regular cars. Chevy Volt has been known to last 200,000+ miles. I think it's mostly just people stuck in past who believe that you have to change the batteries every 5 years. Even if my battery dies I can probably replace it myself about $1000. I have spent that much before on regular maintenance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/volt/comments/tfgz1p
Reactions: 2
I understand there are shortages of batteries right now... but Toyota is missing out on making their vehicles a lot cheaper by putting in PHEV functionality, taking advantage of the federal subsidy. Especially vehicles such as the Sienna that already have HEV drivetrains.
Someone posted something about Toyota having the most debt out of all of the manufacturers. Car manufacturing is tough. They seem to go bankrupt all of the time. I assume Toyota just don't wanna take the risk if they don't have to. I don't see that many people driving around with plug in hybrids.
There is a lot of risk in adopting new technology in a new market. If they spend billions on new tooling, batteries, etc and nobody buys the product and then what?
It isn't new tech though. They use the drivetrain in the RAV4 Prime; and it's similar to the one in the Sienna already. They needn't even go to the 18 kWh of the RAV4P, they need only 7 kWh to be eligible for the Federal tax credit. One number I saw was that Prime battery adds 660 lb to the weight over the plain hybrid RAV4. So roughly 300 lb say for the 7 kWh; not bad as it'll make it the only PHEV AWD minivan, and eligible for major price breaks.

Caveat though, Toyota raised the price of the RAV4P more than the tax credit.
In any case, I think we have to wait for this war to end before normal market forces and marketing calculations can take hold again.
Well Even Elon Musk warned the other manufacturers. I hear Ford is having issues with the Lightning. The Pacifica Plug in Hybrid had issues too and I think Chrysler is actually the leader in plug-in minivans....Kinda ironic since Toyota started it all. Toyota seems to have issues sourcing batteries for some reason. Prob cause it doesn't meet their standards? Can't think of any other single 7+ passenger EV/PHEVs in the US. VW delayed their ID Buzz.

I have Canoo EV stocks and I'm close to losing all of my money cause they are close to bankruptcy. Lol. Seems like once you get pass a certain payload size EVs just get very hard to make.
1 - 8 of 77 Posts