Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by the 85 mph whining from the other thread, I was wondering if anyone took their Gen 3 to the drag strip? The internetz is saying [email protected] Curious if anyone has been able to duplicate that or not.The Sienna has more giddyup and go then a lot of other vehicles. I routinely let her rip through the gears on my commute, and am impressed by her performance. :geek:

My coworker has a WRX that she is always bragging about, so I need to knock her down a peg or two. I challenged her to a drag race, but she said she needs to "tune her car" first. The way I see it, it is LOSE/LOSE for her. If she beats me, no big deal, she beat a minivan. BUT if she loses, SHE LOST TO A MINIVAN! Seriously, if I beat her, I will collect my slip then drive directly home and SiennaShame her on the internet and in person every chance I get... 馃槀

Even if she bails on the idea, I still want to take the Sienna down the strip. I am hoping that a few tweaks will get me in the 14's. So, anyone ever do this? 馃憘

Registered
If you want to participate in nonsense like that and want your Sienna to last with the fewest possible problems, rent a front wheel drive Sienna which is going to be substantially faster than your AWD Sienna. What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

A WRX is far faster to 60 mph and in the quarter mile than a FWD Sienna - plenty of stats and road tests on the Internet show that. And a Sienna couldn't begin to keep up with a WRX on a winding road - totally noncompetitive.

Registered
Is this post a joke? Or did I just read a serious post about racing a Sienna against a WRX? Lol...

Registered
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If you want to beat her for sure just make it a drag race with 8 people in each vehicle.
LOL, that would be a sight seeing 8 people stuffed into a WRX... Once, I took my old tow vehicle, a Chevy Surburban out on the track (roadcourse) for giggles with a bunch of people in the back. It was a lot of fun, but i was worried about people puttng their helmets through one of the rear windows...

You can't go 92mph. Didn't you know that your Sienna will immediately explode and take out the entire county? :LOL:
sorry, I didn't know that. What if i skip over 92 and go right to 93mph, will that work? :ROFLMAO:

If you want to participate in nonsense like that...
WOW, you really are grumpy... And just so you know, I smoked a stretched tire millenial in his 1st gen miata on a back country road last week. kid couldn't drive his way out of a paper bag...

Is this post a joke? Or did I just read a serious post about racing a Sienna against a WRX? Lol...
Nope, not a joke. I don't need to post my resume, but suffice to say I have quite the motorsports pedigree. Co-worker thinks her slushbox WRX poo doesn't stink, but she was never at a drag strip ever. I am hoping at the very least to tree her, and at least beat her to the 1/8th mile... It WILL happen, just not sure when.

About 15 years ago, while at Englishtown dragstrip, I was having clutch issues with the old racecar. So, I loaded it up and called it a day. Local kid shot off his mouth that I was "scared" and packing up and leaving. I unhitched the tow vehicle, a 2006 Nissan Titan and went over to tech and had them put my number on it... I lined up against the kid in his supercharged CRX, tree'd him, and ALMOST beat him to the lights. Almost... I have to find that time slip, it is around here somewhere.... :unsure:

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I have found a variety of sources online for 3rd Gen Sienna 1/4 miles times ranging from 15.2 to 15.4 @ 92~94 mph.
Motortrend has the 2015 WRX CVT 1/4 mile listed as 14.5 @ 96.7 mph. That is close enough that if she leaves just a little late, I have a chance... :p

Registered
My neighbor has a highly modified SRT 392 and we have talked about how our daily drives would fare against it. We have contemplated taking all our vehicles to the local dragstrip and see how the do, just for fun. Might happen later this year and could be real fun day if other neighbors join the party. We have a variety of vehicles including a mix of German & Japanese cars and yes, we also have a WRX belonging to a young chap who recently started his first job.

Registered
If she's never raced or aggressively launched her car at all in her life. You'll take her. But if she's quite experienced, you'll see her tail lights from the get go. It's all in that launch.

Registered
LOL, that would be a sight seeing 8 people stuffed into a WRX...
Eight in a WRX is totally doable. I think we got something like 25 in a full size sedan in the 60's when the local drive-in theater ran a promotion during which there was a flat fee charge per vehicle regardless of the number of occupants.

WOW, you really are grumpy... And just so you know, I smoked a stretched tire millenial in his 1st gen miata on a back country road last week. kid couldn't drive his out of a paper bag...
I'm SOOOOOOO impressed that you could beat an inexperienced child in a clapped out old 4-banger Miata. You are my idol.

Co- worker thinks her poo doesn't stink, but she was never at a drag strip. I am hoping at the very least to tree her, and at least beat her to the 1/8th mile... It WILL happen, just not sure when.
And I will be SOOOOOO impressed by you whipping an inexperienced little girl. You are my idol!

Local kid shot off his mouth that I was "scared" and packing up and leaving. I unhitched the tow vehicle, a 2006 Nissan Titan and went over to tech and had them put my number on it... I lined up against the kid in his supercharged CRX, tree'd him, and ALMOST beat him to the lights.
And I'm again SOOOOOO impressed that you ALMOST beat still another "kid". You are my idol! Am I seeing a pattern here? Beating up on the young and inexperienced and bragging about it. Have you considered competing against experienced adults?

I happen to have some history with the CRX. My wife and I were in a Honda dealership showroom in the mid-80's for some reason - I might have been dropping her off to pick up her Accord after a service. The first fuel injected CRX Si were arriving in the U.S., were a hot commodity with long waiting lists and bringing premium prices. The dealership had only one CRX Si in stock, it was on the showroom floor, and the guy who was next in line on the wait list was there to pick it up.

As I was sitting in "his" CRX Si looking at its features (e.g. cool huge exterior power sliding sunroof), its purchaser was arguing with the dealership salesman and then stalked out of the showroom apparently without closing the deal. I'm not normally impulsive but I asked the salesman if he would sell the CRX Si to me at sticker price. The salesman said "No" and explained the waiting list and the premium over sticker they were charging. I asked to speak with his manager who didn't know me from Adam but recognized the corporation I was with as being a business partner of importance to the dealership. A couple of minutes later, the salesman and his manager came to me and told me that the car was mine on my terms. I couldn't drive two cars home so I picked up the CRX Si a day or two later.

I had planned to break in the CRX Si carefully by the book as I always do when I buy a vehicle but I made the mistake of letting my Porsche owning friend Jason drive it a few minutes after I picked it up. Jason flogged the CRX mercilessly redlining its engine in every gear while I sat horrified in the passenger seat. Maybe it was payback. I had just introduced Jason to a woman I worked with and had bet him $100 a few minutes after the introduction that he would marry her. I told Jason at their wedding reception that the $100 he owed me from losing the bet was part of their wedding gift - that and the flock of pink flamingos they found in the front yard of their new house when they got home from the reception. Unfortunately, the divorce was not that many years later.

I kept the CRX Si for five years using it mainly as my "ski car" in Winter when only my wife or one friend was accompanying me to the slopes. It was wonderfully fun to drive on snow covered/icy mountain roads and oddly had remarkably high ground clearance for such a tiny car. Other than for skiing, it wasn't a very practical car. Parking it in front of other cars in the garage didn't help - too much trouble to shuffle cars to get the CRX. My CRX Si has been gone for 29 years but I still have fond memories of it and its ski rack is still in storage. What a pack rat I am.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
If she's never raced or aggressively launched her car at all in her life. You'll take her. But if she's quite experienced, you'll see her tail lights from the get go. It's all in that launch.
she has a CVT WRX, which does not really launch. She talks a good game, thus my race offer.

"Place Your Bets"!!!!!

$20.00 internet dollars on the Vanborghini. :p
LOL @ Vanborghini!!! that is great, I gotta remember that one...

I'm SOOOOOOO impressed that you could beat an inexperienced child in a clapped out old 4-banger Miata. You are my idol.

And I will be SOOOOOO impressed by you whipping an inexperienced little girl. You are my idol!

And I'm again SOOOOOO impressed that you ALMOST beat still another "kid". You are my idol! Am I seeing a pattern here? Beating up on the young and inexperienced and bragging about it. Have you considered competing against experienced adults?
you read into posts way too much, then type way too much drivel. you should just go away. seriously, if you don't like my posts, DO NOT RESPOND... I was a big Honda CRX/Civic racer for over 20 years, yet your post was so long I just glossed over it. I backed off you in another post when you were rambling about taxes in mid america being as high as where I am in the NYC burbs. Bro, you don't have a clue, just put me on ignore and go away

Regardless here is my response: I am in my mid 40's, my co worker is almost 50... The WRX is her mid life crisis mobile. She knows I have a motorsports background, so of course I have a target on my back...

The Titan drag story? That "kid" was my sisters age, two years younger then me. I still refer to him as a kid, because to me, he is.

The millenial in the miata? Yep, he tailgated me then passed me while I was behind slower moving vehicles. Once the road opened up, I fired back, then blew past him. Dumb? Sure. But, the stretched tire hipster needed a beatdown...

Regardess, the Sienna will be going to the drag strip and I will post up when I do. This evening, I found a youtuber who is local to me that street races his Sienna... Lots of videos of him hitting the speed limiter in it too...

Registered
You don't really need to learn how to "launch" a small AWD car that is an automatic. When the light turns green, you put your foot to the floor and keep it there until the 1/4 mile mark.

I raced competitively for a few years in my Nissan and even the AT WRX from several years ago can get into the low 14s pretty easy. Most I ran against were manuals and were more around 13 with a few mods. It was bracket racing, but we still talked about times while waiting for runs.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
You don't really need to learn how to "launch" a small AWD car that is an automatic. When the light turns green, you put your foot to the floor and keep it there until the 1/4 mile mark.
The CVT WRX does have launch control, but it sounds like it is a PITA to use, especially in the drag race/christmas tree environment.

Looks like we have a tentative date of July 31st for this event to go down. My co-worker is aware of this thread (she whined when I said she was "almost 50"...) I fully expect her to make an account and post when she "beats" me down the strip... :ROFLMAO:

Registered
I鈥檝e been thinking about that video and wondering if you are putting yourself at risk with local law enforcement by posting it. Just thinking whether the site owners have a legal obligation to bring it to their attention since it was on a public road. I have no idea but it would worry me.

Registered
I鈥檝e been thinking about that video and wondering if you are putting yourself at risk with local law enforcement by posting it. Just thinking whether the site owners have a legal obligation to bring it to their attention since it was on a public road. I have no idea but it would worry me.
I do think they are taking it to a drag strip. Local drag strips here do it all the time.

Registered
The CVT WRX does have launch control, but it sounds like it is a PITA to use, especially in the drag race/christmas tree environment.

Looks like we have a tentative date of July 31st for this event to go down. My co-worker is aware of this thread (she whined when I said she was "almost 50"...) I fully expect her to make an account and post when she "beats" me down the strip... :ROFLMAO:
I can honestly say you stand a chance, and a rather large one at that depending on how well you know your van, mines at 150k all driven sporty lol.
The wrx has only gotten heavier and way way to many computers into the car to be worth much any more. The sienna is quite impressive for a van.
I do take mine to the drag strip. Expect to see 88-92 mph on stock Daily Driver type tires, im running Nokian WRG3's. Off the line if the WRX owner is asleep or does not launch there car in fear of the glass transsmission they will need to run you down, mind you she's auto vs stick so her missing a gear in very unlikely.

I've gotten an 02 WRX that had 155k on it, motor was pritty whooped - intake and exhaust mods
88 Mustang GT 5.0 auto trans, he had problems hooking up, was a full length back or better ... exhaust mod
Acura CL auto - stock
08 Silverado 1500 5.3L, Volint air intake and cat back exhaust beat him by a door, was a good race!
Toyota Corolla XRS - think he missed a gear, not quite sure, was stock from what I could tell.

Other races have been complete blow outs, or are not for a forum discussion.

I would go out and have fun with it, why not right? like you said, you lose ya lose oh well. She loses and all her friends be like, ya lost to a van.

Most people on the interstate hate getting passed by a van if ya ever noticed, almost more then by a U hual or Buddget truck.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts