Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw the hitch on Toyota's site, looks like an after thought and kinda ruins the rear end design they spent so much time on.

Im still on the fence about it

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
There have been a number of promo photos that show it - here is one.

2021 Sienna Limited promotional photo showing receiver hitch.jpg

I doubt that many people bought the factory hitch for gen 3 or will buy it for the gen 4 since the retail price is $840.

The gen 4 factory hitch looks like crap like the gen 3 factory hitch did. I consider myself lucky that my special order 2014 Sienna did not get the factory hitch I ordered installed due to a stop sale. I got a better aftermarket hitch and harness for less than 25% of the retail price of the factory installed hitch.

I assume that several companies will make aftermarket hitches for the gen 4 Sienna since they do for the gen 3 Sienna ... Draw-Tite, Curt, Tork Lift. And maybe there were be mostly hidden aftermarket hitches for the gen 4 Sienna like there are for the gen 3 Sienna. Aftermarket hitches might be available by summer.

Unless you need to tow immediately with a 2021 Sienna, I suggest you wait to see what become available in the aftermarket. If you have another vehicle that isn't set up for towing and an aftermarket tow hitch is available, you might be able to install a low cost hitch on that vehicle to get you by.

I've been installing receiver hitches on all our vehicles regardless of whether or not we them for towing. I even installed a receiver hitch on my wife's Prius which should be able to easily tow our 1,500 pound gross weight utility trailer. All we've used the Prius hitch for so far is to carry bikes on a hitch mount bike rack.

Another option to get you by until aftermarket hitches become available are rentals. I can rent pickup trucks and SUV's all set up for towing at a local Ford dealership for less than I can rent them at the major car rental companies. I rented a Ford F-150 pickup at the Ford dealership to tow a large boat.

It's disappointing that Toyota didn't design an integrated hitch for the gen 4 Sienna like they've always done for the Highlander but I'm not surprised.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There have been a number of promo photos that show it - here is one.

View attachment 47881

I doubt that many people bought the factory hitch for gen 3 or will buy it for the gen 4 since the retail price is $840.

The gen 4 factory hitch looks like crap like the gen 3 factory hitch did. I consider myself lucky that my special order 2014 Sienna did not get the factory hitch I ordered installed due to a stop sale. I got a better aftermarket hitch and harness for less than 25% of the retail price of the factory installed hitch.

I assume that several companies will make aftermarket hitches for the gen 4 Sienna since they do for the gen 3 Sienna ... Draw-Tite, Curt, Tork Lift. And maybe there were be mostly hidden aftermarket hitches for the gen 4 Sienna like there are for the gen 3 Sienna. Aftermarket hitches might be available by summer.

Unless you need to tow immediately with a 2021 Sienna, I suggest you wait to see what become available in the aftermarket. If you have another vehicle that isn't set up for towing and an aftermarket tow hitch is available, you might be able to install a low cost hitch on that vehicle to get you by.

I've been installing receiver hitches on all our vehicles regardless of whether or not we them for towing. I even installed a receiver hitch on my wife's Prius which should be able to easily tow our 1,500 pound gross weight utility trailer. All we've used the Prius hitch for so far is to carry bikes on a hitch mount bike rack.

Another option to get you by until aftermarket hitches become available are rentals. I can rent pickup trucks and SUV's all set up for towing at a local Ford dealership for less than I can rent them at the major car rental companies. I rented a Ford F-150 pickup at the Ford dealership to tow a large boat.

It's disappointing that Toyota didn't design an integrated hitch for the gen 4 Sienna like they've always done for the Highlander but I'm not surprised.
I have the factory hitch. Yup, it’s butt ugly. An afterthought that was mentioned earlier is the correct description.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've been back and forth with ordering a Sienna. My dealer confirmed that an oil cooler or any other add-on that comes with other vehicle's tow packages will not be included with the 2021 Sienna Tow Package. So basically you're paying $840 for just the hitch and wiring harness which seems a bit steep. Also, while the Factory Hitch will tow 3500 lb, I am pretty certain it will be a 1.25" like the last-gen. I'd rather have a 2" to have more options for bike racks, for example, I've never seen a platform bike rack in 1.25" only the hanging kind. I think just more availability of hitch mounted things with 2" hitches.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been back and forth with ordering a Sienna. My dealer confirmed that an oil cooler or any other add-on that comes with other vehicle's tow packages will not be included with the 2021 Sienna Tow Package. So basically you're paying $840 for just the hitch and wiring harness which seems a bit steep. Also, while the Factory Hitch will tow 3500 lb, I am pretty certain it will be a 1.25" like the last-gen. I'd rather have a 2" to have more options for bike racks, for example, I've never seen a platform bike rack in 1.25" only the hanging kind. I think just more availability of hitch mounted things with 2" hitches.
The official toyota website seems to indicate that all Sienna's come with the towing prep package:

·
Registered
20 Posts

Kuat platform bike racks are really nice and come in 1.25" and 2". same with 1up racks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Saw the hitch on Toyota's site, looks like an after thought and kinda ruins the rear end design they spent so much time on.

Im still on the fence about it
Did you find a hitch? We are ready to purchase one from our dealer...ready to hand over the check today and dealer just called to say there is no towing option at this time. Toyota hasn’t figured it out yet. We just need it for our 4 bike Kuat rack. Do I have to look for a different car simply because the Sienna has no way to carry a bike rack. Seriously? Would love to know if this is correct.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Did you find a hitch? We are ready to purchase one from our dealer...ready to hand over the check today and dealer just called to say there is no towing option at this time. Toyota hasn’t figured it out yet. We just need it for our 4 bike Kuat rack. Do I have to look for a different car simply because the Sienna has no way to carry a bike rack. Seriously? Would love to know if this is correct.

Etrailer has a Curt available.

2021 Toyota Sienna Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm waiting for these guys to come out with a hitch for the new Sienna:

What I like about it is that it can be completely hidden when not used. Also looks like very good quality.

Last time I checked, they offered a free hitch and installation for the first customer to bring in a vehicle that they don't currently have a hitch for. I would go, but they're in Sugar Hill, Georgia, so would be difficult for me to go. I'd encourage anyone who lives a little closer to go so they can start to offer these to customers around US and Canada.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Getting an expensive, ugly , toyota smaller hitch should not even be a consideration. Even if they offered it for free, I would say no

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm waiting for these guys to come out with a hitch for the new Sienna:

What I like about it is that it can be completely hidden when not used. Also looks like very good quality.

Last time I checked, they offered a free hitch and installation for the first customer to bring in a vehicle that they don't currently have a hitch for. I would go, but they're in Sugar Hill, Georgia, so would be difficult for me to go. I'd encourage anyone who lives a little closer to go so they can start to offer these to customers around US and Canada.
Looks like they don’t even a Toyota category on their website. This would be ideal though! If not I’ll have a shop fabricate one. Don’t plan on towing, just for bikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts