Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Avalon Limited Hybrid with Advanced Safety Package
88 Posts
I have the factory hitch. Yup, it’s butt ugly. An afterthought that was mentioned earlier is the correct description.
Does it disable the kick to open feature?

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Avalon Limited Hybrid with Advanced Safety Package
88 Posts
I have the factory hitch. Yup, it’s butt ugly. An afterthought that was mentioned earlier is the correct description.
Is it 2”? If not, and I’m with you on OEM, I’ll go aftermarket because 2” fits all my hitches

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's a pic of the Curt 2" Class III Tow Hitch installed. Very easy install...six bolts.

Here's the parts list for the Toyota tow hitch parts:
PK960-08B08 Toyota Tow Hitch (1.25")
PK960-08M10 Close-out Cover
PK960-08B03 Tow Hitch Converter
PK960-08B05 Towing Wire Harness

If you buy an after market hitch, then you only need the converter and wire harness. The converter ties into your brake light wiring and the wire harness gives you the 4-pin trailer connector. The converter installs on the two bolts inside the spare tire housing. Note: If you buy the Toyota Tow Hitch, the wire harness is included.

The Close-out Cover is the plastic cover under the vehicle (rear driver side) and the cover gets in the way when the hitch is installed. This replacement cover comes pre-cut to allow space for the hitch. But it is simple enough to cut the existing and save $50.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also, the rear kick sensor can still work with the hitch but it does not work consistently since the sensor thinks the stationary hitch is my foot. I prefer the hitch over the sensor so I turned off the sensor within the vehicle settings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's a pic of the Curt 2" Class III Tow Hitch installed. Very easy install...six bolts.

View attachment 49172

If you buy an after market hitch, then you only need the converter and wire harness. The converter ties into your brake light wiring and the wire harness gives you the 4-pin trailer connector. The converter installs on the two bolts inside the spare tire housing. Note: If you buy the Toyota Tow Hitch, the wire harness is included.

The Close-out Cover is the plastic cover under the vehicle (rear driver side) and the cover gets in the way when the hitch is installed. This replacement cover comes pre-cut to allow space for the hitch. But it is simple enough to cut the existing and save $50.
@kanin247 This is super helpful, thank you. I am going with the 2-inch Curt as well. I can't seem to find the close-out cover on the Toyota parts website. Any advice?

·
Registered
11 Posts
@kanin247 This is super helpful, thank you. I going with the 2-inch Curt as well. I can't seem to find the close-out cover on the Toyota parts website. Any advice?
Just Google Search "PK960-08M10" and it should show a couple of different Toyota Parts Dealers. Each dealer has a different discounted price so I just shopped around until I found a price I was happy with.

My local Toyota dealer does not discount their parts if I order directly through them and sells them at MSRP. So, I search other Toyota dealers and have them shipped to me.

I noticed that I could not find these parts by simply searching through the Toyota Parts website. I learned of the individual part numbers by inquiring with the various parts dealers and then Google Searched to find the best price. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just Google Search "PK960-08M10" and it should show a couple of different Toyota Parts Dealers. Each dealer has a different discounted price so I just shopped around until I found a price I was happy with.

My local Toyota dealer does not discount their parts if I order directly through them and sells them at MSRP. So, I search other Toyota dealers and have them shipped to me.

I noticed that I could not find these parts by simply searching through the Toyota Parts website. I learned of the individual part numbers by inquiring with the various parts dealers and then Google Searched to find the best price. Good luck!
That was obvious :). Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts

View attachment 49172

Nice Job. Can you tell me where the wiring connector is? I got the T-One harness and it just says to locate the plug in the rear cargo area. I hope to remove as little trim as possible...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice Job. Can you tell me where the wiring connector is? I got the T-One harness and it just says to locate the plug in the rear cargo area. I hope to remove as little trim as possible...
I have the spare tire so there was no trim removed at all. Once the tire cover and tire is removed, then you'll see the wire connectors to your left (tail-light side) and you simply connect the harness to the open connector. And remove the rubber gasket to route the cables underneath the vehicle. Unfortunately, not sure what the panel/trim looks like if you don't have the spare tire. But it should be in the same locations.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the spare tire so there was no trim removed at all. Once the tire cover and tire is removed, then you'll see the wire connectors to your left (tail-light side) and you simply connect the harness to the open connector. And remove the rubber gasket to route the cables underneath the vehicle. Unfortunately, not sure what the panel/trim looks like if you don't have the spare tire. But it should be in the same locations.
Thanks for the info - sounds like it is pretty much plug'n play and capable by a casual DIY'er. So your all in cost sounds like it is under $300 for the hitch and wiring harness?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info - sounds like it is pretty much plug'n play and capable by a casual DIY'er. So your all in cost sounds like it is under $300 for the hitch and wiring harness?
This is what I purchased from E Trailer and it plugs right in. I did cut the 4 trailers wires and splice them back ,in order to push them through the small rubber plug/drain ,it already has a slot in it. The connector is behind the spare tire under the tail lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts

View attachment 49172

Does that hitch scrape the ground often?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I'm a little confused with this. I have a '21 XLE and would like to install a tow hitch. My dealer recommended just going to uhaul, i do have one close by. Some confusion though is:

Are all of the siennas ready to tow? Is there an actual tow package I need? Will I be voiding any warranties by installing? And it sounds like the rear kick sensor will need to be disabled with a hitch installed? Sort of makes sense, although poorly designed.

thx

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
243 Posts
Hi, I'm a little confused with this. I have a '21 XLE and would like to install a tow hitch. My dealer recommended just going to uhaul, i do have one close by. Some confusion though is:

Are all of the siennas ready to tow? Is there an actual tow package I need? Will I be voiding any warranties by installing? And it sounds like the rear kick sensor will need to be disabled with a hitch installed? Sort of makes sense, although poorly designed.

thx
ALL 2021s come ready to tow. You just need a Hitch Receiver. UHAHUL is generally a good source for all hitch stuff (for novice people like me). It doesn't look like they have it for 2021 Sienna yet though. Personally, I just ordered a Hitch Receiver from carid.com for about $145. Folks here have encouraged me to try to install it myself which I wouldn't otherwise. Looks like all you have to do is cut a small plastic undercover on one side, and properly torque 6 bolts, with all other common sense precautions like jack stands, a helping hand and tire stops. If you need to wire it, just look up couple of posts above. I am getting hitch for bicycles so I am not going to have to work the wires anytime soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ALL 2021s come ready to tow. You just need a Hitch Receiver. UHAHUL is generally a good source for all hitch stuff (for novice people like me). It doesn't look like they have it for 2021 Sienna yet though. Personally, I just ordered a Hitch Receiver from carid.com for about $145. Folks here have encouraged me to try to install it myself which I wouldn't otherwise. Looks like all you have to do is cut a small plastic undercover on one side, and properly torque 6 bolts, with all other common sense precautions like jack stands, a helping hand and tire stops. If you need to wire it, just look up couple of posts above. I am getting hitch for bicycles so I am not going to have to work the wires anytime soon.
There is enough space for the install without lifting, a helping hand would be great but I just used my legs to level it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
243 Posts
There is enough space for the install without lifting, a helping hand would be great but I just used my legs to level it.

I suppose you slid on your back head first from the rear?

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is what I purchased from E Trailer and it plugs right in. I did cut the 4 trailers wires and splice them back ,in order to push them through the small rubber plug/drain ,it already has a slot in it. The connector is behind the spare tire under the tail lights.
Thanks for the good info dude, I just ordered the harness too.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts