Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
ALL 2021s come ready to tow. You just need a Hitch Receiver. UHAHUL is generally a good source for all hitch stuff (for novice people like me). It doesn't look like they have it for 2021 Sienna yet though. Personally, I just ordered a Hitch Receiver from carid.com for about $145. Folks here have encouraged me to try to install it myself which I wouldn't otherwise. Looks like all you have to do is cut a small plastic undercover on one side, and properly torque 6 bolts, with all other common sense precautions like jack stands, a helping hand and tire stops. If you need to wire it, just look up couple of posts above. I am getting hitch for bicycles so I am not going to have to work the wires anytime soon.
I'm wondering if Drawtite will release a model that is hidden behind the bumper like the one available for gen 3. Do you think there is still enough space behind the bumper on gen 4?

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
243 Posts
I'm wondering if Drawtite will release a model that is hidden behind the bumper like the one available for gen 3. Do you think there is still enough space behind the bumper on gen 4?
I haven't installed mine yet. Let's see what folks who have already have to say about it.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Avalon Limited Hybrid with Advanced Safety Package
88 Posts
Also, the rear kick sensor can still work with the hitch but it does not work consistently since the sensor thinks the stationary hitch is my foot. I prefer the hitch over the sensor so I turned off the sensor within the vehicle settings.
Is it possible to relocate the sensor to a more optimal location or angle?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am getting the Curt 2" hitch for my '21 AWD XLE. I do not feel comfortable wiring myself so am wondering if I can have the dealer do the wiring and not use the factory hitch? Or, if I purchased the wiring harness and other parts needed, could my local mechanic do it without voiding warranty? The salesman said these are new enough he would be concerned about Uhual guys or local mechanic not knowing what all is in there with the hybrid and AWD motors etc. We plan on towing a pop up camper so need it wired for a 7-prong plug.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's a pic of the Curt 2" Class III Tow Hitch installed. Very easy install...six bolts.

View attachment 49172

Here's the parts list for the Toyota tow hitch parts:
PK960-08B08 Toyota Tow Hitch (1.25")
PK960-08M10 Close-out Cover
PK960-08B03 Tow Hitch Converter
PK960-08B05 Towing Wire Harness

If you buy an after market hitch, then you only need the converter and wire harness. The converter ties into your brake light wiring and the wire harness gives you the 4-pin trailer connector. The converter installs on the two bolts inside the spare tire housing. Note: If you buy the Toyota Tow Hitch, the wire harness is included.

The Close-out Cover is the plastic cover under the vehicle (rear driver side) and the cover gets in the way when the hitch is installed. This replacement cover comes pre-cut to allow space for the hitch. But it is simple enough to cut the existing and save $50.
So you ordered the Toyota parts but with the Curt 2" hitch? Installed yourself or other installed once you ordered the parts? I definitely want the 2" hitch but debating whether to have dealer install the harness

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK I am now having second thoughts about the Toyota hitch. Main thinking:

1. I want to use a bike rack soon and frequently. Having a 2" receiver gives more options and reports indicate it's more stable/less swaying.
2. No immediate plans to tow a trailer - more of a dream sometime down the road (could be years or never). Seems easy enough to get the wiring harness installed if/when I ever want to do this.
3. Would like to be able to use the kick thing to open the tailgate (nice but not a big deal). If you go with Toyota, they apparently remove it and so you'll never be able to use it. This indicates that with an aftermarket hitch it might still work: https://www.etrailer.com/question-510537.html
I purchased the Limited version in February with the hitch and wiring included in the deal. It took about a month to get the hitch but was installed yesterday. They did a fantastic job.
They do not remove the hatch sensor, they disable it as u can also from the menu options on the steering wheel. The owners manual tells u how to disable/enable as well

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE AWD, Sunset Bronze Mica / Graphite Interior, purchased 3/28/21
18 Posts
Looks like they don’t even a Toyota category on their website. This would be ideal though! If not I’ll have a shop fabricate one. Don’t plan on towing, just for bikes.
Still going through the thread, but did you find a "stealth" option? I'm in the same boat, don't want the Toyota product "accessory rack" as I want a 2" receiver, but will mostly be using for bikes.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE AWD, Sunset Bronze Mica / Graphite Interior, purchased 3/28/21
18 Posts
Can someone help me out with the "close-out cover" part - what is it/what does it replace? (first timer here, just ordered the Curt 2" hitch and now looking to order the additional Toyota parts - wiring harness, converter, closeout cover).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
Just bought a 21 Sienna with the 1.25 hitch. Didn't realize it would be a 1.25 reciever... I found this adapter with great reviews but I've also read using adapters are not recommended as it severly limits capacity. Anyone have experience with this issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
Just bought a 21 Sienna with the 1.25 hitch. Didn't realize it would be a 1.25 reciever... I found this adapter with great reviews but I've also read using adapters are not recommended as it severly limits capacity. Anyone have experience with this issue?

View attachment 49509
I should add I plan to use the adapter for hauling 4 bikes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I should add I plan to use the adapter for hauling 4 bikes.
While waiting for others with more experience to chime in, I would say as long as you are within the weight limits of all components in the use, you should be fine. IIRC, the Hitch receiver has 350lbs limit (or is it a little more??). Looks like this is from Harbor Freight. It shows it has 350lbs capacity online. I would think you are good to go with this, especially if this is only for the bikes+carrier. (Btw, I literally just put together a hitch bike carrier minutes ago. Still waiting for my curt hitch though. )

·
Registered
11 Posts
So you ordered the Toyota parts but with the Curt 2" hitch? Installed yourself or other installed once you ordered the parts? I definitely want the 2" hitch but debating whether to have dealer install the harness
Yes, ordered Curt hitch and Toyota wiring harness and converter (expensive but didn't want to splice cables with the third party kit). Installed myself and is very simple if you have the spare tire. Just pull the tire and the wiring to connect to is right there and the plug to pull the cables underneath the vehicle. Then a couple of zip ties and you're done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can someone help me out with the "close-out cover" part - what is it/what does it replace? (first timer here, just ordered the Curt 2" hitch and now looking to order the additional Toyota parts - wiring harness, converter, closeout cover).
The close out cover is a plastic cover on the rear driver side. When the hitch is installed the corner of the cover is in the way. So you can either trim it to fit by cutting approximately 3"x7" rectangle (an earlier post by EricD showed some pics). Basically follow the lines of the cover. Or you can buy a replacement cover that is already cut.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, ordered Curt hitch and Toyota wiring harness and converter (expensive but didn't want to splice cables with the third party kit). Installed myself and is very simple if you have the spare tire. Just pull the tire and the wiring to connect to is right there and the plug to pull the cables underneath the vehicle. Then a couple of zip ties and you're done.
Thanks for posting and do you have a part number for the Toyota wiring harness --- my dealer can't seem to find it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
While waiting for others with more experience to chime in, I would say as long as you are within the weight limits of all components in the use, you should be fine. IIRC, the Hitch receiver has 350lbs limit (or is it a little more??). Looks like this is from Harbor Freight. It shows it has 350lbs capacity online. I would think you are good to go with this, especially if this is only for the bikes+carrier. (Btw, I literally just put together a hitch bike carrier minutes ago. Still waiting for my curt hitch though. )

I am not an expert, but I did research this as well. My understanding is an adapter will cut the tongue weight by half. So the 350 lbs will now be reduced to 175 lbs. I was looking at the Yakima exo system but it is designed for a 2 inch and the company stated no adapter because of the reduction in allowable weight.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am not an expert, but I did research this as well. My understanding is an adapter will cut the tongue weight by half. So the 350 lbs will now be reduced to 175 lbs. I was looking at the Yakima exo system but it is designed for a 2 inch and the company stated no adapter because of the reduction in allowable weight.
+1.

The extender likely moves the weight farther back increasing Lever (leverage) effect. I may not have been very clear but the cycles stand + 4 cycles can be reasonably estimated to come out significantly under 350LBs original limit. Average cycle can be about 30-35lbs each. For my reference, The stand I put together is 35lbs itself, and has 40lbs limit for each cycle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is what I purchased from E Trailer and it plugs right in. I did cut the 4 trailers wires and splice them back ,in order to push them through the small rubber plug/drain ,it already has a slot in it. The connector is behind the spare tire under the tail lights.
Is the 3dr component needed if one just wants 4-wire ?

41 - 60 of 66 Posts