Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Factory HID retrofit sucess- Part list and instruction

*****Final update So it appears that XLE+Premium pkg can have factory HID retrofitted.

Items needed are-
2x HID ballast gasket 9007523002 $2.93
1x Passenger side housing 8114508040 $335.13
1x Driver side housing 8118508040 $335.13

2x Ballast 8596708020 $149.61

2x Level motor female 3 pin connector 90980-11016 $14

1x Level switch 8415208010 $67
2x D4S bulbs $60 on ebay
6x 82998-12440- this is the pig tail wire that needs to be inserted to 90980-11016.

2x Toyota Ballast power wire (http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.0.0.AuOfVT&id=19557092755)- this you will have to source from China.

For XLE+Premium-
There is a black 5 pin connector right next to the sliding door switch by the instrument panel. We do have all 5 pins present. But still needs to be tapped.
Pin 1 is 12V
- needs to tab to a 12V source.
Pin 2 level switch signal (need to run all the way to the head light)

Pin 5 is ground- needs to be grounded.

Option 1 Pin 1 (12V) and Pin 5 Ground- You can tab this from the main junction connector in the footwell. Pin 2 must be run thru the firewall to each of the headlight.

Option 2- To be verified. I was reading the wiring diagram. It appears that the 3 wires Pin 1,2, and 5 are connected to the ECU in the engine room. So we may be able to just run wires within engine room. I am still trying to verify it works.

The new headlight housing has triangle three pin connector for the level motor. Make sure you read the housing with correct pin assignment.

Pin 1 ground
Pin 2 is 12V
Pin 3 is level signal.

You will need to insert three 82998-12440 to each
90980-11016. Make sure you clearly mark Pin 1, 2, and 3. The Pin 2 (12V) and Pin 1(ground) can be tabbed from the headlight connector that connects to the ballast. Pin 3 is the signal input which you need to connect to wire that you just ran all the way from the Level switch. Then you are done.

To remove the headlights.
1. Remove the front wheel fender. Its one screw and on tab. Remove and pull out.
2. Loosen the buttom engine cover from the bumper cover
3. On top of the grille, there is 5 clips, remove and pull the grill.
4. Loosen the bumper cover center tab.
5. Remove the bumper cover
6. On each side of bumper cover there is a bolt you have to remove.
7. Then remove the last two screws. And pull the headlight housing straight out.

Total time needed about 2 hours. Not too bad.
Pictures- IMG_2872.jpg IMG_2873.jpg IMG_0727.jpg IMG_0728.jpg

·
Registered
970 Posts
To be honest, I have a 2013 Limited with prem package. The power level control for the hid is not that useful, no where near compare to my Lexus RX400h's AFS so I wouldn't even waste time or money to do this, just slap on a HID kid and be done with it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The none HID headlamps creates too much glare. I got flashed too many times by other drivers.

So I am going to factory.

Here is what the parts are needed.

2 new head light housing
2 HID gasket
2 HID ballast
2 D4S bulbs
2 Level controller
2 Toyota level switch acutator female connector
1 level switch

For XLE+Premium-

There is a black 5 pin connector right next to the sliding door switch by the instrument panel. But we are missing pin 1, 2 and 5.

Pin 1 is 12V
Pin 2 level switch signal (need to run all the way to the head light)
Pin 5 is ground

The new headlight switch has triangle three pin connector for the level motor. If you the triangle connector as upside down triangle and clock wise, the first pin on top is grous. Pin 2 (12V), and pin 3 is level signal from the switch/

I am planning to tab the 12V and ground for the headlight motor from the wires for the main light.

I am just waiting for arrival of gasket. Hopefully I can get it installed by end of next week.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very interesting project...I am interested as well...do you have part numbers? Any idea on aprrox costs? I have a 2013 XLE (Canadian) but i think you might say it is the premium model because it has the parking sensors on the back bumper, as well as the Blind Spot Monitor and Rear Cross Traffic Alert as well as the reclinging bucket seats in the midship. Please advise. did you manage to obtain a wiring diagram? You can also sent me a message at [email protected]

Thanks

·
Banned
184 Posts
I say a regular HID kit would be fine, no need to go all OEM.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i am interested in this conversion too, i already got the headlights, ballasts and bulbs, but do not know how to hood up the leveling motor and the switch together just as OP.

someone please help us!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just send the wiring diagram to dentate.

I have everything coming this week.

I already have the driver housing, ballast, gaskets.

I am just waiting for VW plug and passenger housing.

I will do a detail write up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
913 Posts
To be honest, I have a 2013 Limited with prem package. The power level control for the hid is not that useful, no where near compare to my Lexus RX400h's AFS so I wouldn't even waste time or money to do this, just slap on a HID kid and be done with it.
Totally agree with mowmow. On top of the cost, time and labor even if the labor was free, I don't think it is worth doing all that mod. But it always boils down to what you really wanted done. If it makes krispycreme happy, go for it. BTW krispycreme, I still remember you from the old sienna forum.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is true that everyone has different preferences.
I am not satisfied with pnp hid kits anymore, even our sienna has a good halogen projector, been there and done that.
I want better light distribution, brightness is nothing without control! Sorta like power is nothing without control.......
This going be my third proper/OEM components equipped full HID retrofits. There is no looking back ever since I caught the HID retrofit bug...... and yes I am having alot of fun doing it, and it is tatally worth the time and effort people!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I want to hood up the leveling motor like the factory, so I can adjust beam level so I dont blind other driver when my van is heavy with people and cargo.
I already bought the oem hid sienna headlights, ballasts and light bulbs, just need to do exactly what OP is trying here, finishing the oem conversion.
I will share my retrofit with everyone here once I am done.
Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I am still waiting for my parts to arrive. For those who are interested.

Here are part lists (price are all from villagetoyota website)

2x HID ballast gasket 9007523002 $2.93
1x Passenger side housing 8114508040 $335.13
1x Driver side housing 8118508040 $335.13
2x Ballast 8596708020 $149.61
2x Level motor female 3 pin connector 90980-11016 $14
1x Level switch 8415208010 $67
2x D4S bulbs $60 on ebay

****More parts needed
6x 82998-12440- this is the pig tail wire that needs to be inserted to 90980-11016.

My recommendation is to buy the housing from ebay. I was able to find 2 mint housing with the level computer still intact. Each housing costs about $225 on ebay. So I saved a bundle by buying from ebay.

The ballast. I got from ebay at $138 each.

So far i have spend about $450 for the housing+leveling computer, $290 for 2 ballast, $13 on cable, $60 on 2x bulbs, $75 on switch and 2 gasket. So total cost for me was about $900. Not too bad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
thanks krispykreme for the detail info on parts needed.

when you mention leveling computer, do you mean the leveling motor?

I know people like to see pictures, so this is for those who might be interested in this conversion.
here is some pictures i took today: the headlight housing, ballast,leveling motor and true HID projector.
20140506_122721.jpg 20140506_122802.jpg 20140506_122827.jpg 20140506_122909.jpg 20140506_123035.jpg

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi GTU,

Yes. The leveling computer is the motor. But toyota calls it leveling computer.

But the p/n i gave is for the ballast.

Brain dead

·
Registered
24 Posts
krispykreme - can you check those part numbers again--the headlamp housing for the driver's and passenger seem to be the same part number.

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
why not just retrofit HID projectors? I bought the retro-quik kit from TRS. It uses the same projector that comes with the HID version sienna headlamps. Looks to be a cheaper option.

·
Registered
45 Posts
why not just retrofit HID projectors? I bought the retro-quik kit from TRS. It uses the same projector that comes with the HID version sienna headlamps. Looks to be a cheaper option.
hi,
I understand what you are saying, I have followed your retrofit, good job on that.
now, as to why, the main reason is the leveling motor enable me to adjust headlight level on the fly. what is the big deal on leveling adjustment? It allow me to aim my low beam for maximum distance without blinding on coming traffic, depending on my van's cargo load.
this is my third hid retrofit project(not pnp hid kit). I will not use the 4th gen tl or stock sienna hid projector, it is just too easy......

1 - 20 of 61 Posts