Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an '08 LE that has a 55w hid low beam conversion. Super bright, but a tad too much glare for incoming traffic. Has anyone tried LED bulbs in the stock housings? I'm looking at these:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/led-lighting/morimoto-xb-led-headlight-bulbs.html

Not sure if the rear of the bulb will cause clearance issues...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I completely agree with speedkar9. LED lights can't work in the reflectors designed for the halogens. They are bright, but instead of lighting the road, they put a lot of light in the eyes of the incoming drivers. Very unsafe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put in Philips 9012 HIR2 bulbs into my 2006 LE Sienna several years ago. While you do have to modify the base slightly the upgrade in brightness and distance are well worth the time. Oncoming traffic is not affected if you have the lights aimed properly. Great upgrade for not much money!

On my 2011 LE I put it H9 65 watt bulbs in place of the stock H11 low beam bulbs. Also have to do a minor adjustment to the base but you get a huge improvement in brightness without affecting oncomming traffic. These bulb exchanges are by far, the simplest and cost effective lighting upgrades you can do to your Halogen headlamps without causing dangerous glare for other drivers in our vans.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is anyone experiencing radio staitic or interference with these LED bulbs?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Doesn't happen too often, and I haven't heard this in the Sienna Forums. However, from my experience elsewhere, I have heard a very very few minority (read one or two) complaining about static. The problem could be from the bulb's bad circuitry (could happen from some cheap construction). Replace your LED bulbs. Try to remove one by one to narrow down the problem bulb.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'll give you an idea that after a person tries all brands of bulbs etc,and spend oodles of money to get better lighting.Give up on LEDS' they do not work in oem housings(glare issues) and pissed drivers! Go to a site called candlepower.com.I bought from them the HIR bulbs for the van and all I can say is WOW! We drive a lot at night(winterhours),long distances and I wanted better lights,give them a go you will never go back to halogens again!But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'll give you an idea that after a person tries all brands of bulbs etc,and spend oodles of money to get better lighting.Give up on LEDS' they do not work in oem housings(glare issues) and pissed drivers! Go to a site called candlepower.com.I bought from them the HIR bulbs for the van and all I can say is WOW! We drive a lot at night(winterhours),long distances and I wanted better lights,give them a go you will never go back to halogens again!But that's just my opinion.
Sounds awesome. Got some pics how the light looks facing the wall?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry no pics., but I can attest to on a moonless night driving on high beam we can usually count about 7 hydro poles down the highway! No that's lighting up the road..

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,509 Posts
I recently converted the low beam on my 06LE that came with 9006 to 9012. Here is the mod that is required.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
I completely agree with speedkar9. LED lights can't work in the reflectors designed for the halogens. They are bright, but instead of lighting the road, they put a lot of light in the eyes of the incoming drivers. Very unsafe.
I dont think most care about that, some even drive with thier high beems on.
I see this everyday on the drive to work. A person almost needs sunglasses to drive at night.
And alot of these are stone stock cars, the led's for trim lights add to it.
I sure hope this does not get worse, the automakers need to aim the light better and get rid of all of these
led light strips that do no nothing but distress oncoming traffic.
The king of the hill offensively speaking are the super duty ford trucks, it is like this wall of light coming at you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I did change the low bean bulbs in my 06 to LED bulbs a few months back. They have been working great so far. I changed the low beam bulbs to HID years back, they had been working fine before I switched to LED bulbs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts