Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I got it to 115 but then backed off. It was still going strong so I doubt 120 is max unless it's governed to 120.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Something fishy with that top speed video...He's in the right lane and towards the end is being passed by a sedan.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Something fishy with that top speed video...He's in the right lane and towards the end is being passed by a sedan.
Based on road markings and the speed with which they passed the vehicle on the far right, it does look to be accurate. I've gone 110+ and been passed too, could just be the Cadillac going 125.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It sure would be more believable if it showed a bit of the road as well as the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Whatever it is, it aint 160mph. Which makes the speedo un-accurate.
Literally every car has a speedo that runs significantly higher as a max number than the actual top speed of the vehicle. This is not unique to the Sienna or to Toyota; all automakers do this. My guess is it's done for aesthetics and/or symmetry in the gauge cluster, plus giving the subtle impression that the car goes fast and has a strong engine (marketing strategy).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Literally every car has a speedo that runs significantly higher as a max number than the actual top speed of the vehicle. This is not unique to the Sienna or to Toyota; all automakers do this. My guess is it's done for aesthetics and/or symmetry in the gauge cluster, plus giving the subtle impression that the car goes fast and has a strong engine (marketing strategy).
Not only that but a gauge that doesn't reach beyond what the highest likely reading is would be a terrible UI in that it would constantly cause the user to wonder if the reading was accurate or if the gauge just maxed out. My grill has a termperature sensor on it that goes well beyond the hottest I've ever gotten the grill. If the grill's maximum likely temperature is 600 and the gauge stopped at 600 I'd be wondering whether it was actually 600 or if it was 650. Having the gauge show 800 means I don't have that question. It's just good design which is why as you point out every car has it.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
260 Posts
My very first car must have been an exception. It was a 1989 Pontiac Lemans I got in 1999. IIRC, its speedo went up to a 100. My very first ticket ever that I got on it was for 110MPH just north of Wichita. Sometimes, the needle would get stuck at 100, and I had to tap it to get it loose and come back down.

(Yes, I was once young.. and haven't stopped doing stupid things though :oops::oops:o_Oo_O;))

·
Registered
161 Posts
My very first car must have been an exception. It was a 1989 Pontiac Lemans I got in 1999. IIRC, its speedo went up to a 100. My very first ticket ever that I got on it was for 110MPH just north of Wichita. Sometimes, the needle would get stuck at 100, and I had to tap it to get it loose and come back down.

(Yes, I was once young.. and haven't stopped doing stupid things though :oops::oops:o_Oo_O;))
Yes in fact older cars didn't do this. That was a time before the fascination with top speed and horsepower. Early 90s is when that flourished. Even my very first Corolla read only 110 on the speedo, and that was probably as fast as it could do after several miles of trying lol

·
Registered
151 Posts

During the Carter administration, there was a law (signed into law in 1979) in place that every car sold in the US had a top speed on the speedo of 85, and that 55 had to clearly highlighted. When the interstate system had a national speed limit of 55. The law had nothing to do with the actual top speed of the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
183 Posts
Thread has been cleaned up, closed and a 90 day temp ban was issued.

Reactions: Jim19939
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.