Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna LE
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having my 2010 Wrecked I've been looking at older 3rd gens around the 2011 - 13 years.

I've mainly seen early 3rd gens with 170k miles in my area for $10k, and a lot of them seem to be maintained at the dealer and have service history but not sure if the price is worth it.

Has anyone purchased a 3rd gen with high mileage? I'm personally not going to buy a AWD again after dealing with transfer case leaks in my 2010 Sienna, I'm still waiting on the offer from my insurance company and will most likely put that down as a down payment.

·
Registered
552 Posts
One thing to check is to see if the transmission fluid has been maintained. These were marketed with “Lifetime Fluid” but I don’t trust any fluids to be lifetime. On my 3 Siennas, I do a drain and fill of the transmission fluid every 10K miles starting at 50k miles and even my 2011 still shifts as smooth as butter. The other thing to look for in the early years is the rubber engine oil cooler hose. Make sure you change it to the steel hose if it has not been changed to avoid the hose break and draining your engine of oil.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If the vans are maintained by the dealer, the engine and transmission are likely fine. I would be more concerned about the wear on the interior. U have 125k on my 2013 XLE. Engine and transmission are great; the interior has some wear and could use a thorough cleaning.

Best thing you can do is test drive them. If you like it, offer $9000.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just because it was maintained by the dealer, doesn't mean the transmission fluid has ever been changed. Toyota doesn't even specify an ATF change interval under normal driving conditions.

Reactions: 97trophy

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is your budget $10k ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Recently traded in a '12 Limited AWD that was purchased new. Over the 9 years/151K miles, these were the issues:
  • Driver-side front CV axle/shaft replaced under warranty. The clunking noise that predicated replacement was back at around 100K
  • Both rear wheel bearings replaced at 80K miles and would have needed replacement again.
  • Rear differential coupler started whining at 135K; replaced at 148K.
  • Heater core leak started developing at 148K.
  • Trans started showed early sign of slipping in 2nd gear at 150K.

I'd say it had been a very reliable vehicle over the time we owned it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Totally worth it, as long as the essential fluid changes have been done at manufacturer recommended intervals.Tranny fluid flush is the grey area where Toyota advertises lifetime fluid but in actuality it does need to be flushed out, the frequency of changing it depending on how the vehicle was used (towing etc).

If you don't have access to the maintenance history or their are obvious issues in your test drive or otherwise (slipping tranny, Check engine lights etc) then give it a pass otherwise do your due diligence in evaluating the records and validate that it is not missing any significant maintenance milestones (Spark plugs, sensor replacements, fluid flushes etc). If it requires replacement of components due to wear-n-tear (Shocks, struts,control arms, CV joints etc) then factor that replacement cost in your offer price and negotiate from there.

Good Luck

·
Registered
39 Posts
FWIW, a couple of years ago my business partner picked up a used 2014 XLE (FWD) with 160K miles from a Toyota dealer for $9500. Original owner bought from that dealer and had all scheduled maintenance performed by the dealer (they showed him the records.) Spark plugs and serpentine belt were changed at 95K, all fluids changed, etc. Van now was 220K, and he has not had a single issue. Aside from wear and tear items, these vans are near-bulletproof if properly maintained.

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Sienna XLE FWD
3 Posts
After having my 2010 Wrecked I've been looking at older 3rd gens around the 2011 - 13 years.

I've mainly seen early 3rd gens with 170k miles in my area for $10k, and a lot of them seem to be maintained at the dealer and have service history but not sure if the price is worth it.

Has anyone purchased a 3rd gen with high mileage? I'm personally not going to buy a AWD again after dealing with transfer case leaks in my 2010 Sienna, I'm still waiting on the offer from my insurance company and will most likely put that down as a down payment.
I have a 2011 XLE FWD that I bought new with 141K miles on it now and haven’t had any issues, so although I haven’t purchased a used one I’d vouch for one that has had regular routine maintenance the whole time. Terrific vehicle!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bought a 2011 XLE-AWD in May 2018 w/ 72k miles. Pretty clean, no dings. Did trans. fluid replacement, trans. filter, rear differential oil, engine oil and filter, cabin air filter, & air filter. No problems in 24,000 miles. Replaced one of the oxygen sensors when it threw a code. Just put five Continental Cross Contact tires 235/60R18 103H on it, replacing the Bridgestone run-flats. Found a matching wheel for the full size spare.
Maintenance is the key to longevity....

RV

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2011 AWD Limited with over 200K on it and I just took it across the US from AZ to Ohio and back this summer and I commute from AZ to NM monthly for work....NO problems for me...I bought it brand now at the end of the year in 2011 and I am faithful for all the maintenance and up keep. I have all my services done at a dealer so I have a record...I have no plans on selling or trading it in....I LOVE my van....

·
Registered
150 Posts
i paid $18k earlier this year for my 2018 LE FWD and it had 96k on it. It was super clean, and was a highway car going back and forth 95 from Philly to NYC. Hoping to put another 100k on it (103k currently).

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
487 Posts
i paid $18k earlier this year for my 2018 LE FWD and it had 96k on it. It was super clean, and was a highway car going back and forth 95 from Philly to NYC. Hoping to put another 100k on it (103k currently).
When I was looking, back in February (2021), I found a couple of 2018 vans near me. Both were XLE AWD. I really liked the looks of a dark blue one with the tan interior, it had 103k miles on it, priced right at $20k. Another one was the same gray that I was trading in, but only had 29k miles, priced about $29k. Since my '05 LE AWD had over 275k miles with very few problems, and I have had four other Toyotas go over 300k miles, I was not afraid of the blue one with 103k, but my wife talked me into the gray one with fewer miles. Other than needing to replace the original run-flat tires and brakes, there have been NO problems.

Bottom line: Get the fewest miles you can afford, but don't be afraid of high miles.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Can't say but I bought one this year, 2011 XLE for $17500, with 58k. I did a lot of things to it already as I plan to keep it for a long time. 🤣💣

But I don't see any of these vans in the side if the road so it must mean something! And every corner I drive to I see like 2-3 Sienna's. Crazy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts