Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Sienna that I bought used from a dealership a few years back. It has an aftermarket Pioneer AV Receiver which seems to be pretty decent quality. However, the audio has been a constant problem for all these years and I am really tired of it. About 50-75% of the time, I get no sound at all from any speakers. Sometimes I do get the sound but the slightest bump on the road turns off the sound (the receiver shows that it is still playing the music). The strange thing is that pressing various other buttons in the vehicle brings the sound back. For e.g., pressing the door lock button (even when the doors are already locked). Other times the sound just won't come on but when I finally stop my car and change the gear shift to Parking position, the sound will come back on. Sometimes just banging on the dash above the receiver or around the receiver will bring the sound back on. However, none of these methods stick because the next slightest bump (or sometimes even without hitting any bump on the road), the sound just goes away.
I have taken the vehicle to the dealership where they charged me over $100 to 'check it out' and said they found nothing wrong. The only advice they had was to replace the receiver with a genuine Toyota receiver (which cost several grand!). I also took the vehicle to Car Toys where they said replacing the receiver likely won't help and they didn't have any other ideas.
Has anybody run into this type of issue? The fact that sound comes from the speakers at all makes me think it is not a speaker or wiring issue. Any other ideas or tips on how to proceed? I would really appreciate it, thanks!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I had a similar issue in an '86 Toyota Celica that I drove. I replaced the factory radio with an aftermarket one. Well, apparently, the wire-harness adapter to go from the back of the radio to the factory wiring had the slightest assembly defect. One of the female side of one of the pins wasn't fully seated into the wire block. When I would hit a bump, it would disconnect that pin just slightly. Sometimes, I would hit the top of the dash and it would work. Other times, I would hit another bump. Occasionally, I would have to stop, blindly reach up behind the dash from the passenger footwell and poke at stuff under there. Eventually, I fixed it, but that car was a pain because you had to entirely remove 3/4ths of the dash to get at the radio.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think BillG nailed it. What model is your Sienna? If it has JBL sound then it has an amp turn-on device that tells the aftermarket radio to turn the factory amp on. If not, it hopefully just has a wiring harness adapter and not wiring cuts and splices. Since the radio remains on with no sound, my guess is that it's got an amp turn-on device that's flaking out or has a bad connection. The radio is extremely easy to pull out. Take a look at this video. This van doesn't have JBL sound but removing the radio remains the same process:

EDIT: I just noticed that your van is a 2011. Try posting your question in the Gen3 repair forum.

·
Super Moderator
235 Posts
Will move this to Gen3, thanks roader

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think BillG nailed it. What model is your Sienna? If it has JBL sound then it has an amp turn-on device that tells the aftermarket radio to turn the factory amp on. If not, it hopefully just has a wiring harness adapter and not wiring cuts and splices. Since the radio remains on with no sound, my guess is that it's got an amp turn-on device that's flaking out or has a bad connection. The radio is extremely easy to pull out. Take a look at this video. This van doesn't have JBL sound but removing the radio remains the same process:

EDIT: I just noticed that your van is a 2011. Try posting your question in the Gen3 repair forum.

Thank you for the quick replies! Yes, this seems likely since the dealership pulled out the radio to check for issues and put it back. After that, it worked fine for a few days and I thought they had somehow fixed it but then it went back to being flaky again. I can pull out the radio, seems easy enough, thanks! What should I look for? Should I try replacing the wiring harness and if that doesn't fix it then replacing the amp turn-on device (yes it is JBL sound)? Should I be looking for a Pioneer <--> JBL amp turn-on device?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a similar issue in an '86 Toyota Celica that I drove. I replaced the factory radio with an aftermarket one. Well, apparently, the wire-harness adapter to go from the back of the radio to the factory wiring had the slightest assembly defect. One of the female side of one of the pins wasn't fully seated into the wire block. When I would hit a bump, it would disconnect that pin just slightly. Sometimes, I would hit the top of the dash and it would work. Other times, I would hit another bump. Occasionally, I would have to stop, blindly reach up behind the dash from the passenger footwell and poke at stuff under there. Eventually, I fixed it, but that car was a pain because you had to entirely remove 3/4ths of the dash to get at the radio.
Thank you for the quick reply! How did you fix it? Was it by replacing the wire harness adapter?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply! How did you fix it? Was it by replacing the wire harness adapter?
I had to remove the 3/4ths of the dash, remove the radio, remove the wire harness adaptor, push the female pin back into the harness and drip the smallest drop of superglue into that part of the block to secure it without coating the pin. I think, if I recall correctly, to make absolute sure it was connected, I pushed from the back side with a tiny screwdriver on all the female pins with it on the bench to make sure all the pins were fully seated, at least on the radio side.

·
Registered
214 Posts
To help with your research, take a look at Crutchfield.com. You may not be able to find your exact unit but they show all the equipment you need to retain the original function of your radio. Plus they sell the harness with instructions.

I would start with changing the harness knowing if that doesn't work, you'll likely need to change the receiver.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sounds like a loose connector or a short somewhere. Any aftermarket car audio shop should be able to diagnose and fix it.

If you want to go the DIY route, pull out the Headunit slowly and before you do anything, take pics of all connectors. Then unplug each, one at a time and eyeball each to confirm nothing is loose or sticking out where it shouldn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had to remove the 3/4ths of the dash, remove the radio, remove the wire harness adaptor, push the female pin back into the harness and drip the smallest drop of superglue into that part of the block to secure it without coating the pin. I think, if I recall correctly, to make absolute sure it was connected, I pushed from the back side with a tiny screwdriver on all the female pins with it on the bench to make sure all the pins were fully seated, at least on the radio side.
Thank you! I'll try this approach and see if it works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts