Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day our radio started giving us problems. All the audio sounds like a skipping or fastforwarding CD. Fast intermittent skipping. Happens in every function; radio, cd, auxiliary cable. You can hear the music playing and the change of stations, but the sound never improves. Navigation map and all other screens and settings work fine.
We have had trouble with the battery lately and corrosion and had to jump start the car several times. I tried disconnecting the battery again to restart the system, but didn't help.
Searched here and elsewhere on the internet and can't even find someone else who has experienced something similar.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

· Registered
6 Posts
Yes, here is what you do. Take the cover off the DVD/RES and simply unplug the DVD player unit/screen. When the RES is malfunctioning it causes this problem with the head unit sound. That fixes it. Of course, you no longer have RES, but you didn't have it anyway with this issue. A new DVD player is probably what is needed to get the entire thing working. For now, I'm just going without RES. Let me know if this works for you too.

· Registered
1 Posts
Thank you - this probably saved me many, many, HOURS of troubleshooting. Just pull the fascia off REAR DVD and unplug the system connector cable. I have 2008 Toyota Sienna with the JBL sound system addon and DVD. BTW - the first sign of the problem for my vehicle was that the DVD stopped working in the back. Months later the sound on the main audio started up with the jitter/CD like skipping sound on all media sources. Thanks to this post, problem solved (other than having to fix/replace the DVD unit in the back)!

· Registered
3 Posts
Yes, here is what you do. Take the cover off the DVD/RES and simply unplug the DVD player unit/screen. When the RES is malfunctioning it causes this problem with the head unit sound. That fixes it. Of course, you no longer have RES, but you didn't have it anyway with this issue. A new DVD player is probably what is needed to get the entire thing working. For now, I'm just going without RES. Let me know if this works for you too.
Thank you. I just experienced the same problem and your suggestion solved it. No more DVD player but at least the radio is working again.

· Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, I got the same problem, first remove the RES by pull down all the corner of the rear unit, it should come down easily. Then unplug the connector. Your sound system should work right away.
Now I need to find out what wrong with my the rear unit. Good luck

· Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for this super helpful post. Very much appreciated. Disconnecting the RES solved the intermittent sound issue for my 2009 Sienna as well. We don't use the DVD system anymore, but I'd sure like to know what went wrong with the board circuitry of the RES.

· Registered
2 Posts
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun

2008 Toyota Sienna with JBL sound system. The radio head has "Toyota P1820" on the front. All audio was cutting in and out in a consistent rhythm. I found this topic in looking for a solution and saw the mention of the rear entertainment system causing the problem. I disconnected the cable from the RES (dvd) and turned on vehicle and audio was now working correctly. Turned vehicle off again and decided to reattach the RES cable to see if it would cause the problem again. The radio worked fine as well as the DVD/DVD audio. I dont know if it will work for everyone but worth a shot as it seemed to reset things.

· Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 44401

2008 Toyota Sienna with JBL sound system. The radio head has "Toyota P1820" on the front. All audio was cutting in and out in a consistent rhythm. I found this topic in looking for a solution and saw the mention of the rear entertainment system causing the problem. I disconnected the cable from the RES (dvd) and turned on vehicle and audio was now working correctly. Turned vehicle off again and decided to reattach the RES cable to see if it would cause the problem again. The radio worked fine as well as the DVD/DVD audio. I dont know if it will work for everyone but worth a shot as it seemed to reset things.

· Registered
2 Posts
The other day our radio started giving us problems. All the audio sounds like a skipping or fastforwarding CD. Fast intermittent skipping. Happens in every function; radio, cd, auxiliary cable. You can hear the music playing and the change of stations, but the sound never improves. Navigation map and all other screens and settings work fine.
We have had trouble with the battery lately and corrosion and had to jump start the car several times. I tried disconnecting the battery again to restart the system, but didn't help.
Searched here and elsewhere on the internet and can't even find someone else who has experienced something similar.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
I have this exact same problem!

· Registered
1 Posts
Can confirm that unplugging the DVD module will allow the audio to return to normal. We had the audio "stuttering" almost every half second with all modes and it just started a few days ago. Seems like the DVD module has some internal short. I guess some electronics don't age well. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. The information saved a lot of trouble shooting time.

· Registered
2 Posts

1 - 20 of 29 Posts