Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

We just bought a '15 Sienna XLE over the weekend and was impressed with everything except the audio quality. Our van does not have the JBL system in it, but did come with the Nav option in the head unit.

I'm wanting to upgrade the speakers, but have never dabbled with car audio equipment. I'm confident in my ability to do the job with some kind of guidance. I'm an aircraft tech for a living and have renovated my house by myself. I consider myself handy, but am clueless about the basics of car audio.

Could someone take the time to walk me through where I should start? Is it as easy as ordering some speakers and plugging them in or do I need to worry about the power from the head unit being under rated? Please someone explain this to me like I'm in Kindergarten. Give me a good place to start.

If you've done this to your van, could you provide me with any specifics? Pictures would be immensely appreciated too!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
A few threads about speaker upgrade.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few threads about speaker upgrade.

Thank you! I'll definitely check these links out over the next week. Any follow up questions, I'll continue to post to this thread.

·
Registered
2016 Sienna LE FWD 8-passenger, 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan ES FWD, 2000 Toyota Camry XLE V6
4 Posts
I read through these threads before buying my 2016 LE. I knew I wanted an 8-passenger and therefore a Limited was out of the question, despite it having the JBL. My searches were mostly between the XLE and SE Premium, but I found an LE which was so low mileage, incredibly clean, and well-priced I had to buy it. But I was ready, with any of these trims, for a lackluster audio experience. Coming from my wife's 2015 Elantra SE with its usually underwhelming midlevel audio system (in quality, not features), I was ready for muddyness and blah.

Not so.

I am [almost literally] blown away by my 2016 LE 8-passenger FWD's audio system. It's no Mark Levinson system, no Nakamichi, no Sony or Revel or B&O like a modern Ford truck, but it punches far above its weight both in terms of loudness, clarity, bass, and midlevel response. Is it perfect? No, but it's much, much better than I expected. I have a friend who has a 2019 Tundra Limited and he hates his audio system. I sat in it and tried it out and it was truly as awful as he said. Terrible, muddy, too quiet, not enough anything. Pathetic for a full-size luxury truck. Honestly, it's so bad, it almost sounds like it's broken. He sat in my bland Sienna with its cloth seats, no navigation, and manual liftgate and was stunned at how much better mine is.

So I have no idea what you are complaining about unless you are a real audiophile or something is wrong with your system.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I can tell you that the audio quality on '15 and higher HU are better than the 2011-2014 HU in the same trim model. Had the XLE '13 and it did not sound as good as the '15 HU.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I put the Subaru Kicker upgrade tweeters in my 2013 Sienna and it was a 5-minute plug and play installation which transformed the sound. The highs are now clear and magnificent.
The screw holes line up, the connector plugs in perfectly. You can pop off the grills in a few seconds.
Toyota owns part of Subaru and they share many features such as speaker connectors! It has been discussed a lot on the Tacoma forum How to - Subaru/Toyota(3rd Gen) Tweeter Upgrade (Holy S***)

This the part number and they are under $100 on eBay or Amazon
Genuine OEM Subaru Tweeter Upgrade Kit by KICKER H631SFJ101

1 - 6 of 6 Posts