Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Extra parts=extra $'s and extra maintenance...if you want to keep more parts up to date and working, go for it..."most" AWD are greatly underused, but maybe you need more than FWD can offer...those mentioning "snowtires" certainly have the knowledge that comes with..experience...
ps: AWD=RUN FLAT TIRES...r u ready for them?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you, guys, for all the replies.

I do not need AWD, as I live in Hurricane Alley, Fort Lauderdale, FL. We have no slip & slid issues here and I’ve never found myself in the sand.

My initial inquiry was about LONGEVITY I think I got my answer. AWD does present more opportunities for something to go south. The couple AWD Limited vans that I’m considering are located very close to me. I will probably pass on them and keep looking for a FWD Limited model with low miles.

Again, thanks to all for your input. You’s guys rock!
The dealer by me still has one 2019 left and it’s AWD...I think they don’t sell well in Atlanta because we don’t need it, much like south Florida. I saw the sticker saying it averaged 20 mpg vs 22 mpg on the FWD...so that was a no go for me. Though the price was pretty good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Let me know when you boys are finished with your pissing contest.

In the meantime, I like AWD because I live in and drive in an area where I might see snow ten months out of twelve but I don't run my snow tires for ten months of the year. If I lived in a place and my driving habits were such that I'd only expect to see snow from Thanksgiving to Easter then, yes, a FWD with snow tires is probably fine. But it is some comfort to know that if it starts to snow when I'm driving over the local pass in September or June, that I'm running decent all season tires and AWD during those months.

Also, with AWD I think it's reasonable to drive 12 months of year on good all all season tires, like Nokia WG G4 or Micheline LTX MS, and not have to bother with snow tires in the winter...at least that's been my experience.

That all being said, I've tried all combinations of the above and Sienna AWD with snow tires is really quite something in the winter!
I considered AWD when I got my new van recently. Went with the FWD version instead. I do not like not having a spare tire and not able to install a tow hitch. Nor, do I like run flat tires. Been there done that junk.
But, like it is said....if it fits your needs.... you many not have a choice....unless you want a 4wd vehicle or pickup.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I do not like not having a spare tire and not able to install a tow hitch.
Pardon my gen3 ignorance, but what is the problem mounting a tow hitch on an AWD Sienna? It looks like they are readily available from multiple manufacturers.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Pardon my gen3 ignorance, but what is the problem mounting a tow hitch on an AWD Sienna? It looks like they are readily available from multiple manufacturers.
rtg might have been referring to the unavailability of the tow prep package on the AWD versions of the 2015 through 2017 Sienna XLE and Limited. A tow hitch can be installed on these Sienna versions but they are not rated for towing.

The 2018 Sienna sales brochure shows the tow prep package as being standard on all 2018 Sienna. rtg might have based his avoidance of AWD when he bought his 2018 Sienna XLE FWD on information that did not apply to the 2018 Sienna.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts