Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else try hauling bikes yet and notice 1) you have to disable or turn off the Rear Parking Assist (otherwise you can’t back up) and 2) when bikes are loaded the back up screen goes almost completely black? And no, my bike isn’t THAT close to the back up camera. I like still being able to see around my bikes a bit, watch for people etc. just curious if anyone else if running into this issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had to turn off the parking assist, it would slam the brake unpredictably when backing up otherwise, but I was able to see around the bikes in the backup screen as well as in the integrated rear view camera. I have a suspended kind of bike rack and one of the bikes was very close to the ground and scraped it a couple of times when going over dips, have to switch out to a platform carrier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, mine is a platform carrier, too. I tried with the bike off and the back-up camera worked fine, as soon as I put the bike on, it was completely dark. I think since the van is new I'm going to let the dealership try and help! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's probably a good idea, do you have the Curt Hitch on? I am debating if I should switch to a platform carrier or one of those adapters that raise the height of the hitch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a 2" Kuat platform rack and have been happy with how "high" it holds the bikes. Yes, went with the Curt hitch and installed it ourselves. It had bent a bit in transit, so after calling e-trailer's support, used a vice to hold while we re-bent into the correct width for all the holes to line up with the pre-drilled bolts underneath. Don't love the "look" but I routinely need to haul bikes, so it's a trade-off I was willing (and planning) to make.
C22URCurt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is a Curt Hitch too, and it was the right fit and went on easily. Here's what the camera shows with the bikes loaded

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
243 Posts
Related question. How does the bird eye view on the Platinum handle the same situation?
Our platinum has two cameras in the back. One for the DRM, and the other is for Birds Eye View and Rear parking combined. Both views would be blacked out in this case.

I am still waiting on our Curt Hitch so can't really give you a real answer yet.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
243 Posts
Btw, your bike carrier's size might have something to do with the Kick-Sensor not working. Looking at the picture in the other thread, looks like it is has some width and close enough to the bumper. The kick sensor needs someone to get within few inches of the sensor. It is hard to tell how close is the bike carrier in the angle above, but it does looks pretty close. How close can you get to the bumper with the carrier attached?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll try loading up a bike and taking some pictures later today when it's not raining.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Related question. How does the bird eye view on the Platinum handle the same situation?
The bike carrying portion of the rack is right at the Bird's View Camera's periphery, so all you see is a distorted view of the first bike from an acute angle [as seen in the right third section of the third image]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts