Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My Toyota Sienna 2018 awd build has a battery problem... and I am curious if this is a common issue or not. My battery dies within 1 to 2 days if I do not drive, it is a deep cycle yellow top optima. I have had this battery for less than a year and it’s pretty much shot already!

I am wondering if this is a common minivan thing because of all the technology like the AWD etc., things like that constantly drawing power or if I just happened to get a bad battery from the start??

I got the battery tested a couple months ago and it tested normal, But now when it was tested the cold cranking amps are very low.

So, does anyone else with a minivan conversion of this issue? Or any other types of vans? I am wondering if this is going to be a chronic thing or not and if I need to change vehicles. I’m hoping I just got a bad battery from the start!

I apologize if this was confusing post, let me know what you all think! Thanks!!!!

Also as far as we area aware there’s nothing wrong with the vehicle otherwise!

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you have already gone through the process of ensuring that the Van does not have a paraditic draw then it is very likely a bad battety. Batteries, even expensive ones, can fail much sooner than their rated life and can occasionally be a miss. If you google Optima batteries, a lot of folks have experience similar to yours.

I have been running the same Optima YellowTop (Group 35D) which is in its 6th year now (knock on wood) and it's been rock solid.
If the battery is bad as per testing then you should have yours replaced for free under the 3 year free replacement warranty

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree, probably a bad battery. I have left ours for a week or two with no problems. Some of the electronics goes into low power mode or shuts off after a week to reduce battery discharge. Good for long term parking at an airport or with the current virus restrictions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi ! Thank you so much for your detailed reply, that’s really helpful. I bet you are right. However, I realize I forgot to share that during these times when it dies the keys including the key fob or left in the vehicle (as I am living and sleeping in this van). I have heard from a few people that the fobs sometimes activate the cars brain in a matter of speaking, what do you think about that for drawing power? Thanks so much for all your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, probably a bad battery. I have left ours for a week or two with no problems. Some of the electronics goes into low power mode or shuts off after a week to reduce battery discharge. Good for long term parking at an airport or with the current virus restrictions.
I think you both are right! that’s good to know about the electronics shutting off. However I realize that my situation is probably more complicated, considering I’m sleeping/living in this van — therefore the keys including the key fob are in the van all the time. I’ve heard from some people that that can sometimes draw power, have you heard about this before?

Thanks so much again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have already gone through the process of ensuring that the Van does not have a paraditic draw then it is very likely a bad battety. Batteries, even expensive ones, can fail much sooner than their rated life and can occasionally be a miss. If you google Optima batteries, a lot of folks have experience similar to yours.

I have been running the same Optima YellowTop (Group 35D) which is in its 6th year now (knock on wood) and it's been rock solid.
If the battery is bad as per testing then you should have yours replaced for free under the 3 year free replacement warranty
also that’s incredible about your Optima! I will definitely look into getting mine replaced ASAP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you check for parasitic draw?
Get an ammeter and put it in series while the battery negative is hooked up.
Shut and lock the car
Gently remove the negative terminal
Wait 15+ minutes, the current draw will drop as everything goes to sleep

The draw will never go to zero because you still have an alarm system. But it should be like, 5-10 milliamps. If it's a lot more than that, several hundredths to a tenth of an amp, then you have a parasitic draw

Unplug fuses until it drops.

It could be a short to ground, but it could also be a computer that refuses to go to sleep

·
Registered
214 Posts
Page 145 in owners manual - looks like power is reduced for battery drain:

3-2. Opening, closing and locking the doors 145

Operation of each component
■Battery-saving function
In the following circumstances, the entry function is disabled in order to prevent
the vehicle battery from discharging and the electronic key battery from
discharging.
●When the entry function has not been used for 5 days or more
●When the electronic key has been left within approximately 6 ft. (2 m) of the
vehicle for 10 minutes or more
●If the entry function has not been used for 14 days or more, the vehicle cannot
be unlocked by a door other than the driver’s door. To unlock the vehicle,
grip the driver’s door handle or use the wireless remote control or the
mechanical key.
The system will resume operation when...
●The vehicle is locked using the lock sensor when carrying the electronic key
on your person.
●The vehicle is locked/unlocked using the wireless remote control. (→P. 111)
●The vehicle is locked/unlocked using the mechanical key. (→P. 503)
■Conditions affecting operation
→P. 119
__

·
Registered
14 Posts
Scientific method. You know the battery is bad, why? Have you had situations that drained down the battery more than 3 different times. Regular Battery's, loose significant life span going bellow 50 %. This is why the alternator alway's keeps it charged for starting. When you start, immediately check battery with volt meter. 12.3-12.6 before start ( since your living in it maybe lower ( door's and windows more often when parked and off) When you park after driving what's your battery level. Back to the start sequence, you should see volt meter read 13-14.5 when first starting. This tells you your alternator is functioning. " If " your not driving daily where your camped is your battery loosing power below 12? If so, how long does it take for the battery to drop? ( a quick drop would indicate faulty battery) a slower drop would lean towards your camping / user style. Are your daytime running light's on? If so, and you climb in back without exiting driver door and closing it daytime running light wound go off automatically. Also, you can disconnect negative and see if drain down time frames change with battery just sitting. As mentioned above by berninicaco, If your loosing power and your confident it's not user style/error look for the parasitic loads/draw. Turn off auto dome function and keep doors closed. I've heard some complaint's about people leaving side doors open and killing their battery. Try to figure out the cause before committing to another battery and possibly killing that one too. Accessories? Are you using the 12v/115v in the back a bunch? If the car has had body work sometimes ground wires accidently aren't proper? all thing to look at before committing. I do love my little micro battery jumper for both additional cell charging and emergency self jump starts( about the same size as a cd case). good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts