Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Sienna is going to turn 5 in April.
It still has the original battery.

I'm thinking I should just replace it now before it goes dead since it's unlikely to last that much longer.

I've had no problems with it and never had to get the car boosted.

Should I replace it now or wait?

Also, what kind of battery should I get? Toyota seems kind of expensive. My own mechanic favors Deka. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
I felt compelled to replace the OE battery on my 2015 three weeks ago after an interesting incident. Pretty sure my van just turned 5 (need to recheck the build date). Sure you aren't approaching 4?

I was playing around with some diagnostic software, so the ignition was in RUN mode but with the engine off for around 15 minutes. Radio & HVAC all off, but the doors open and power memory seat cycled a few times. Suddenly everything slowed to a halt.... The battery voltage had dropped to around 10.5v.

It had started just fine hours before, and after recharging with my NOCO smart charger for a few hours it would start again, but I no longer trusted it. When RESERVE CAPACITY drops that low, there is real trouble ahead. Maybe a month earlier I told my wife that I was thinking of replacing it proactively simply because.... Now I had a legit reason to do so.

My go-to battery is Walmart's Everstart Maxx. The Group 24F is rated at 725 CCA and 130 minutes Reserve, it's a hefty increase over the OE unit. And at $93 a pretty good buy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts