Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our van seems hard on batteries and is killing batteries quicker than I would want. Our van is from 2014 and it is the second time we are addressing a battery issue. We live in SoCal with mild temperatures and no other reasons for them to fail on us.

Is there any upgrade I should consider to increase that life span? Or a known drain problem I should keep an eye on?

·
Registered
39 Posts
when possible I usually start the van to open and close the sliding doors and rear rear hatch as much as possible, that might help a little bit. And i keep the light switch to off instead of door ajar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Look for parasitic draw. Youtube has some videos on how to do that if you’re somewhat knowledgeable with a multimeter and have a little time on your hands.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Our van seems hard on batteries and is killing batteries quicker than I would want. Our van is from 2014 and it is the second time we are addressing a battery issue. We live in SoCal with mild temperatures and no other reasons for them to fail on us.

Is there any upgrade I should consider to increase that life span? Or a known drain problem I should keep an eye on?
If you are getting 3 years trouble free I wouldn't worry about it. You can try the premium batteries or AGM (absorbed glass matt) battery, but you'll pay for it. I think I got about 3 years out of my last battery. I was a little worried about there being other issues, but after replacing it it has been fine for the last year. I generally buy NAPA legend batteries and replace at first sign of weakness FWIW. I dont think it's worth it to try and stretch the life of a battery or buy the premium ones.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Buy battery from Costco. Cheaper than others at $96 with core and tax. Also use a trickle charger and check for parasitic draw like a member. 3 yrs is not bad. Most batteries have 3 yrs warranty free replacement no questions ask and pro rated at 3 1/2 yrs. So check your warrant before you buy a new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
also, if you have a costco membership, i'd buy batteries from there. their prices are generally pretty reasonable with a decent warranty.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Buy battery from Costco. Cheaper than others at $96 with core and tax. Also use a trickle charger and check for parasitic draw like a member. 3 yrs is not bad. Most batteries have 3 yrs warranty free replacement no questions ask and pro rated at 3 1/2 yrs. So check your warrant before you buy a new one.
I’m just at the 3.5 year mark on my OEM battery, which I have been maintaining with a battery tender on and off (especially helpful during the shelter in place order that has been in effect for the past three months) and recently topped off with some distilled water. Will see how much I can squeeze out of it - the only issue I’ve noticed thus far knock on wood is corrosion on the positive terminal, which means it is likely on its way out (don’t think overcharging is the issue in a traditional sense since my trickle charger is supposedly “smart”.) I cleaned up the corrosion and will see how quickly it returns...

I have a jump pack which ironically needs both its SLA battery and AC/DC power brick replaced, but I picked up a couple of those ultracapacitor USB jump packs to store in the glovebox of each of my vehicles just in case. Once my OEM battery goes bust, I’ll definitely be picking up a replacement from Costco.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I’m just at the 3.5 year mark on my OEM battery, which I have been maintaining with a battery tender on and off (especially helpful during the shelter in place order that has been in effect for the past three months) and recently topped off with some distilled water. Will see how much I can squeeze out of it - the only issue I’ve noticed thus far knock on wood is corrosion on the positive terminal, which means it is likely on its way out (don’t think overcharging is the issue in a traditional sense since my trickle charger is supposedly “smart”.) I cleaned up the corrosion and will see how quickly it returns...

I have a jump pack which ironically needs both its SLA battery and AC/DC power brick replaced, but I picked up a couple of those ultracapacitor USB jump packs to store in the glovebox of each of my vehicles just in case. Once my OEM battery goes bust, I’ll definitely be picking up a replacement from Costco.
Had mine for 4 yrs and still no issue last year but went ahead to replace it with Interstate battery from Costco. I saw white powdery stuff on the positive terminal and cleaned it. But it keep happening. So I just went ahead and change it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Walmart has very competitive prices on batteries, too. My 2015's battery just went bad this summer after 5 years of service. I bought the cheapest ValuePower battery from Walmart at about $50, same CCA rating as the factory battery at 575 CCA I believe. It only carries a 1 year warranty but why pay more when the more expensive batteries with slightly higher CCA rating? I am convinced it's the same battery regardless of price since it is made by the same company. Would they really invest in making two different batteries with the same dimension and weight? They might just label the higher rating batteries as a higher price battery.

I will report the life of the battery. I do try to use a battery tender to charge up the battery once a while since I don't drive long distance now, especially with COVID.

·
Registered
2009 Metallic Slate Sienna LE
72 Posts
Heat is a huge factor. Summers are a killer. In harsh Phoenix, AZ it is pretty much 2 years in any of my cars here, max life being 2.5 years. So bad here versus Oregon, that Costco doesn't carry as many vehicle battery types because of warranty usage. If you are getting a good solid 3+ years in So. Cal, I would say you are doing pretty good. And since this is only the 2nd time in 8 years for your 2014, you are doing great. At least based on Phoenix cars. I wonder what the average range for battery life is for your area. Have you asked local friends to get an idea?

My same cars in Oregon would get 4-5 years easy from just about any battery. But after I moved to AZ, I got 2.5 years max and many here said that was great since it's usually 2.0 years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wife and I went camping in my nearly new 2011 XLE. we watched a movie on the entertainment system, I turned off everything I could. Didn’t even see the whole movie and needed a jump the next morning. Leaving the doors open to long also seems to drain something even with all lights off. During this pandemic after a couple months sitting on the driveway I lost all power, partially from an always-on autostart receiver (I’ve since learned how to turn it off). FWIW I’m on battery #3.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have a loaded 2005 AWD and we are only now rolling over 100,000 miles.
I had the same battery problem which was due to my use of Autozone batteries, which would all go out about halfway through the 3 to 4 year warrenty. I switched to top rated NAPA Batteries. The failure mode of the AZ batteries made in Mexico was the shorting out due to corrosion between the plates, and while they replaced it under the warranty it was a pain going thru the replacement process.

The 2nd problem was the run flat tires it came with. They developed big blisters due to heating on these hi speed California freeways. I replaced them with standard tires, but there was no place to carry a spare, so I has to buy one and put it the back which took up usuable space.

Then the radio quit working right, and now i always have to leave it on one of the few remaining stations, and then turn up the volume to hear anything. More later on the other problems.

Then the driver side door stop broke and

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, agree this van eats batteries and brakes for breakfast. I've been through several on my '06. It even managed to mangle an Optima that I luckily got warantee refund.

The time the Optima died, I had no idea it was the battery, thought it was a significant electric issue, so took it to dealer instead of local mechanic. They basically ran a bunch of tests, determined it was battery and asked if I'd rather pay for a new battery or pay for the diagnostic fee. So of course I just bought their battery.

That is on it's way out too. I ended up getting an onboard charger to keep the battery charged since we don't move the vehicle often, especially because of COVID-19 stuff. It certainly helps. I got a through the wall charger, so that I can just plug in an extension cord without having to open up the hood. It's like an electric car now.

However, whenever the Toyota battery dies, I think I'd go back to Optima - yes they aren't what they used to be, and no I don't need peformance. BUT, you can normally get a coupon for Advance Auto Parts and make it reasonable. AND you get that great warranty - and AAP is pretty much all over if I am on the road and have something happen, easy enough to get to AAP.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I have a 2007 Sienna LTD limited. I have replaced the battery 3 times. The average life span of batteries is suppose to be about 3 years (depending upon environment). The first time I had to replace the battery, the service technician said that Sienna's are especially hard on batteries and use a lot of power. So if you operate items without the engine running the battery drains faster than any other vehicle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m on my second sienna, a 2014. The 14 is better, but not much. Basically the algorithm they use to decide when to put the electronics to sleep sucks. If you make a stop, after you turn the car off make sure you open and close the driver’s door, whether or not you are getting out. Also try not to leave a door ajar. Lastly you can minimize the on time after shut down of your lights.

·
Registered
301 Posts

Our 2011 Limited is on its fourth battery with slightly over 60K miles. One died in the most irritating way: intermittent failures for several weeks a few winters ago, until I finally had it towed instead of jumping it (it was always fine immediately after jumping) and dealership found a bad cell. Before that they thought it was some electrical gremlin. All under warranty (OK, this must have been more like 7 years ago!) but a real drag while it was going on.

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts
Walmart has very competitive prices on batteries, too. My 2015's battery just went bad this summer after 5 years of service. I bought the cheapest ValuePower battery from Walmart at about $50, same CCA rating as the factory battery at 575 CCA I believe. It only carries a 1 year warranty but why pay more when the more expensive batteries with slightly higher CCA rating? I am convinced it's the same battery regardless of price since it is made by the same company. Would they really invest in making two different batteries with the same dimension and weight? They might just label the higher rating batteries as a higher price battery.

I will report the life of the battery. I do try to use a battery tender to charge up the battery once a while since I don't drive long distance now, especially with COVID.
Very interesting experiment! I'm a big fan of the Walmart Everstart Maxx, their premium battery. Early this year I paid $95 for Group 24F rated at 725 CCA and 130 min reserve.

Now I had assumed that the premium battery was heavier and likely had more lead (larger plates, or more plates). Maybe not.... I replaced the 5 year old OEM battery proactively when perceived cold cranking fell below what sounded good to my ear. It might have lasted longer, but I didn't want to take a chance. The new battery 'sounds' great.

Let us know how your battery pans out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts