Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sienna LE
255 Posts
Based on the fact that you own a 2006, what are your thoughts on it?
And since this model was from 2004 to 2010, how is it that 2009 was one of the best years? Doesnt make any sense to me.
We owned a 2006 from brand new for 10 years and had 1 warranty claim and zero other issues.
I now own a 2020 and dont like it nearly as much as our 2006. Less features, way more squeaks and rattles, brutally stupid drivers side arm rest position etc.

·
Registered
2006 LE
2,037 Posts
The issues with the 2006 , the last year with the 3.3L engine , are at this time well known. Having the ability and the knowledge ( this forum has been and continues to educate me) to fix the issues are paramount and no doubt makes it advantageous to own this vehicle. So much so , were I to consider the purchase of a used vehicle I would not hesitate to purchase any Toyota /Lexus with this engine. Why? Coz I know enough about it now. IIRC , aside from regular maintenance it was after year ten of ownership that the most expensive repair was $250. However the long known list of repairs continued. Steering rack, O2 sensors , radiator , coolant leak in the valley , just to name a few. However , after these fixes which I performed on my own the van has been stellar , now with 196k miles ,it still drives like new , honestly. So ,yes , every year/ model will have its share of issues , some more than others. Supposedly the 08-10 in this generation are better but then they too had some issues , cooling lines and so forth. However these later years from what I understand are not as DIY friendly. I have no experience with them. Mine is an LE with just the passenger side auto door and when that breaks then I will just go manual. My aircon is not as fancy as those separate controls for driver and front passenger. I can do without all the fancy stuff that new cars have today . I like to keep things simple as well.
My 06 is a keeper !!

·
Registered
2006 Sienna XLE with NAV 225k miles
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Until today, the major repairs on my 06 are the front wheel bearings on both sides, power steering rack and pinion, front lower control arms, front struts, rear shocks, and a/c servo on the driver side. The sliding door cable on the passenger side broke down, and I use it manually now. A lot of these repairs are wear and tear except the passenger side wheel bearing (10k miles, defective). The engine, transmission and coolant system are working fine so far. It is definitely a keeper for me. BTW, there is slow Freon leak, I add freon if needed for the last few years.

Based on the fact that you own a 2006, what are your thoughts on it?
And since this model was from 2004 to 2010, how is it that 2009 was one of the best years? Doesnt make any sense to me.
We owned a 2006 from brand new for 10 years and had 1 warranty claim and zero other issues.
I now own a 2020 and dont like it nearly as much as our 2006. Less features, way more squeaks and rattles, brutally stupid drivers side arm rest position etc.

·
Registered
2006 LE
2,037 Posts
BTW, there is slow Freon leak, I add freon if needed for the last few years.
I too had a slow freon leak for years and I found it when I pulled the front bumper off to install a transmission cooler. Facing the van it was the upper left hand corner and the black oil residue on the fins was the dead give away. You can remove the upper black plastic cover in that area and use a flashlight and a mirror to examine. You could also peek between the slim grill areas located just above and below the Toyota emblem. I got lucky as I feared my leak would have been in the evaporator area. That would be tough were it so.

Reactions: SilverMachine

·
Registered
2006 Sienna XLE with NAV 225k miles
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Paul! I will check it out when it gets warmer!

I too had a slow freon leak for years and I found it when I pulled the front bumper off to install a transmission cooler. Facing the van it was the upper left hand corner and the black oil residue on the fins was the dead give away. You can remove the upper black plastic cover in that area and use a flashlight and a mirror to examine. You could also peek between the slim grill areas located just above and below the Toyota emblem. I got lucky as I feared my leak would have been in the evaporator area. That would be tough were it so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 06 has been bullet proof. My Mother in law bought brand new and gave it to my sister in law who ran it into the ground. SIL bought a new car and was sending the Sienna to the scrap yard but I asked for it. Was gifted the van for free. I took hold of it at 116k. Changed lower control arms/bushings, stabilizer links, front rotors/hubs/bearings, rack and pinion, timing belt/radiator/thermostat/hoses, motor mounts. All parts have been from Rock Auto. I've spent about 2k in total and the van is my daily driver. I drive 80 miles daily to work and home. Best vehicle i have ever owned. I have the CE and it's great for trips, beach, park and for transporting the grandkids. It is rust free. Only thing that I need to do next is replace the oil and trans pan gaskets. I believe in preventive maintenance so I replace wear items before failure. Sienna still has original starter, alternator and fuel pump which I will be switching out soon. Sister in law hit a pole with the plastic bumper. Been meaning to use a heat gun to take the dent out. I currently have 254k miles. Run Valvoline synthetic oil on the Sienna.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 06 has been bullet proof. My Mother in law bought brand new and gave it to my sister in law who ran it into the ground. SIL bought a new car and was sending the Sienna to the scrap yard but I asked for it. Was gifted the van for free. I took hold of it at 116k. Changed lower control arms/bushings, stabilizer links, front rotors/hubs/bearings, rack and pinion, timing belt/radiator/thermostat/hoses, motor mounts. All parts have been from Rock Auto. I've spent about 2k in total and the van is my daily driver. I drive 80 miles daily to work and home. Best vehicle i have ever owned. I have the CE and it's great for trips, beach, park and for transporting the grandkids. It is rust free. Only thing that I need to do next is replace the oil and trans pan gaskets. I believe in preventive maintenance so I replace wear items before failure. Sienna still has original starter, alternator and fuel pump which I will be switching out soon. Sister in law hit a pole with the plastic bumper. Been meaning to use a heat gun to take the dent out. I currently have 254k miles. Run Valvoline synthetic oil on the Sienna.
Did you mean 216000 miles?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts