Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of purchasing a 2017 LE AWD and have been trying to do some research about run-flat tires. The only ones that seem to be generally available for Sienna AWDs is the Bridgestone Turanza or Drive Guard, but the online reviews of these tires aren't consistent and tend towards unfavorable. Has anyone come across a better run-flat that will work for this vehicle?

There's also the option of switching to regular non run-flats, but I wanted to try to do a thorough job of researching run-flats first, and thought I might be able to find some wisdom here :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Our set of DriveGuards has 11,400 miles and the tread depth is 10/32-11/32,
which is typical for new tires. Ride and noise is better compared to the FWD
Sienna dealer shuttle. Same observations for the DriveGuards on our CR-Z
compared to the OEM tires, also handles better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The best RF tire is the Drive Guard. The biggest complaint I've heard is that they wear fast... but the reality is, if you rotate them every 5k, they will last a long time. I've always felt they were a good tire with decent snow traction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We got a 5th matching wheel from Rock Auto for $135, and ditched the crappy Bridgestone run-flats for 5) high-performance Nokian WR Gen 4, which we will rotate as 5 tires. The spare lives in the van with the other cargo; we will make a cover for it and bolt it to something eventually.

My buddy had the predictable nightmare experience of running on a flat run-flat about 35 miles out of the boonies until it disintegrated completely literally at the tire store driveway. He had to buy a full set to match his worn-out tires to the new single on his BMW AWD. Not having a real spare can be expensive and potentially dangerous.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just put DriveGuards on my 2016 to replace the OEM Turanza. It's hard to say for me since i'm not the daily driver and the Turanzas were so worn that ANYTHING would feel better.

That being said (and maybe it's placebo), I do feel like they're slightly quieter than the ones we removed. Time will tell how they perform. Haven't seen the white stuff since we got them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Note that my DriveGuards have "as new" thread depth after 11,000 miles, and have a 60,000 mile tread warranty. They have better siping and noticeably better winter traction than our previous aftermarket Turanzas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts