Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a 2018 Limited FWD with just 2k kms on it. When on a phone call using bluetooth the other party won’t hear me but I can hear them. Tried pairing a different phone but with same result. Also no light indicator in the SOS Safety Connect button. Brought it to the dealer today, they did a system reset but did not fix the problem. Least they can do is file a report to Toyota Canada and wait for their reply. Any thoughts on this issue.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
File a report? Why don't they diagnose the problem? If the SOS button isn't lit and the microphone in the overhead console isn't picking up your voice then it sound's like the overhead console is either defective or partially disconnected.

Did these features work when the vehicle was new? Has anyone mucked with the overhead console?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
File a report? Why don't they diagnose the problem? If the SOS button isn't lit and the microphone in the overhead console isn't picking up your voice then it sound's like the overhead console is either defective or partially disconnected.

Did these features work when the vehicle was new? Has anyone mucked with the overhead console?
These two features work perfectly fine when I got my Sienna. I’m pretty sure no one mucked the overhead console since I’m the only driver in the family. I just noticed 5 days ago when I tried to call my wife twice and she won’t hear me. Since distracted driving is a big thing here in Canada nowadays I need my bluetooth connection up and running. Still waiting from Toyota’s response.

·
Registered
245 Posts
These two features work perfectly fine when I got my Sienna. I’m pretty sure no one mucked the overhead console since I’m the only driver in the family. I just noticed 5 days ago when I tried to call my wife twice and she won’t hear me. Since distracted driving is a big thing here in Canada nowadays I need my bluetooth connection up and running. Still waiting from Toyota’s response.

I agree with Geezer . . why didn't the dealer just diagnose/repair it under warranty?

·
Super Moderator
5,018 Posts
While I don't see your specific complaints listed, there are several TSB's out about infotainment problems. Most of them will have the end result of attempting to update the software or replacing the head with one that has some further updates.

T-SB-0235-17 (July, 2017), T-SB-0068-18 (July, 2018), T-SB-0074-18 (August, 2018) and T-SB-00155-18 (December, 2018)

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Any update on this? I am having the exact same problem with me 2016 SE.
How could you be "having the exact same problem"? The 2016 Sienna SE did not have Safety Connect and its SOS button in the overhead console.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m on a vacation trip in Asia right now. I will update you guys once I come back end of the month. Hoping to get a reply from Toyota.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I can’t wait for Toyota’s response I went to the dealer today. I ask the service advisor to do a diagnostics again to my Sienna. The technician noted that the battery of my Sienna was replace 3 days after I bought it for hard starting issues (the previous technician missed that thing). They pointed out the battery replacement was the culprit. They uninstall/install the battery and do a reset of the system and now it’s both up and running.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Since I can’t wait for Toyota’s response I went to the dealer today. I ask the service advisor to do a diagnostics again to my Sienna. The technician noted that the battery of my Sienna was replace 3 days after I bought it for hard starting issues (the previous technician missed that thing). They pointed out the battery replacement was the culprit. They uninstall/install the battery and do a reset of the system and now it’s both up and running.

Good inexpensive fix . . thanks for the update!

·
Registered
2 Posts
They pointed out the battery replacement was the culprit. They uninstall/install the battery and do a reset of the system and now it’s both up and running.

Hi there, thank you so much for sharing all this!

I have the exact same problem with my 2018 LE. Microphone seems dead ("I can hear them, they can't hear me").

What do you mean by a "reset of the system"? Just unhooking the battery for a few minutes would do that? Or need extra tools for it?

Thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would suggest to bring your Sienna to the dealer since it still has the factory warranty. That’s what I did the last time around. I’m not sure of how the did it step by step but that’s how the service advisor explain to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I managed to fix it myself :)

Here's what I did, on my 2018 Sienna LE with the Entune 3.0 multimedia w/o navigation:
  • popped the hood
  • unhooked the (+) from the battery
  • left it unhooked for about 5 minutes
  • hooked the battery back
  • key in ignition and turned it all the way, to start engine
  • the display on the multimedia system showed a "Loading" bar ... and after about 30-45 seconds it started
  • I paired my phone via bluetooth, and placed a call => microphone worked, my voice got heard really well on the other side!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I managed to fix it myself :)

Here's what I did, on my 2018 Sienna LE with the Entune 3.0 multimedia w/o navigation:
  • popped the hood
  • unhooked the (+) from the battery
  • left it unhooked for about 5 minutes
  • hooked the battery back
  • key in ignition and turned it all the way, to start engine
  • the display on the multimedia system showed a "Loading" bar ... and after about 30-45 seconds it started
  • I paired my phone via bluetooth, and placed a call => microphone worked, my voice got heard really well on the other side!
Thank you - this worked on my 2020 Sienna.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts