Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Background
I bought a new Sienna 2020 last December (2019) in a Toyota dealer (let's call it Dealer A).
After driving for a few hundreds miles, I found the steering wheel is a little off to the right. Then I took the car to Dealer A to do steering wheel alignment at around February. The steering wheel was aligning well for about one month then started to be off to the left since March.
In around 5/16/2020, I took the car to another Toyota dealer (let's call it Dealer B) which is closed to my home to do steering wheel alignment again. The steering wheel was aligning well for about one month then started to be off to the left again.

Today (6/29/2020), I took the car to Dealer B to do steering wheel alignment again. The technician just called me.
She asked whether the car was in an accident. I said no.
She asked whether the car was brand new when I bought it. I said yes.
She said she found out the suspension has been replaced. I was very surprised.
She said she is doing further more checking now.

Question
I don't know what to do. If the technician in Dealer B is telling the truth, what should I do with Dealer A?
I cannot accept buying a brand new car from a dealer but got to know the car is not "brand new".
Should I ask for returning the car? (The mileage of the car is about 9300 miles now, I drove it a lot since I bought it.)
Should I ask for changing for another brand new car?
Should I involve lawyer?

Your suggestion is really appreciated.

Note
Since everything is not officially announced at this moment, I have not got official document to prove the suspension is replaced, I won't disclose the dealer's information.
I will disclose the dealer information later when everything gets more clear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Frankly, I would not care what dealer sold you the vehicle. Take it up with Toyota Corporate. Since the vehicle is under warranty and Dealer B identified the issue, it would probably be easier to work with Dealer B to engage with Corporate. Let them determine if Dealer A was at fault.

Dealers often warranty wheel alignments for a certain amount of time and mileage. You should not have needed three alignments within 10k miles regardless of the vehicle’s age.

You may be owed a replacement vehicle under your state’s Lemon Law since this is already the third repair for the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts
Newer laws in your state might protect your rights to a "NEW" undamaged vehicle, but there may be limitations.

Many years ago I bought a new vehicle, and later found out that it had been in an accident and the front fender and some substructure had been replaced/repaired. This was when we lived in TX. We were told that it wasn't uncommon for a vehicle to be damaged during transportation (ever watch the shenanigans of how vehicles are manhandled getting them on an off those car carrier trailers??). As long as the repair damage did not exceed some percentage of the total vehicle worth (sorry, don't remember what that was), there was no legal recourse.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frankly, I would not care what dealer sold you the vehicle. Take it up with Toyota Corporate. Since the vehicle is under warranty and Dealer B identified the issue, it would probably be easier to work with Dealer B to engage with Corporate. Let them determine if Dealer A was at fault.

Dealers often warranty wheel alignments for a certain amount of time and mileage. You should not have needed three alignments within 10k miles regardless of the vehicle’s age.

You may be owed a replacement vehicle under your state’s Lemon Law since this is already the third repair for the same issue.

Thx. Just called Dealer B again. Dealer B will give me

Thanks. Dealer B will send me photos and documents about the replaced parts. Then I will talk to Toyota company and also dealer A.
Hopefully Toyota customer service can respond to me timely.
I'm in Washington State, in order to do Lemon Law, do I need to hire a lawyer? I've never tried Lemon Law before.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Newer laws in your state might protect your rights to a "NEW" undamaged vehicle, but there may be limitations.

Many years ago I bought a new vehicle, and later found out that it had been in an accident and the front fender and some substructure had been replaced/repaired. This was when we lived in TX. We were told that it wasn't uncommon for a vehicle to be damaged during transportation (ever watch the shenanigans of how vehicles are manhandled getting them on an off those car carrier trailers??). As long as the repair damage did not exceed some percentage of the total vehicle worth (sorry, don't remember what that was), there was no legal recourse.
Do you mean eventually you didn't get the car replaced?
How can I figure out whether the car has been in an accident before? What if the dealer just refuse to admit the car has been in an accident and says they don't know anything about the replaced parts? Is there a way I can track down what's going on with the replaced parts?

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts
Correct. No legal remedy, at least back then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would google Lemon Law Attorney Washington and see what comes up and give them a call. I have a friend that did a Lemon Law claim in California and he called a few attorneys and found one he liked and there is no financial commitment by the owner (you) and the attorney gets paid by the manufacturer if you win. Again, Google then call and the attorney will let you know. BTW - his was a VW Tourareg that had alignment issues and they were unable to get it into spec. They offered to make some of the payments then to buy him new tires. He said no, contacted the attorney and won his case. Good Luck!!!

Thanks. Dealer B will send me photos and documents about the replaced parts. Then I will talk to Toyota company and also dealer A.
Hopefully Toyota customer service can respond to me timely.
I'm in Washington State, in order to do Lemon Law, do I need to hire a lawyer? I've never tried Lemon Law before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts