Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All -

I bought a new set of non-HID headlights off of eBay in January, and was being a lazy-but and didn't get around to installing them until last week. Much to my horror, I found out that I should have purchased HID headlights instead. And then when I priced out replacement HID headlights, I was REALLY horrified.

So my question is this... can I take my nice new non-HID assemblies and Frankenstein in my HID guts to come up with a functional and reliable HID assembly? Yes, I have a dremel, and I'm not afraid to use it...

Or should I just put these new lights in the classifieds and try a lens restoration kit instead?

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm no expert but I'd compare the bulbs and observe the light source location. If not identical the reflector housing would scatter light all over hell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good point...

I wonder if I can simply "downgrade" to the new lights as they are? The HID lights have 5 wire inputs, whereas the non-HIDs only have 4.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I made the same mistake. 2008 Limited with HID lights that were terribly faded. The new non-HID headlight assemblies came with new bulbs included and I was able to modify the existing wiring for the HID to work with the new bulbs. It's a bulb and only needs hot and negative after all. There were some extra connectors that were not needed for the new standard bulbs. It appears the original HID lights had a 'tilt' feature that would raise or lower beam based on speed? At any rate the new headlights work well and light way better that the old faded HID assemblies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts