Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my 2021 Sienna XSE AWD in for 20k maintenance at the dealership. They stated that the brake fluid was “dark” and said that can happen when humidity gets into the system. They wanted to replace the fluid for $210.
I am wondering if there is an issue if humidity is getting into the brake system? Doesn’t seem like that should happen. Also, should I change it at 20k miles?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
At 20k I would tell them it’s covered under the 3 year 36000 mile manufacturer warranty and call Toyota for approval. I’m pretty sure that would end the conversation. If not I would ask them to escalate the issue to Toyota and provide me the case number and contact at Toyota to follow up with. Possibly Toyota will tell me to take to another dealer for a second opinion. 😂😇💵😵‍💫🤑

·
Registered
40 Posts
In 2013, I had the toyota dealer tell me my camry water pump had a little leak and I would need to change the pump soon. I still have the camry today, and it now has 275K miles on it with the original water pump. They are trying to sell you a service that you don't need.

·
Registered
2009 le awd
439 Posts
In 2013, I had the toyota dealer tell me my camry water pump had a little leak and I would need to change the pump soon. I still have the camry today, and it now has 275K miles on it with the original water pump. They are trying to sell you a service that you don't need.
I guess soon is 200,000 miles later.
In all seriousness repair shops (not all) look for some easy cash recommending unnecessary work.
And the less you know about a vehicle the easier it becomes for them.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I guess soon is 200,000 miles later.
In all seriousness repair shops (not all) look for some easy cash recommending unnecessary work.
And the less you know about a vehicle the easier it becomes for them.
Fluids are always a favorite service to sell for a shop because it's one of those that's easy to "show" to the customer. Look, this fluid is a different color than the brand new fluid, it looks nasty, time to change it. And fluid changes are in the price range where most people can afford to pay it and so just do it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Another dealer/shop scam is " replacing break fluid" for that $210+. I've found that many shops will simply use a syringe to suck out the dirty fluid from the reservoir and pour in fresh fluid, so it looks like the entire system was replaced. A visual inspection by the car owner would appear they did the job.
The reality is that a proper "replacement of break fluid" is pulling all for wheels and bleeding all 4 brakes over and over until fresh fluid is replaced in the entire system. That's a proper job.
There is a Mavis Tire that offers a coupon for $89 brake flush. And they do a full proper job. That's a very fair price as it ties up a tech for easily an hour start to finish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts