Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

We have a 1999 Sienna LE. It has a few minor things that need repair, but it runs great. However, we are trying to figure out a part how to fix.. On the drivers side, rear brake light, the running light works, but not the brake light. We put in a new bulb and still nothing. Tried a second one and same thing. When we looked in the socket the contact point for the brake light has dropped out of view. Is replacing the socket fairly easy? We are fairly mechanical so we were hoping someone might have some insight. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - your brake light socket issue is exactly the same as the issue I had with my 1998 Sienna LE, this last week.

My temporary solution: Since I could see the depressed socket contact, I cut a piece of a metal rod, about a 1/16” of an inch long and whose diameter was that of the depressed socket contact, applied some dialectric grease to the hole, tiny metal rod and the new bulb’s contacts. With a tweezers, I placed the rod in position and very carefully twisted the bulb into the socket’s bayonet lock.

Pressing on the brake peddle,the brake filament lit properly, (The running filament was lit all along.)

Permanent solution: Today I picked up a new brake/running light harness from my Toyota dealer’s parts department. It will be installed this coming weekend. Cost about $56.
If you need future help, let me know and I’d be happy to help
Roy Lewis
Buffalo, NY

·
Registered
61 Posts
Are the contact clean? Degrease and polish with a dermel polishing buffing tool. Don’t know the real name. Shape like a missile and made of tough felt. Then if contacts aren’t moving, penetration oil and stick to free it up. Clean and light coating of silicone grease.
There dealer, EBay or parts store for replacement socket or whole light assembly .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts