Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new 2021 Sienna is now just over 1000 miles and I was going to change the oil and filter. Saw a youtube video suggesting this, Car Care Nut, but I spoke with the parts person at the dealer and he said that it wasn't necessary anymore. Any opinions from this group? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you are planning to keep the car for awhile then do it, then after that do it every 5k miles. even if you aren’t keeping too long it’s good to do that on any car

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you are planning to keep the car for awhile then do it, then after that do it every 5k miles. even if you aren’t keeping too long it’s good to do that on any car
Thanks. That is what I have done with all our other vehicles and our 19 year Odyssey still runs very well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We did one extra, initial oil change on our 2011, around 3k miles I think. Then the next one on schedule at 10k service, and every 10k since.

We did another bonus oil change around 148k, due to less driving during COVID. So I'll do the next one at 155k, along w/ new tires (shoot the gap between oil changes).

150k miles and still going...

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,340 Posts
Very old school thinking. If you want peak performance from your engine, leave it a few k miles. Maybe not as long as Toyota recommends, but more than 1k miles. Cylinder finishing and treatment is very different from 10 years ago, and a little friction and wear is good for oil control ring sealing. You need that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Very old school thinking. If you want peak performance from your engine, leave it a few k miles. Maybe not as long as Toyota recommends, but more than 1k miles. Cylinder finishing and treatment is very different from 10 years ago, and a little friction and wear is good for oil control ring sealing. You need that.
Yep, that was one reason for doing that first/bonus change at 3k. Then next one 7k later, at 10k. Then by the book from there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our new 2021 Sienna is now just over 1000 miles and I was going to change the oil and filter. Saw a youtube video suggesting this, Car Care Nut, but I spoke with the parts person at the dealer and he said that it wasn't necessary anymore. Any opinions from this group? Thanks in advance.
I would trust "Car Care Nut" guy more than the dealership people. I follow "Care Care Nut" guy and not only that makes sense but that his advice usually is technically logical and sound from an engineering perspective.

My personal rule for these things that I follow, is that the oil change is a relatively inexpensive job but it ensures longevity of engine. I would definitely change oil/filter at the 1000 miles mark, and then once every six months.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,340 Posts
My personal rule for these things that I follow, is that the oil change is a relatively inexpensive job but it ensures longevity of engine. I would definitely change oil/filter at the 1000 miles mark, and then once every six months.
You think you are doing your engine a favor by changing it early. My reading indicates you are actually doing a disservice by not allowing surfaces to properly mate. That Toyota tells you to leave it for 10k miles before the first change tells me that 1k is just wrong on a modern engine. I read one GM paper that wear & seating doesn't reach steady state until 30 hours, or something like 1500 use miles. And that was from nearly 20 years ago. Lots of papers about honing, heat treatment & microcoatings on the SAE site.

I cannot offer you a specific regiment to follow. Just that this isn't your grandfather's Buick.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would trust "Car Care Nut" guy more than the dealership people. I follow "Care Care Nut" guy and not only that makes sense but that his advice usually is technically logical and sound from an engineering perspective.
I've seen a few of his videos. Coincidentally, I've wondered if he should rebrand as "Car Care Guy" vs. "Car Care Nut", since I too think of him as "Car Care Nut Guy".

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE
2 Posts
My local dealership (BC, Canada) suggests 6k km as the first service. Given it's a stealership, I imagine that is probably ahead of what would be the most optimum service, but it seems reasonable to me. Before the computerized warnings I always shot for 5k km. Overkill? maybe but it just seems like piece of mind to me. Also, 5k turns into 7.5k when my wife is in charge of booking appointments. :)
I'm guessing the ICE doesn't run as much on a Hybrid as it would in a standard vehicle, which is probably why longer distances are ok.
Different topic, same sort of principle - I'll be attempting to break it in a bit by trying to avoid full throttle for longer than required and by trying to vary my speed/rpm, not sit at one speed on the hwy for a long period of time. Once again, just old-school me, probably not a requirement but piece of mind. Maybe 1k-2k km of this if I can remember that long.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XSE Awd Tech Package
78 Posts
It is in the warranty and maintenance guide.
There's no mention of oil change frequency in my warranty and maintenance guide which I think is odd. All it says is bring it in every 8,000 km for an inspection. I guess one could assume that means an oil change. I'll likely do my first oil change at 4-5 thousand km followed by 10,000 km intervals which is 6,000 miles for those south of the boarder. Oil and filter usually only costs about $25 so it's a relatively cheap to do compared to the vehicle cost so doing them frequently has always seemed like a no brainer to me. This is my first hybrid though but I assume the oil still goes in and out the same way ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can pull up the recommended maintenance schedule on Toyota's website, in Canada and probably USA too. You just enter your model and current mileage and it will display all future recommended maintenance based on mileage or time. The very first item of the very first service is "check installation of driver's floor mat" lol and a bunch of other inspections but no oil change.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just took delivery of a ‘21 Sienna. I’m planning on changing the oil at 1,000 miles. Main reason is to get any manufacturing residue (solvents, machining fragments, etc.) out of the lubrication system. A $35 oil change is cheap insurance when it is protecting a $10,000 engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The engine parts are going to continue to mate regardless of how long the oil is in the engine. The filter will trap any contaminates within reason (5-10K miles). What manufacturer's don't tell you that the most important thing for a long, healthy running engine is that you need to vary the engine RPM and run it up in the upper RPM range (not redline), and let it decelerate (using the manual shifter), in order to get the piston rings to properly expand and seat against the new cylinder walls and expell any wear from the ring grooves and cylinder walls out the exhaust. Engines that are broken this way have been proven to last longer, have more power, and burn little to no oil. I would suggest changing your oil when you wish and use the break in method I described. I have used it for years in all of my vehicles and it hasn't failed yet. For further proof and a detailed report, go to Mototune break in.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You can pull up the recommended maintenance schedule on Toyota's website, in Canada and probably USA too. You just enter your model and current mileage and it will display all future recommended maintenance based on mileage or time. The very first item of the very first service is "check installation of driver's floor mat" lol and a bunch of other inspections but no oil change.
Toyota's recommended maintenance schedule in USA is spelled out in detail in the "2021 Toyota Sienna Warranty and Maintenance Guide".
You can download it at T-MMS-21SiennaHV.pdf (toyota.com).
They recommend changing the oil and filter every 10,000 miles or 12 months for normal operation.
They recommend changing the oil and filter every 5,000 miles or 6 months for the following:
(1) Driving while towing, using a car-top carrier, or heavy vehicle loading;
(2) Repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below 32°F / 0°C;
(3) Extensive idling and/or low speed driving for a long distance such as police, taxi or door-to-door delivery use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just completed the first oil change at 1100 miles. Very simple. Only thing that is a pain is with the new oil it is not easy to tell what the level is. I took it to work 16 miles (2/3 freeway, rest local) and averaged 38mpg. Wife then took it and it went down to 34mpg. She doesn't understand the concept of easing on the gas pedal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts