Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XLE
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drive through any rural area this summer, and there are bugs splatted all over the car. Not so bad, lets find a car wash.

After that, I see the huge grasshoppers and moths embedded in my radiator. I see a lot of people in buggy areas have a screen like the one in your screen door over the grille to guard it. Has anyone done this on their Sienna?

·
Registered
2006 LE
2,178 Posts
When I bought my 06 Sienna new , one of the first things I did was to fabricate a 1/4 grid mesh doubled up and offset 1/8th of an inch for a finer grid. I installed this mesh behind the lower front part of the bumber by removing the splashshield.

I did this primarily to prevent rocks and the like from puncturing the air conditioning condenser and as it turned out it also prevented a lot of bugs , grasshoppers and the like from messing up the condenser and radiator.

Reactions: Capt Drake Drongo

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Check out this thread. I cleaned my AC condenser and it made a significant difference. Later on, I added the mesh that @supra129 linked to in post #3 of that thread to my lower grill opening (primarily for rock/gravel protection).

-Mike

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
If we could somehow make the front grill into a zapper!!

Get loads of bugs and some are so big actually see them as they come splat on windshield.

Then there are the ones that get caught under the black moulding in front of the hood.

The ones that get caught in the mesh/grill and some that get to radiator... would take forever to clean.

I do lightly rinse off with water spray downwards but afraid to do any hose setting higher in case get too much water in there or damage/bend the fins.

Any chance that adding the mesh would cause overheating or warranty issues?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Any chance that adding the mesh would cause overheating or warranty issues?
Unlikely. I may have seen my peak engine coolant temps go up maybe 5 degrees max in stop and go driving, but I installed my mesh at the same time as I installed an auxiliary transmission oil cooler. My guess is that the ATF cooler had a bigger impact on that number than the mesh. When moving, my coolant temps are about the same as they were before.

As to the warranty, if the van suffered a failure from overheating and they could prove the mesh inhibited the airflow to such a degree as to cause the overheating well then that wouldn’t be covered. Unlikely. My van is nearly ten years out of warranty, so a non-issue for me.

-Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts