Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

181 - 200 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
ordered 2 sets of blizzaks, so i should have them shortly. one set for my taco, and one set for my sienna. I went with 225/65-17 dm-v2 and will be mounting them on the rav4 steelies. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wait... You got a legit warning that one tire was now 20% below where it should be and continuing to loose pressure, and you say the system caused you a ton of needless stress? Ah, no.... Your drive thru the 'hood caused you stress. Your TPMS system helped to save your butt from the potential of ending up in REAL hot water in the next part of town.

But aside from that, I too love the TS-508. A great instrument for the asking price. The only possible issue is the nature of any walled garden. I'm hoping someone eventually offers a hack so that you can program any brand sensor and not just MX units.

And as long as your torque the nuts properly, I've had no more issues with metal valves than with rubber ones.
It ended up as slow leak from one of the metal stems. I was 1lb below the threshold, that triggered the TPMS light, and I added 3lbs with that chump 12v air compressor. From there I drove 50 minutes home. After 20 minutes of driving the TPMS light finally turned off. The TPMS system did not save me. I had a slow leak that I probably would have noticed the next morning without the TPMS drama. This just one of many TPMS light incidents I have had. Only one incident was something that you could say "saved" me from a possible ruined tire. Without the TPMS, I probably would have noticed a sluggish response while steering and replaced the tire with the spare. Something I have done before TPMS for decades and never destroyed a tire or rim.

As far as the metal stems. I agree most of the problems are due to over torqueing. I have had a TPMS sensor cracked when a new tire was mounted on the rim. A week later the TPMS sensor broke off and was loose inside the tire. When I had the sensor replaced the tech overthghtened all four stems. This lead to multiple stem leaks. I ended up replacing washers myself on all of the stems. I overtightened the first two which lead to replacing the stems again and again until I discovered that when I hand tightened a stem it was just fine. After learning to lightly tighten the stems the only stem leaks I had was do to two stem leaks from the metal stems themselves cracking. Since then I started using the rubber stems with no problems. I will avoid metal stems when ever possible.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have never had a TPMS light come on in any of my vehicles so equipped where there was actually a low tire. All my TPMS lights have been false alarms.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
And with a history of 5 vehicles owned in our household that are/were equipped with TPMS, the ONLY time I have ever had a light go on was when there were REAL problems that needed immediate attention. So I guess YMMV.

Oh, and buy yourself a quarter inch drive inch lbs clicking torque wrench and do the job right. Guesswork and ending up with over/undertightened hardware is so yesterday....

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have rims sitting in my garage ready with cloned TPMS sensors. The rims have been waiting for a deal on winter tires for a few weeks. I plan to go with 225/65R17 tires. Slightly taller and narrower. Narrower for better traction in the snow. Now that Michelin is offering a rebate the time has come. My original plan was to get a set of Michelin Latitude X-ICE XI2's. Now that I'm about to spend $600-700 dollars, I'm having second thoughts. We are retired and during a snowstorm we wait a day or two until the roads clear, but I have always worried about what we would do in a emergency. We live nine miles from the nearest town here in Michigan and the road to town drifts over until a good sun puts a ice crust over the snow. Now I'm considering Michelin CrossClimate SUV's or Michelin Defender T+H's. The CrossClimate's are Winter rated, a cross between All-Season and Winter tires and can be used all year and should last longer than the X-ICE's. I have the Defender T+H's on my other vehicle and they have been able to handle 1-2" of snow. I have not tried anything deeper. Whichever tires I get I plan to use them for the winter months (Nov-Feb) and use my second set of tires/rims the rest of the year, like I have been doing with my other vehicle. Now I have to decide which way to go. Right now I'm thinking that if I get the Defenders I can use them this winter and wear out the OEM (Firestone) tires next summer and decide if I need winter tires next year.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I have rims sitting in my garage ready with cloned TPMS sensors. The rims have been waiting for a deal on winter tires for a few weeks. I plan to go with 225/65R17 tires. Slightly taller and narrower. Narrower for better traction in the snow. Now that Michelin is offering a rebate the time has come. My original plan was to get a set of Michelin Latitude X-ICE XI2's. Now that I'm about to spend $600-700 dollars, I'm having second thoughts. We are retired and during a snowstorm we wait a day or two until the roads clear, but I have always worried about what we would do in a emergency. We live nine miles from the nearest town here in Michigan and the road to town drifts over until a good sun puts a ice crust over the snow. Now I'm considering Michelin CrossClimate SUV's or Michelin Defender T+H's. The CrossClimate's are Winter rated, a cross between All-Season and Winter tires and can be used all year and should last longer than the X-ICE's. I have the Defender T+H's on my other vehicle and they have been able to handle 1-2" of snow. I have not tried anything deeper. Whichever tires I get I plan to use them for the winter months (Nov-Feb) and use my second set of tires/rims the rest of the year, like I have been doing with my other vehicle. Now I have to decide which way to go. Right now I'm thinking that if I get the Defenders I can use them this winter and wear out the OEM (Firestone) tires next summer and decide if I need winter tires next year.
While the recent hybrid All-Season/Winter tires are seen to adequate for use in light snow, reviews of them usually include a disclaimer saying that they are no substitute for dedicated Winter tires when the snow is deep. And I don't think any of them have the ice gripping compound found on some dedicated Winter tires.

I'd want some darned good Winter tires if I lived 9 miles from civilization in Michigan - especially if I was a "Yooper".

Some of my older retired friends have stopped buying Winter tires and tell me that they stay home when there is snow on the roads. I retired 8 months ago, am about to turn 70 and there is no way I'm going to let any amount of snow keep us at home ... at least until we are much older.

If you are looking for a set of excellent Winter tires with exceptional ice performance, consider the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 like fibber2 and I have been using. The WS80 is being closed out by some sellers at reduced prices due to the introduction of the WS90. As of today Tire Rack is selling the WS80 in the OEM 235/60R17 size for only $118.06 each including shipping and road hazard warranty. A set of four is only $392.24 after the mail-in rebate. My second set of WS80's used on our 2014 Sienna will be worn out (down to 5/32 inch) by the end of this coming Winter. I'm tempted to buy another set for use beginning in Winter 2020 but it's questionable that we will still have our 2014 Sienna by then. The WS80 is a super tire. It will be interesting to see if the WS90 is an improvement.

·
Registered
55 Posts
While the recent hybrid All-Season/Winter tires are seen to adequate for use in light snow, reviews of them usually include a disclaimer saying that they are no substitute for dedicated Winter tires when the snow is deep. And I don't think any of them have the ice gripping compound found on some dedicated Winter tires.
I have read that disclaimer, but the reviews of CrossClimates have raved about the grip. From what I can find about them they have a semi-soft rubber for grip but also wear well having a 50,000 mi warranty. I find it hard to believe both claims. Plus it would be a expensive experiment to find out if both claims are true. I wish someone that has CrossClimate's would give their experience.

If you are looking for a set of excellent Winter tires with exceptional ice performance, consider the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 like fibber2 and I have been using.
I have read that the WS80's do have very good grip in snow. I assume better than the X-Ice XI2's. Then again I assume the XI2 will last longer and are better (quieter and handling) on dry pavement. That's why I was leaning towards the Michelin's. Have the WS80's been good on dry highways @ 80mph? I do a lot of highway driving.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I have read that disclaimer, but the reviews of CrossClimates have raved about the grip. From what I can find about them they have a semi-soft rubber for grip but also wear well having a 50,000 mi warranty. I find it hard to believe both claims. Plus it would be a expensive experiment to find out if both claims are true. I wish someone that has CrossClimate's would give their experience.
Tire Rack describes the CrossCimate as being "designed to be a one-tire solution for drivers in environments that experience all four seasons, but don't receive sufficient snowfall to require a dedicated winter tire" --> https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=CrossClimate+&partnum=25VR7CCPXL

I have read that the WS80's do have very good grip in snow. I assume better than the X-Ice XI2's. Then again I assume the XI2 will last longer and are better (quieter and handling) on dry pavement. That's why I was leaning towards the Michelin's. Have the WS80's been good on dry highways @ 80mph? I do a lot of highway driving.
Most of the reviews I've read that compared the WS80 to the X-Ice concluded exactly what you said - that the X-Ice is better on dry roads than the WS80 and that the WS80 is better on snow and ice than the X-Ice.

I wouldn't know how the WS80 is at 80 mph but it is fine at 70 mph.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tire Rack describes the CrossCimate as being "designed to be a one-tire solution for drivers in environments that experience all four seasons, but don't receive sufficient snowfall to require a dedicated winter tire" --> https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=CrossClimate+&partnum=25VR7CCPXL

Most of the reviews I've read that compared the WS80 to the X-Ice concluded exactly what you said - that the X-Ice is better on dry roads than the WS80 and that the WS80 is better on snow and ice than the X-Ice.

I wouldn't know how the WS80 is at 80 mph but it is fine at 70 mph.
Thanks Geezer1. I'm back to leaning to getting the X-Ice's. Most of my winter driving is on dry roads with some surprise instances of significant drifting. I have been driving smaller vehicles for a couple of decades. This Sienna is a larger heavier vehicle than I've used for some time. I talked to a fella and he mentioned that the larger, heavier Sienna will handle snow better than a Corolla. That got me thinking, if I survived so far with All Season tires on my Corolla. My larger/heavier Sienna should be just fine. That is the cheap skate in me. The Sienna may plow thru snow better but may not stop as well on ice/snow due the weight.

·
Registered
112 Posts
installed my 225/65-17 DM-V2's on my RAV4 steelies this morning, along with a fresh set of DM-V2's on my tacoma... I am ready for winter!

unsure of pressure, since i am running a non standard tire/wheel. anyone know what the tire pressure is for a fwd L w/ 17's is? i guess that should be my starting point.

·
Registered
112 Posts
after flipping through the sienna manual and the rav4 manual (standard tire size of 225/65-17) i am going to use 35psi as my starting point.

2019 rav4 ranges from 33 to 36 psi depending on style of tire and 2019 sienna is 35 or 36 psi depending on style of tire.

·
Super Moderator
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #192

I'd want some darned good Winter tires if I lived 9 miles from civilization in Michigan - especially if I was a "Yooper".

Some of my older retired friends have stopped buying Winter tires and tell me that they stay home when there is snow on the roads. I retired 8 months ago, am about to turn 70 and there is no way I'm going to let any amount of snow keep us at home ... at least until we are much older.

If you are looking for a set of excellent Winter tires with exceptional ice performance, consider the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 like fibber2 and I have been using. The WS80 is being closed out by some sellers at reduced prices due to the introduction of the WS90. As of today Tire Rack is selling the WS80 in the OEM 235/60R17 size for only $118.06 each including shipping and road hazard warranty. A set of four is only $392.24 after the mail-in rebate. My second set of WS80's used on our 2014 Sienna will be worn out (down to 5/32 inch) by the end of this coming Winter. I'm tempted to buy another set for use beginning in Winter 2020 but it's questionable that we will still have our 2014 Sienna by then. The WS80 is a super tire. It will be interesting to see if the WS90 is an improvement.
Timing of your entry, Geezer...... Last night I had a discussion with my wife about my 'plan' (subject to her approval, of course ;)) to help subsidize our eldest to make sure she has appropriate winter tires on her new 2018 RAV4 XLE AWD. I'll now get to initiate yet another "Building (her) Winter Tire Package" on the RAV board. I'll likely source some 5 spoke painted wheels alloys and center caps (much the same as you and I did) as were used on the 2014-2015 RAV, clone up some Autel MX sensors, and shop for winter tires.

And now you've gone and complicated my life by introducing the WS90......

TireRack does indeed have the WS80's on closeout pricing ($110 vs $161 plus a rebate card), but they also have the WS90's for only $138. An extra $109 for 4 net price delta.

Is the extra $109 worth it?

1) According to the Bridgestone site, the new model addresses the shortlife of the WS80, while also improving on the good traits. Of course, that's their marketing dept talking. I'd love to see independent testing. But in truth, few tires go 'backwards'. There's too much at stake.

2) Last time I bought winter tires on closeout (from TireBuyer - American Tire Distributors), I ended up with grandmother-level datecodes. They eventually made good on the issue, but not until after a wet road spinout caused me to actually LOOK at the codes and realize what they had dumped on us! That will NEVER happen to me again....

I'm leaning towards rolling the dice on the WS90's and just helping the kid to the tune of another c-note.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm with you on the date codes. I would avoid closeouts pretty much solely on the risk of getting old tires alone. Especially if they were going on a loved one's vehicle and not my personal driver..

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts

I'm leaning towards rolling the dice on the WS90's and just helping the kid to the tune of another c-note.
I am going to wait for the general public to review the WS90 before diving in myself. Tread block size on the WS90 are larger then all previous blizzak models. Also, the ws90 is substantially lighter (5lbs) then the DM-V2, and has a slightly shallower tread depth, so I went for DM-V2 this go around.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Timing of your entry, Geezer...... Last night I had a discussion with my wife about my 'plan' (subject to her approval, of course ;)) to help subsidize our eldest to make sure she has appropriate winter tires on her new 2018 RAV4 XLE AWD. I'll now get to initiate yet another "Building (her) Winter Tire Package" on the RAV board. I'll likely source some 5 spoke painted wheels alloys and center caps (much the same as you and I did) as were used on the 2014-2015 RAV, clone up some Autel MX sensors, and shop for winter tires.

TireRack does indeed have the WS80's on closeout pricing ($110 vs $161 plus a rebate card), but they also have the WS90's for only $138. An extra $109 for 4 net price delta.

Is the extra $109 worth it?

1) According to the Bridgestone site, the new model addresses the shortlife of the WS80, while also improving on the good traits. Of course, that's their marketing dept talking. I'd love to see independent testing. But in truth, few tires go 'backwards'. There's too much at stake.

2) Last time I bought winter tires on closeout (from TireBuyer - American Tire Distributors), I ended up with grandmother-level datecodes. They eventually made good on the issue, but not until after a wet road spinout caused me to actually LOOK at the codes and realize what they had dumped on us! That will NEVER happen to me again....

Boy fibber2, I wish I read your post before I ordered WS80's from TireRack I might have ordered the WS90's. Geezer1 had me thinking about the WS80's so I spend a lot of time yesterday reading/watching review's about winter tires. I last night I finally made a decision to get the WS80's. Then last night I spent a poor night's sleep deciding which tire size to get. 235/60r17 or 225/65r17? I'm thinking of getting a RAV4 hybrid or possabily the new TJ Crusier in the next year or two. The 225/65r17's should be the correct size for the future vehicle. I got up early this morning, since I could not sleep, and the first thing I do every morning is check SlickDeals. I see that SlickDeals has the TireRack WS80 clearance posted. Now I know I better decide quick before TireRack sells out. I bought the 225/65r17's Blizzak WS80 for $110.60 x 4 = $443.37 - $80 rebate - 3% rakuten rebate($13.30) = $350.07 for four tires. I think all my worries are over. Now I have to wait and read the date codes. You said TireBuyer "eventually made good". What did they do? Refund some money or replace the tires?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Now I have to wait and read the date codes.
Verify the date codes date codes before you purchase tires. I did this a few weeks ago when I bought three tires for my trailer. I told the sales guy that I would accept only tires manufactured in this calendar year and it turned out that the oldest ones he had in the size/model I was buying were made in (IIRC) April, 2019.

I doubt that a high volume company like Tire Rack is going to have stale tires in its inventory. That's more common with "mom & pop" tire stores. For example, I think it was sometime in 2016 that I noticed the tire sidewalls on his (edit: my father's) Buick were cracking. The sales receipt said he bought the tires in around 2004 ... but the tires didn't have date codes on the sidewalls which meant that the tires were manufactured in the 1990's before date codes were required. Researching the tire model on the Internet showed that the tires were made in around 1997 which meant that the tires were already about seven years old when he bought them from a tire dealer in a rural community.

Out of habit, I verified the date code before purchasing a tire for the Sienna a couple of months ago on an emergency basis from a tire dealer about 150 miles from from home although I would have accepted almost any tire just to get back on the road and since I will soon be discarding it anyway. True to form for a small town tire dealer, the date code is "3917" - the 39th week of 2017 ... nearly 2 years old.

Edit: redmed, if you do get the WS80's, I guarantee that you will be amazed ... and that is a wonderful price.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Geezer1, Thanks for the nudge to the WS80's. I have had some crap tires but never Michelin's. So I have to come up with good reason's to stray from Michelin. What convinced me was almost every winter tire review compared tires to WS80's. When something is being used as a reference it is usually the best or close to it. But what really swayed me was multiple comments about the X-Ice sidewalls cracking early. I plan to only use the Sienna in Winter on snow or ice covered roads. My other vehicle with all seasons will be the primary until the WS80's come off. So these winter tires may last for some years and I do not want premature cracking.

·
Super Moderator
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Long story short:

I purchased 4 Conti Extreme Winters from TireBuyer in early 2016 for my kid's CR-V and had them drop-shipped to a shop. I sent her over there with new take-off rims and TPMS and they were assembled and put on the car. I never looked at them. I did do future rotations and TPMS resets, but other than making sure they were damage-free each time, never looked any deeper.

Fast forward to Nov 2018, and she has a spin-out in the rain. I took the car for a ride and felt that it was very 'twitchy'. Tread depth was still at near 8/32", but something was very wrong. Glanced at the date code. Some week in 2010. 2010??? Yep, nearly 9 year old rubber sold 6 years after manufacturing!

But to their credit, the Customer Rep was quick to take ownership of the problem. It is generally against their policy to sell anything over 24 months old, but 'things can happen' on discontinued & closeouts when managers sweep the dark corners of the warehouses. They gave a generous discount on the next set of tires along with a written apology.

So beware. I'm sure this type of thing happens with every company. And while most tire manufacturers don't state a 'shelf' or 'usage' lifetime, the general industry standard is to be wary of non-visual changes in rubber characteristics at the 10 year mark.

·
Super Moderator
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Going in a slightly different directions (possibly)... At the time I replaced her Conti's with a set of General Altimax Arctic 12. Not quite the ice tire that the WS80 is, but most tests place it in the upper quarter as a strong all-around performer.

With my corporate benefits discount and a Visa card rebate, these would come down to $335. That's pretty attractive....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Going in a slightly different directions (possibly)... At the time I replaced her Conti's with a set of General Altimax Arctic 12. Not quite the ice tire that the WS80 is, but most tests place it in the upper quarter as a strong all-around performer.

With my corporate benefits discount and a Visa card rebate, these would come down to $335. That's pretty attractive....
The Generals Altimax Artics wear much faster then the Blizzaks. I would need a new set of fronts every season when I had my Rio and Fit.

181 - 200 of 244 Posts