Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

221 - 240 of 244 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #221 (Edited)
I see one problem immediately. You cannot program a sensor that is in a tire under pressure. If you could, then any hacker could walk up to a vehicle (with probably any brand of programmable sensor) and mess with them. Someone doesn't like you? They could wipe out your sensor's data at will.

For security, the sensor ambient must be at under 10 psi of pressure. Ideally at or closer to ZERO. I really question whether or not you ever successfully programmed those sensors on your first round a few years back. The Pad has limited capabilities, and you might not have known that it didn't take.

I won't know for sure if I got my kid's sensors right either until we get into December, but I'll post the results when we put them on her RAV4. Fingers crossed that my results are better than what you are going thru.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I see one problem immediately. You cannot program a sensor that is in a tire under pressure. If you could, then any hacker could walk up to a vehicle (with probably any brand of programmable sensor) and mess with them. Someone doesn't like you? They could wipe out your sensor's data at will.
i literally LOL'd at that "hacker" comment... Thanks, you made my day! :)

·
Super Moderator
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
i literally LOL'd at that "hacker" comment... Thanks, you made my day!
If it seems funny to you, then you haven't been paying attention to some of the serious concerns raises in the connected-car and autonomous vehicle studies at the professional SAE level. TPMS is coded but not encrypted, and is one of the first vulnerability points mentioned in several studies. The more integrated the vehicle becomes, the easier it is to gain entry.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree. I wouldn't wish the TPMS problems I have had with my 2010 vehicle on my second worst enemy. If all I had to do was walk up to a tire with mt TS-508 and reprogram it WOW.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I decided to go with a TireRack winter pairing for my new-to-me 2018 van. The pictured rims are Rial Luccas ($135), with 4 Latitude X-Ices, and 4 TRW TPMS sensors, all installed by TireRack. This isn't the least expensive way to go, at about $300 per corner, but I only had to order, go to the warehouse to pick them up (shipping discount!), and bolt them on. (Well, and program the TPMS sensors, which would have been simple, except that TireRack made a typo in one of the IDs). So far, the Latitudes seem quiet.

Sienna winter wheels.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Took the Sienna out for it's first outing with the WS80's. I was wondering if my TPMS cloning and bubble balance was good. Everything seems OK. Having everything work correctly the first time is a rare occurrence.

·
Registered
65 Posts
swapped my winters this week, just in time for the first snowfall here in Toronto
Earlier this year I had my tire shop install Autel TPMS sensors on my summer wheels and cloned the ID #'s to the OEM sensors on my OEM 17's I'm using for winter - no issues swapping over now, no need to reprogram, very happy!

·
Registered
55 Posts
swapped my winters this week, just in time for the first snowfall here in Toronto
Earlier this year I had my tire shop install Autel TPMS sensors on my summer wheels and cloned the ID #'s to the OEM sensors on my OEM 17's I'm using for winter - no issues swapping over now, no need to reprogram, very happy!
I also used Autel TPMS sensors on my Sienna and the Sienna never knew the difference.
Last year I used Autel sensors on my 2010 Suzuki Kizashi and the Kizashi accepted them but has a flashing TPMS light. Other wise everything works cruise control & traction control so I put a piece of black tape over the flashing light. I think one of the sensors is sending info but not completely simpatico with what is expected.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also used Autel TPMS sensors on my Sienna and the Sienna never knew the difference.
Last year I used Autel sensors on my 2010 Suzuki Kizashi and the Kizashi accepted them but has a flashing TPMS light. Other wise everything works cruise control & traction control so I put a piece of black tape over the flashing light. I think one of the sensors is sending info but not completely simpatico with what is expected.
I regret not going the route of cloning the sensors from the beginning
I spent money on toyota sensors and the ATEQ Quickset for my summer set in 2018 only to have 2 sensors crap out and not get it to work. I just ignored the light on the dash, and just wanted it fixed when the time came to put my summers on this year

I'm also running WS80's, am very happy with them as well

·
Registered
55 Posts
Took the Sienna on a hard packed/icy road yesterday and turned the corner without any hint of slippage. I looked in the rear view mirror at the 4wd pickup behind me and it was fishtailing pretty bad. Seems the WS80's are providing a good grip on the ice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the WS-80's on reserve with my regular sales guy at Tirerack, but not paid for yet. Hmmmmm...... what to do...... what to do.....

They are predicting a nasty winter for the NE. Mother Nature making up for the woosey winter we had last year?
I just today bought Nokian Nordman 7 255/55/18” for my 2015 LT . I have installed Journeys 3 1/2 “ lift prior.
Went without studs. I previously had Nokian studded on AWD Astro. I can only hope these are as good if not better.
snow at Killington yesterday not good with Michelin Run Flats. Only drove home from garage, so I don’t know yet

·
Super Moderator
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #232 (Edited)
Last night I started the switch-over to winter gear on the 4 vehicles in the household. I was traveling last week, so I'm a bit behind.

I used my Autel TS-508 to ping and log the sensors on my Subaru winter set, and had real issues with one of the sensors. That set has Schrader OEM Subaru units, and they have always been reluctant to wake up on first use of the season. But eventually it responded, the Autel uploaded the new set, ran diagnostics, and extinguished the light immediately. Nice. This 'old' winter tire package is now down to around 7-8 / 32", so we are into the final season with the soft rubber outer layer.

I can't wait to see how the newly built set works out on my kid's 2018 RAV4. Spanking new Bridgestone WS90 rubber, cloned Autel sensors and another set of replica Toyota wheels.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used my Autel TS-508 to ping and log the sensors on my Subaru winter set, and had real issues with one of the sensors.
Yeah I don't leave home without my TS-508. It's told me a couple times which tire was low and what the psi is. I hope the next vehicle I get will display each tires psi on the dash.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My winter build is finally ready, just waiting for the first snowstorm to put them on. I tested the set last weekend, seems to drive ok with no leaks. WS80 in regular Sienna sizes, 235/60/17. Paid just a little over 500 before the 80 rebate, which just about covers the mount and balance at the local tire shop. Wheels were bought from CL locally here in NJ for $100. They were from a RAV4. They were in rough shape with many rust spots I cleaned them up the best I can - following youtube's Chrisfix instructions - but the rust spots were not easy to take out. Didn't have an angle grinder in my tool chest, used a drill with a wire brush, but the rust spots were stubborn. I primed and painted them in black. Looks okay from a distance. Bought knock off TPMS sensors from ebay for about 40 bucks and another 10 bucks for the kit. These sensors had no IDs on them. Needed to borrow an Autel sensor to read the IDs. Spend another 100 bucks for the ATEQ quickset tool, which was surprisingly easy to program. Once I install the winter set I will hook up the ATEQ and enter the wheel ids, hopefully it goes smoothly.

Will need to shop for summer tires after this winter. The Cooper CS5 is done, waiting for tire deals this spring. Looking to replace the OEM TPMS sensors at that time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Did a ride upstate today, so I just got back from driving 75 miles in mixed conditions, from 4" snow to sleet/ice mix. the 225/65-17 DMV2 absolutely crushed it! it handled decently, and was very stable, although a little pushy when driven aggressively, which is to be expected for a whale of a vehicle. One thing for sure, braking traction was ridiculously good. I really had to hammer the brakes to get the ABS to engage.

I still need to some more testing, and will be driving about 150 miles in the thick of tomorrow's storm. Overall, would definitely do the same setup again. #thumbsup

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did a ride upstate today, so I just got back from driving 75 miles in mixed conditions, from 4" snow to sleet/ice mix. the 225/65-17 DMV2 absolutely crushed it! it handled decently, and was very stable, although a little pushy when driven aggressively, which is to be expected for a whale of a vehicle. One thing for sure, braking traction was ridiculously good. I really had to hammer the brakes to get the ABS to engage.

I still need to some more testing, and will be driving about 150 miles in the thick of tomorrow's storm. Overall, would definitely do the same setup again. #thumbsup
This is with a FWD Sienna?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I loaded the IDs from the winter set on the PC and linked it to the ATEQ. Then I took the ATEQ to the van and the hit the winter button to upload the new IDs but the light is still on. Does it take a while to update? When I put my winter set wheels on I notice the TPMS light did NOT come on right away. But after a while the TPMS light eventually did come on.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I loaded the IDs from the winter set on the PC and linked it to the ATEQ. Then I took the ATEQ to the van and the hit the winter button to upload the new IDs but the light is still on. Does it take a while to update? When I put my winter set wheels on I notice the TPMS light did NOT come on right away. But after a while the TPMS light eventually did come on.
Drive your Sienna a few blocks to "wake up" the sensors in your winter wheels so that they start transmitting. It takes driving only a couple of blocks after I do the changeover.

Edit: I should have asked if the little diode light on the Quickset indicated that the upload to the Sienna ECM was successful.

·
Registered
53 Posts
TPMS light is still on. I put a Autel TS401 scanner to scan the ID, psi, temp and MHZ and for whatever reason its showing 433MHZ at all four wheels. Is there a way to change it back to 315mhz? I have been taking pictures of the ids through out the process and I have pics from a week ago- right after the tires were mounted and balanced- which shows the same sensors transmitting at 315mhz. Why, and how, did it change to 433mhz. They are after market sensors bought from sae-auto on ebay for 40 bucks. They look like OEM but without any branding or ID labels. That's why I bought the 401 to scan for the IDs. It looks like the ATEQ process of uploading the winter IDs thru the OBD worked.

221 - 240 of 244 Posts