Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

241 - 255 of 255 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
I was getting something similar to what you were seeing, and it was driving my crazy! Then I figured it out.....

I have both an Autel TS408 (successor to your TS401) and a TS508. I used the TS408 on all my cars until I bought the TS508. Haven't used the TS408 since, but I DID do a software update on both tools this summer.

I did notice that with the update the TS508 now shows both an option for 315 and 433 mhz. If you select Sienna 2006-2019, 315mhz, it works fine.

So, now on to the TS408 that I used for over a year successfully prior to buying the 508. It NO LONGER even lists a 315 option for the Sienna and does not work at all!!!!

Pilot error on my part. The old software was North America only. The new software is GLOBAL. But in the "Settings" section you have the option of your market. Select America, and you get both the 315 & 433 options. Select Europe, and you only get 433! Once I changed that on the TS408, everything worked fine.

So step one is to be sure you have your tool set to America, and properly select the 315mhz option.

Did you program those sensors yourself? Maybe you got it wrong by using a tool that was not set for USA vans?

·
Registered
888 Posts
If fibber's software fix doesn't work, it would be helpful and interesting to know the error codes causing the TPMS light. This wanders from the thread topic, but "jumpering" TC to CG will cause the TPMS ECU to flash its error codes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Fifth time is the charm. I got home from work and tried the ATEQ quickset again. I followed the ATEQ instructions to a T and finally the light is off. Saved the settings from the PC to the quickset and followed the software instructions. Turn the car to ON, give it 5 seconds and do not start the car, then connect the ATEQ to the OBD connector and select either winter or summer until green light is solid. After a few seconds the light went off. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
I think the 433mhz thing was a red herring and definitely NOT real. A software issue with the Autel tool, not unlike what I was seeing when I selected the wrong region.

The ATEQ has also faulted on me occasionally over the years, particularly on sensors that arrived in 'deep sleep' mode. I once gave up totally on a Winter set bought from TireRack and needed a local dealers help to get it right the very first time. The ATEQ has worked seemlessly on that package ever since. It happens.... Glad you got it right in the end.

Unfortunately, while I believe in TPMS as a potential lifesaver, the implementation was so poor that I understand the backlash from many out there.

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Bridgestone Blizzak WS-90.... LOVE LOVE LOVE !!!

We've had them on my kid's 2018 RAV4 for a few weeks now, and had the chance to drive in moderate temp dry & wet, cold dry, a few inches of snow, and today in truly lousy icing rain, sleet and small hail. Assuming they do OK in deep powder, I'm going to declare these as my new favorite every condition winter tire.

By comparison, right now we have Continental ExtremeWinters on the Subi, General Altimax Arctic 12 on the CR-V and Blizzak WS-80's on the Sienna.

·
Registered
71 Posts

We've had them on my kid's 2018 RAV4 for a few weeks now, and had the chance to drive in moderate temp dry & wet, cold dry, a few inches of snow, and today in truly lousy icing rain, sleet and small hail. Assuming they do OK in deep powder, I'm going to declare these as my new favorite every condition winter tire.

By comparison, right now we have Continental ExtremeWinters on the Subi, General Altimax Arctic 12 on the CR-V and Blizzak WS-80's on the Sienna.
Nice! Been seeing good reviews on them so far

The WS-90s appear to have less sipes, but a more directional tread pattern while still chunky enough to dig into the deeper snow. Since the roads in my area get cleaned quickly, when the time comes to replace my WS-80s I might consider the WS-90s for sure as they seem to be a much more improved "all-rounder"

·
Registered
68 Posts

So you prefer the WS-90's over the WS-80's?

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
My perception comparing two different vehicles with different levels of tire wear and my memory of what I liked and didn't like when the WS-80's were new..... Is it fair to say that yes, I think the wider footprint of the WS-90 promotes better dry handling and braking, while giving up nothing in bad weather thanks to a slightly different tread block arrangement? Hardly scientific, but I think the newer product is worth the slightly higher cost.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My perception comparing two different vehicles with different levels of tire wear and my memory of what I liked and didn't like when the WS-80's were new..... Is it fair to say that yes, I think the wider footprint of the WS-90 promotes better dry handling and braking, while giving up nothing in bad weather thanks to a slightly different tread block arrangement? Hardly scientific, but I think the newer product is worth the slightly higher cost.
Good to know. My next winter tire purchase will be WS90's. I took my FWD Sienna out today for a 140 mile drive on snow covered roads today and the WS80's were great. I traveled on interstate highways and local roads. Some of the local roads had significant snow drifting. Normally I would have slowed down to maybe 25mph and white knuckled thru the drifting with all-season tires. After passing thru a few drifts with the WS80's I found myself relaxing and trusting the grip more than I expected. Why did I go all these years without winter tires?

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
It was a relatively mild winter, but on the few snow and/or ice days we had (and I had a chance to take my kids car for a spin...), I have to say that the new Bridgestone WS90 tires are excellent!! Worth the money.

Oh, interesting issue I had with the Autel TS508. I tried several times to upload the 'summer' wheel set to the TPMS system on the Sienna, but the tool just wouldn't talk to the OBD port. I hooked the tool to my laptop, and there was a software update waiting. Told it to go ahead and update, then tried again. Worked like a charm. Why did the old software quit? No idea....

Lastly, I made clone sensors for my kid's WS90 wheel/tire package last Fall using Autel MX1 multi-freq sensor. Changed the winter for summer set, and never had to touch the OBD port! Nice....

Reactions: pjksr02

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Oh, because someone on another thread asked about 17" Sienna LE trim wheels:

Toyota Sienna Wheel Silver Painted #4261108080 / 4261108070
Make/Model/Year:

Toyota Sienna 2011-2020
Material: Aluminum
Style: 5 Spoke
Finish: Powder Coat Silver
Size: 17x7 Inch
Hub: 60.1 mm
Lugs: 5
Bolt Pattern: 4.5 Inch
Offset: 35 mm

·
Registered
3 Posts
2019 Sienna LE Tire Size Downgrade to 215/65 R16 Safe?

Any from the community who tried downgrading OEM tire specs of 2019 Sienna LE (OEM: 235/60 R17) to 215/65 R16? Is it safe to do this? Will the smaller rims not contact the 2019 sienna brake caliper?

Considering to use the lower sizes for winter season as these were previously installed on my 2006 sienna ce that got traded in. However, the winter thread is still good and its on OEM rims with TPMS, hence, considering on re-using them for winter on the 2019 Sienna.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2016 Sienna and was a previous owner of a 2004 Sienna. I too had 16 inch snow tires on 16" wheels left over. 16 inch wheels will absolutely not fit on the newer, (2011 - Present), Siennas. Toyota installed a larger diameter brake rotor on the front wheels. So the brake caliper was moved outboard. I tried to install my 16 inch wheels and they aren't even close to fitting. So I had to buy new wheels and snow tires for my 2016. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The steel wheels that come standard on a 2019 RAV4 are a perfect fit for the Sienna. However older RAV4 wheels are not the same as the 2019 RAV4 wheels. So you would have to check to see if older RAV4 wheels fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2016 Sienna and was a previous owner of a 2004 Sienna. I too had 16 inch snow tires on 16" wheels left over. 16 inch wheels will absolutely not fit on the newer, (2011 - Present), Siennas. Toyota installed a larger diameter brake rotor on the front wheels. So the brake caliper was moved outboard. I tried to install my 16 inch wheels and they aren't even close to fitting. So I had to buy new wheels and snow tires for my 2016. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The steel wheels that come standard on a 2019 RAV4 are a perfect fit for the Sienna. However older RAV4 wheels are not the same as the 2019 RAV4 wheels. So you would have to check to see if older RAV4 wheels fit.
Thanks JMicket. That helped a lot. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
Mustang GT 500. 2011
2 Posts
nice thread!
i'm looking at running the WS80's on my OEM 17's this winter, and look for a set of 20's over the winter to run for the summer

241 - 255 of 255 Posts