Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

261 - 264 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I will also have to look into the ATEQ tool you and others have mentioned. I do wish the Sienna's had an indirect monitoring system like my wife's CR-V. It makes things simpler, but I guess there are pros and cons with that too.
Even better, look for a deal on the Autel TS508 like fibber recently bought - much better than the crude ATEQ Quickset. He found the TS508 at a similar or lower price.

Toyota is finally equipping recent models with automatic programming of TPMS and instrument cluster displays of all pressures.

Maybe the indirect pressure sensing systems have improved. In the past, some couldn't handle minor mismatches in rotation rates unless all four tires were replaced at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
My primary mission in life is to stay a half step ahead of that guy Geezer. It's a tough job, but I do try.... ;-)

I put WS-90's on my daughter's 2018 RAV4. She bought a condo this past summer up on a nasty hill, so I'm doubly glad that she has great winter rubber on her little car. So far, despite the harsh winter we've had in the NE, she reports no issues with getting up or down. No drama is a good thing in this father's eyes!

While the ATEQ served me well for the best part of 10 years, THIS is the BOMB:

Once you get your paws on this, you'll never look back. Even if all you do is buy the tool for $120, a set of Autel MX1 sensors (around $100) and use it once to make up a set of clones, you are miles ahead.

I'm a devoted fan of Direct Sensing TPMS. Second generation indirect systems (Honda CR-V 2014 and up, for example) can be a picky PITA when you change to tires that were not part of the development qualification program. The systems use the stability control with some pretty complex algorithms to monitor how sharply the body responds to steering inputs to determine if one or all have low pressure. Tires with different belts, changes in aspect ratio, etc., can really mess with their accuracy. I have a friend with a Mazda that on anything other than OEM Spec tires will constantly false. Honda had a lot of issues too for the first year or two.

·
Registered
2017 SE
11 Posts
Good to hear about the WS-90's doing the job for your daughter! I have two college-age daughters and you do worry about their safety when driving for sure!

Thanks for sharing the info and link on the Autel diagnostic tool. That looks like a nifty unit and not a bad price to have that information at your fingertips when you need it, especially when owning multiple cars with sensors! I'll definitely have to pick one up.

So far so good with the CR-V and its indirect sensing, but it's probably because the wheels and tires are OEM.

261 - 264 of 264 Posts