Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

41 - 60 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well lexusminivan doesn't say WHEN he thought the Blizzaks were sloppy. I just had my Element mounted up a few weeks ago with WS80. It was warm (65F) and dry here for awhile (I mounted early to avoid the rush) and they were definitely sloppy. As the temp has dropped (now 38F) they have gotten way better but still I could see someone calling them sloppy. In the end all I care about is I don't crash coming down my driveway. My last pair of Blizzaks were great. Run up and down the local steep canyons to the ski resorts with confidence and comfort. Just mounted DM-V2 on our Sienna. Blizzaks all the way for us and every skier we know locally.
I thought the WS80s were sloppy on dry, wet, warm and cold...Turns out I bought them again for the Sienna. Can only speak to the dry driving on the minivan but they dont really feel much different than the OEM tires, then again we dont drive the minivan aggressively like I did the previous car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah i just finally sold that SC300 a few weeks ago, had it about 16 years. Great car. Anyway, I still prefer the X-ICE over WS80 but I couldnt find them in the size I went with for my winter package (215/65/17) on my '17 Sienna so ended up with WS80 after all...no snow or ice yet so cant comment any further on how they are in this size for the sienna.

215/65/17? I thought 225/65/17 was the -1 size for the 17's on the Sienna. Although, I did start at 235/50/19

·
Super Moderator
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
You will most definitely feel a handling difference when going to winter tires:

1) Even if you go with the same wheel/tire size, you find that the tread width is often narrower. On a 235 section width, the Blizzak WS-80 tread is almost a full inch narrower than the Goodyear Eagle RSA OEM all season tire.

2) New Blizzaks have 11-12/32" of very open tread blocks. Compare that to the almost closed off tread blocks on the Eagles that are now down to below 5/32". Huge difference in tread squirm. And any new tire feels 'greasy' for the first 500 miles as the mold release agents in the rubber burn off.

3) I did go -1 (235/55-R18 ==> 235/60-R17), so I have more sidewall flex.

4) And speaking of sidewall flex and tread rigidity, the Eagles are "V" rated tires. The Blizzaks are "T".

It's a good excuse to slow down a bit and not take those corners on two wheels!

·
Super Moderator
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Last weekend we put the new tires to their first test. Coming thru the Catskill mountains of NY on the older section of Rt-17 (to be I-86 when it all gets upgraded) we ran into heavy sleet for about 25 miles. There were a few minor accidents, but I felt the van handled extremely well. I was very happy to not be driving on the Eagles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just got mine mounted today. I went with the Blizzak WS-80's in 225/65/17. They're mounted on 17x7" 5Zigen RSX-6 wheels. My wife says they're kinda ricey, but they were only $150 for the set of 4. I double checked firmer and ET42 was just fine.

·
Super Moderator
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
215/65/17? I thought 225/65/17 was the -1 size for the 17's on the Sienna. Although, I did start at 235/50/19
This is from the Miata Garage page. Sizes from the factory are SE: 235/50-19, Limited & AWD: 235/55-18, XLE/LE/L: 235/60-17.
These sizes keep the circumference delta within +/-0.3%. Other sizes take you a little further away from stock calibrations (gearing & speedo).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Of course, % variations depends on where you start! I'm coming from 18", so that's my Zero point. If you begin with 17" wheels as your bases (like 90% of Sienna production?), then the deviation looks a bit different. Is there an electronic fudge to the speedometer to account for the difference? Probably not...

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Of course, % variations depends on where you start! I'm coming from 18", so that's my Zero point. If you begin with 17" wheels as your bases (like 90% of Sienna production?), then the deviation looks a bit different. Is there an electronic fudge to the speedometer to account for the difference? Probably not...

I'm ok with my deviation, the tires were cheaper than the 235/60/17's and with the offset, I didn't want to risk any chance of rubbing.

I also run stretched tires on my lowered Jetta that would irritate you speedo guys. I run 205/45/17's on my 8.5" fronts and 215/45/17's on my 9.5" rears. Stock size is 225/45/17's for 7-8" wide wheels.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I got Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 235/60R18 put on. Stock for me is 235/55R18. No rubbing, running great. I got $40 snow cables and tensioners off amazon:

Over the weekend I threw them on. They sucked pretty bad to put on; I'd recommend a better model if you think you'll actually use them. I hope to never put them on again but locally often we're required to carry them to head up our ski canyons in the winter. I drove around the block and they seemed fine for short term slow driving use. Seemed like they might chew up my Blizzaks tread though as the cables set in deep to some of the groves but if I have those groves left you don't need cables.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I got Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 235/60R18 put on. Stock for me is 235/55R18. No rubbing, running great. I got $40 snow cables and tensioners off amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G7BQDS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Over the weekend I threw them on. They sucked pretty bad to put on; I'd recommend a better model if you think you'll actually use them. I hope to never put them on again but locally often we're required to carry them to head up our ski canyons in the winter. I drove around the block and they seemed fine for short term slow driving use. Seemed like they might chew up my Blizzaks tread though as the cables set in deep to some of the groves but if I have those groves left you don't need cables.

if I needed those cables to get around, I would move. Too cold and too much snow for me. lol

·
Super Moderator
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Winter tire package Bill of Materials for making a Limited look like an LE:

1) 4 new replacement grade Toyota Sienna 2011-2016 clone alloy wheels 17”x7” #69584 / 42611-08080 @ $127 each (incl tax & shipping) = $508
2) 4 Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 tires, 235/60-17 (102T) @ $120 each + shipping = $554 total, minus a $70 Bridgestone rebate card = $484
3) 4 TPMS sensors, Toyota/TRW system, 42607-0C070, $8 each = $32
4) 4 TPMS install kits, Standard Motor Products TPM1110K4 (4 pack, incl shipping) = $12
5) 4 Center caps 62mm, (OK quality knockoffs on Amazon) = $9
6) Assembly & balance at local tire store = $65
Total = $1,110

The "LE-ified" Limited captured live at a nice doughnut & breakfast spot outside of Rochester, NY around Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This was the thread that originally drew me to this board a few months ago as I was looking for winter tire setup information for the 2017 SE we have on order. We still don't have the van but there is a set of winter tires and wheels waiting in the garage for it. I followed the 'recipe' laid out here by fibber2 except I bought Michelin Xi2's and the TPMS kits through Costco and had them do the mount and balance. Total cost was just over $1500CAD. Worth it for the improved winter handling though.

·
Super Moderator
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I took the snows off on April 6th, just prior to leaving on our annual Spring 1300 mile jaunt South to visit family.

Duration on the new package: November 20 thru April 6 - approx 4.5 months, approximately 6k miles.

Rear tread depth was pretty uniform across the face: 11/32 (originally 12/32)
Fronts show a little more variability, between 9 to 10 / 32.

I was really impressed with the Blizzak WS80's. Nice ride, respectable dry/wet handling, excellent cold & snow performance. Very good overall for a winter tire.

We drove mostly dry roads last week with the OEM Goodyear Eagles back on (with about 4/32 remaining - time for tire shopping!). The handling improvement was evident, but so was the harshness of the larger 18" rims and reduced sidewall. I can't imagine what 'boy racer' 20" would feel like.

TPMS re-registering was the typical ATEQ experience. It could/should be easier, but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Probably the most through, on topic, relevant, and useful thread I have ever laid my eyes on.

I have a 2016 XLE AWD that I will be outfitting for next winter. Looking at X-Ice as the Twin Cites does not get epic snow and will be used on 1-6" inches of fresh stuff if not plowed very infrequently.

I have DV-M1s on my 2014 CR-V and I have been very happy with them.

I still have to figure out how to deal with TPMS, are there any down sides like performance/safety systems not behaving normally with the TPMS light on? We are super anal about watching our tires so I am not really concerned about not having them.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I still have to figure out how to deal with TPMS, are there any down sides like performance/safety systems not behaving normally with the TPMS light on? We are super anal about watching our tires so I am not really concerned about not having them.
There is no downside to not having sensors except having to ignore the warning light in the instrument cluster and having to monitor tire pressures more closely.

I'm fairly obsessive about monitoring tire pressures - enough that people I work with kid me about adjusting tire pressures in the company parking lot when the outside temperature drops significantly during the day. That kind of obsessiveness didn't help in the situation I had last year where I apparently picked up a nail on one of the Sienna's rear tires as we left Abilene, Kansas for what had been planned to be a non-stop 150 mile drive home. I shouldn't have taken the "back way" out of Mr. K's Farmhouse Restaurant!

Probably because it was rear tire, the driving characteristics of the van had not noticeably changed by the time the TPMS warning light came on about half way home while I was going the 75 mph speed limit. Maybe we would have made it home OK. Maybe not.

As Fibber pointed out, TPM sensors can be had on the cheap these days and that $150 ATEQ Quickset programming tool we keep mentioning is a snap to use. The Quickset paid for itself the first day I used it.

·
Super Moderator
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Echoing Geezer's comment, I became a firm advocate for sensors when my wife sliced a tire on debris on the interstate and didn't realize the extent of the damage until the light came on. That bit of advance warning gave her time to get to the shoulder way before the tire was flat. That saved the rim, and maybe considerably more!

41 - 60 of 216 Posts