Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha! Due to company downsize, I’m forced to relocate to Los Angeles from Hawaii. Company will ship a vehicle and as our 2004 Sienna is not used much(kids are older so we use wife’s Honda Fit more), I thought I’d ship that. Probably won’t use it much as I’m planning to bus to work most of the time. Anyway just wondering if CA smog could be a problem. Sienna is in pretty good shape I think. No leaks no engine lights. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2018 Sienna LE
890 Posts
It should be fine. As far as I know, most US vehicles are compliant across all 50 states.

·
Registered
188 Posts
lol.....bus to work or train to work is not that good out here in socal or san francisco.. there is widespred problems of homeless, drug addicts or mental problems making the bus and trains their house and basically you got to have a strong personally to ride the bus or no choice financially......its a crap shoot...
just YouTube or google the subject and you will see plenty....granted that most commuter lines or ok...but you have to be ready... and with corona virus...I wouldn't...

I would think Hawaii would have stronger smog rules or same as California.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm not sure if it will show for sure, but you can try putting the VIN here:

This gives you the original spec sheet. I know for some models, it will say "50 state emissions" under the optional equipment section. If it says that, you should be good. If it doesn't, you might still be good, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Main problem right now is COVID. As long as work isn't very far from home your plan is doable, especially if a bike is an option.

I agree should be fine with smog. Do your registration within 30 days I believe or there's a penalty...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice! I feel lots better now. Hawaii doesn’t have a smog check, just a yearly “safety” check. Never had an emissions check done during these “safety” checks. Thanks again.

·
Registered
328 Posts
CA and MA have identical smog checks, which are usually more strict than the rest of the Country. I was under the impression that the manufacturers have integrated MA/CA emissions equipment into their whole line of vehicles to make them 50-state legal, depending on specific model/year. However, that said, in MA, you can drive anything which meets factory specifications. They test based on the VIN and the computer sets the limits of emissions. They (inspection stations) also cheat by lobbying State lawmakers to allow them to only run the actual smog check on a vehicle with engine codes. From what I understand, every State which requires "emissions" checks has a first-stage test that there has to be no codes, actual or pending, and you can only have 1 check status as "Not Ready." CA requires ALL tests be complete without codes (no 'one test not ready exception').

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: my sienna passed but in a convoluted way.
-sienna arrived in LA
-go to Costco to fill up
-notice that gas cap tightening with 3 or more “clicks”.
-about a week later, check engine light illuminates.
-I figure it’s the gas filler cap.Toyota dealer nearby so get cap for 2004 Toyota. He says “is this it”. Looks like it so I say Yes.
-stop by autozone, plug in obd, indeed it’s gas cap.
-2 weeks go by, light still on.
-call smog check shops for advice. One says bring it in, he’ll check, no charge. So I do that, he plugs in the sienna, now not just the gas cap, but the O2 sensor, cat converter are problematic. One other thing too but I forget what it was. He reset the light but told me unless the issues are fixed, it would not pass the smog check. He recommends taking to diagnostic shop, pay $150-160 to get issues solved. I was shocked.
-I call around repair shops. They say bring it in, $150 but “it’s worth it”.
-for whatever reason, I called “swift” smog shop. 5 minutes from our apt in Culver City. He said just bring it in.
-“swift” plugs in siennna. All the same problems. BUT he says it’s the cap. That’s causing all the problems. Told him I got a new Toyota one. He looks at it and says it may not be sealing completely.
-I go back to Toyota. I find my old cap. They’re quite different. If they had told me there were 2 different caps, I guess I would’ve checked better. 2004 siennas have 2 different caps. Anyway,
they give me correct one.
-I drive around with new cap around 40 miles.
-take it back to “swift”, it passes no problems.
-thanks to “swift”, I probably saved around $150
-like I said convoluted but worked out in the end. Much kudos and Aloha to “swift” smog in Culver City.

·
Registered
124 Posts
lol.....bus to work or train to work is not that good out here in socal or san francisco.. there is widespred problems of homeless, drug addicts or mental problems making the bus and trains their house and basically you got to have a strong personally to ride the bus or no choice financially......its a crap shoot...
just YouTube or google the subject and you will see plenty....granted that most commuter lines or ok...but you have to be ready... and with corona virus...I wouldn't...

I would think Hawaii would have stronger smog rules or same as California.
You might be watching too much Tucker or hannity. I grew up in LA and been on the SF public transport many many many times. Sometimes interesting things happen but I've never seen anything violent. Just be aware like if you're traveling into a faraway country where pickpocketing is common. I'd just recommend not going late at night.

Youtube doesn't show how common things are. It merely shows videos. I've seen videos of a gas station robbed. I still get gas.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Glad it finally worked out for you. We don't usually use this here but Aloha!

Thanks for the tip about the Toyota parts guy. If a parts guy comes out asking me "is this it". I'll definitely be suspicious of the part.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts