Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in reengineering the rear seat brackets so the 3rd seat will recline fully and developing an attachment that will provide a 6' sleeping bed. The idea is to later add a gtrv pop top with bed and be able to retain the original 7 seat arrangement while accommodating sleeping for 4 or 5 with a hammock over the front seats - similar to a VW Weekender.

Any ideas or interested parties - chime in.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just FYI according to Mike at GTRV:
"The upper bunk is about 36" wide and 5' 8" long."
Probably too small to fit 2? Guess I'm not sure how little space your kido might fit in or if you were thinking 2 up or 2 in the front.

Sorry not clear? You hope to fold the third row flat and push the 2nd row forward? I'd think you'd have a better shot at folding the 2nd row flat and leave the 3rd row in place all the time.

Do you need to transport 7 and sleep 5 all on the same trip? I'm not really clear on the scope of your desired goal. I think the potential to transport 5 and sleep 5 on and trip while at other times transporting 7 and sleeping 0 will be much more feasible. Transporting 4 and sleeping 4 seems very feasible. I know some folks who like to pull the 2nd row seats out for travel or skiing and use just the 3rd row as seats/part of a bed. No need to even fold them flat there is 6' of space in front of them.

I'm not sure on all the measurement but roughly the Westy's have about 2' more length in the cargo space, about 12" wider at the back and 5" wide in the middle with probably 7" more interior height. It seems to have become popular to advertise "Westy" conversions but the Sienna is just not as big from the start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am interested in reengineering the rear seat brackets so the 3rd seat will recline fully and developing an attachment that will provide a 6' sleeping bed. The idea is to later add a gtrv pop top with bed and be able to retain the original 7 seat arrangement while accommodating sleeping for 4 or 5 with a hammock over the front seats - similar to a VW Weekender.

Any ideas or interested parties - chime in.
I’m in the process of building out my 2011 into a camper. I have removed the second row seating and layer plywood down for the floor currently the third row seats still work and fold but will be building a bench seat with vw bus rock n roll hinges. This will allow for a pull out bed with the upper and lower cushions laying flat. You would then build a shelf behind it that would be the same level and create a large sleeping space. No pics to provide cause I’m still planning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts