Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently replaced our 2007 Sienna (totaled in an accident) with a 2010 Sienna XLE Limited. One of the differences we've found between the 2007 and the 2010 models is that the maximum height for the driver's seat tops out about a half inch to an inch lower than in the 2007. While this probably isn't a big deal for most people, for my wife, who is 4'10" tall, it's the difference between needing to sit on a cushion to drive comfortably and not needing one.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to adjust the maximum seat height to get that inch back out of it (or if it would be possible to swap out a 2007 driver's seat for the 2010 if that would give us the height back - while I'm guessing it wouldn't be cheap, we'd be willing to consider it).

Thank you for any advice on this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the suggestion. She's getting by with a pillow for now, but would really prefer not to have to sit on one for the next 10+ years, if there's any way of raising the seat just a bit more instead.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Maybe you can get your old seat back from the totaled 07 Sienna and replace it in the new Sienna? Just a thought?

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Wow...sorry about your old Sienna. Glad y'all are relatively "ok". :)

Unfortunately, the height issue will likely only get worse as we "age" as humans tend to shrink a little bit when we get older, and/or our posture gets worse.

A good night's sleep also helps to relax the compression of the spine due to gravity during our waking hours. I find I sometimes need to re-adjust the mirrors if I do an "all-nighter", and if I get "extra" sleep everything feels like I am taller too. Your height can vary by up to approx 1-inch between first waking in the morning to late at night.

I am just guessing, but chances are you should be able to find a used/salvaged seat and it should just bolt right in. Of course, the condition of that seat would vary and be subject to how much wear-&-tear and compression from whomever sat in it for X number of years affected the bottom cushion. There's no guarantee that any height variance between individual seats would be better or worse than for any other seat. And it would likely be somewhat $$$$$.

Another possibility is to maybe seek the services of an [automotive upholstery] shop and see if they can increase the amount of padding in the seat, or redo it completely. That might introduce new problems because the leather may need to be stretched or extra panels sewn in and the contours of the seat may change causing you to slide around or whatever.

Yeah....I agree with [2006] up above....get a good seat cushion and replace it every few years. Unconfirmed, but I have heard anecdotal stories about if you "must" use a cushion during a behind-the-wheel driving test (if you ever need to take one again in the future) that the examiner may make a note of that as a condition for your driver's license (similar to having to wear eyeglasses). ::) ??? :eek:

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I have never done this... but since the seat affixes to the floor through 4 bolts, couldn't the bolts be replaced with longer ones and you insert some spacers (ie chopped and drilled through 1" black steel square tube)?

I know there _could_ be concerns about strength in accident, but using at least the same tensile strength of bolt and a properly oriented metal spacer should not change the load characteristics of the seat under collision.

If I wanted to raise my seat, thats what I would do. Even if you dont have the right tools, you could go to Home Depot and get them to chop 4 small sections of square tube). Drill out a hole in each slightly larger than the diameter of the bolts, find (likely online) the same thread/size of bolt (but longer in length by 1") and mount it back again.

I also haven't looked at the seat and seat well (as I have never taken it out) but you might be able to just insert 2 lengths of steel tube instead of 4 individual ones per bolt (ie span front to back mounts on left and right or side to side on front and back)... which would add to the strength by coupling the supports to each other. If you could do that... I would pop the seat out, make a template of the distance between holes and take that in when getting tube cut to length and drilled out at right spots.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
simple.............change the wife............... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
robaer said:
I have never done this... but since the seat affixes to the floor through 4 bolts, couldn't the bolts be replaced with longer ones and you insert some spacers (ie chopped and drilled through 1" black steel square tube)?
Perhaps, but it would only be that simple if the bolts are all parallel (e.g. all vertical). As is typical, the Sienna's seats bolt to the front (not top) of a lateral rib in the floor structure, so the spacers would be complex.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
agberg said:
... if it would be possible to swap out a 2007 driver's seat for the 2010
I doubt that there has been any change in the floor structure within the second generation, so my guess would be that the swap would restore the 2007 height adjustment range... and that the swap would be a simple bolt-in if the wiring for the power seat has not changed.

I have swapped seats between different generations of Honda CRX (completely different cars, with completely different structures) and found that the mounting points are identical.

There is, of course, the issue of matching the interior appearance (fabric or leather, colour, etc).

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Could you rent a 2007 Sienna of the same color and trim as the 2010 and swap out the driver's seat? Hmmmm......

brian_bp said:
agberg said:
... if it would be possible to swap out a 2007 driver's seat for the 2010
I doubt that there has been any change in the floor structure within the second generation, so my guess would be that the swap would restore the 2007 height adjustment range... and that the swap would be a simple bolt-in if the wiring for the power seat has not changed.

I have swapped seats between different generations of Honda CRX (completely different cars, with completely different structures) and found that the mounting points are identical.

There is, of course, the issue of matching the interior appearance (fabric or leather, colour, etc).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts