Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have like 3 jugs of synthetic oil that i bought for my mazda 5. Since i have no mazda 5 anymore, i was wondering if i can use the oil for my sienna.

Also, what filter would you recommend?

thanks.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I checked Mobil and Pennzoil online application guides and both say 5W-30, no mention of 0W-20 I'm afraid.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
547 Posts
I also checked the owners manual. 5w-30 is "recommended" down to -20 degrees F. Up to 100F (outside temps) . The OM further states that if the recommended is not available then 10W-30 grade will suffice but to revert to the "recommended" as soon as practical. My LE is a 2006 and I am not sure if these 0-20 weight oils were available back then. What I do understand is that the VVT-I requires certain oil viscosities to operate optimally. I would think that 0-20 would be fine BUT why risk it? My 2c.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did some further research, and according to this chart, 0w-20 can be used 2006 sienna. is this 0w-20 different than mobile one 0-20?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Are you in Canada? Oil values "intended" for the Canadian market. I wonder whats the difference between the USA and Canadian market?

·
Registered
407 Posts
i did some further research, and according to this chart, 0w-20 can be used 2006 sienna. is this 0w-20 different than mobile one 0-20?

Well, my apologies. I assumed you are located in the United States, and that this was regarding a US market Sienna. I also did not realize there were different specs oil between the US and Canada.

It's good to specify a location, on your part...

To answer your question, no, no difference. In fact I personally prefer the Mobil 1 version because of their clearly stated engine warranty, at least clearly stated on the US website...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am in north Texas and summer is about to be over. so can i use mobile 1 0wx20 over fall and winter time here in TX?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am in north Texas and summer is about to be over. so can i use mobile 1 0wx20 over fall and winter time here in TX?
Since it is not specified for your vehicle, I personally would not use/risk it:

Under exclusions:

"Situations where the OEM required lubricant standards do not match those stated by ExxonMobil without written approval from ExxonMobil."

·
Registered
547 Posts
Mix it? Maybe 4 5w30 to 1 0w20 till it is all used up. I really cant see that it would be that detrimental.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all, found out that my scion xd can use 0w-20 synthetic. LOL. I'll go with 5w-30 for sienna.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has 3 (assuming a modern multi-weight oil) important "specs"... The letter code on the back of the bottle, the cold weight and the warm weight. The letter codes should be backwards compatible, so you can use anything equal or newer than the code specified in the manual. The cold weight is important for engine starting. 0w, 5w, 10w, etc. This matters most for reducing engine start up wear and reducing noise from hydrolic lifters. Sometimes, they get a little sticky in cold weather and an oil change to a lower cold weight will fix that issue. The third spec (warm weight) is the thing that matters most for driving conditions. You really want this number to meet the spcified conditions, with a few exceptions. 10w30 is a viable substitute for 5w30 because, aside from some lifter noise, it will do no harm. If you live someplace really warm (i.e. Arizona in the Summer), you can potentially switch to a 5w40 for the Summer, if you wanted, but with a 7500 or 15000 mile oil, unless you do a lot of driving, you won't be changing it 3-5 times per year like we used to do back in the day. So, could you use a straight 0w20 oil in an '06 Sienna? Technically, no, and if you still had a warranty, you would void it. Will it do any harm to put 1 quart of 0w20 in with the engine with the rest as 5w30? Nope. It's likely that the worst that would happen would be a little blow-by if your car has high miles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
  1. Check the API grade rating on the oil label will be S plus another letter and Check against the owners manual on which grade rating to use and the recommended viscosity #w##.
  2. Viscosity is important in the newer engines.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts