Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I bought a used 2011 Sienna, and I can't find a way to do something that is easy on my other, 2006 Sienna, and for that matter on any other car we own (5 right now) and have owned for a long time... set the clock to the second instead of just to the minute. On most cars, and on my 2006 Sienna, you set the clock hours and minutes, and then when you confirm, usually by hitting the "clock" button again, the clock seconds are set to 00 and the next minutes increase won't happen for a full sixty more seconds. This allows me to exactly sync my vehicle clock with my phone, which is handy, for instance, for ensuring that GPS app arrival times match up with the vehicle clock.

On my 2011 Sienna though it doesn't seem to work this way. When I'm done setting the hours and minutes and hit "select" I expect the seconds to be reset to 00 as well, but that isn't happening. The seconds just seem to keep on counting as if nothing has happened, and if, for instance, they are at 45 when I hit select then just fifteen seconds after I finish setting the clock the minutes value will bump up to the next number. This is really annoying. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Correct, a 00 minute and seconds cannot be set on the 2011-2014 Sienna clock. The feature also went away on some other Toyota models, e.g. gen 3 Highlander, but returned on the 2015-up Sienna and also on the 2020-up Highlander when the clock control function was merged into the in-dash screen.

Navigation arrival times are estimates whether they are on a phone or on an in-dash navigation system. I've never found them to be very accurate until I become closer to a destination.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct, a 00 minute and seconds cannot be set on the 2011-2014 Sienna clock. The feature also went away on some other Toyota models, e.g. gen 3 Highlander, but returned on the 2015-up Sienna and also on the 2020-up Highlander when the clock control function was merged into the in-dash screen.

Navigation arrival times are estimates whether they are on a phone or on an in-dash navigation system. I've never found them to be very accurate until I become closer to a destination.
Thanks, that's annoying. I know GPS arrival times are approximate and change all the time anyway as you get closer to your destination, but it just bothers my latent OCD when the GPS says arrival in 25 minutes, at 11:30, and my vehicle clock says it's 11:06. I'll learn to live with it though. LOL

Pretty odd way for Toyota to design a clock though... every other digital clock I own allows me to set the time to the second. When the clocks jumped ahead earlier this month I had to set maybe ten different clocks around the house and in the vehicles. Only the Sienna wouldn't let me sync it exactly to my phone like all the others did.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Thanks, that's annoying. I know GPS arrival times are approximate and change all the time anyway as you get closer to your destination, but it just bothers my latent OCD when the GPS says arrival in 25 minutes, at 11:30, and my vehicle clock says it's 11:06. I'll learn to live with it though. LOL
Whoa! Your OCD has gone way beyond "latent" ... you are in full-blown "CDO". It's CDO by the way - not OCD because THE LETTERS MUST BE KEPT IN ORDER. :)

Pretty odd way for Toyota to design a clock though... every other digital clock I own allows me to set the time to the second. When the clocks jumped ahead earlier this month I had to set maybe ten different clocks around the house and in the vehicles. Only the Sienna wouldn't let me sync it exactly to my phone like all the others did.
I also recently reset all the digital clocks in our house for daylight savings time using my cell phone for reference and I don't think any of them allow setting to the exact minute/second, e.g. multiple clock radios, intercom system, appliances, HVAC thermostat. Do you have the the extra cost CDO compliant clocks? :p

Maybe I should set the time on our VCR's - their displays have been blinking "12:00" for many years. That would probably drive you crazy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoa! Your OCD has gone way beyond "latent" ... you are in full-blown "CDO". It's CDO by the way - not OCD because THE LETTERS MUST BE KEPT IN ORDER. :)

I also recently reset all the digital clocks in our house for daylight savings time using my cell phone for reference and I don't think any of them allow setting to the exact minute/second, e.g. multiple clock radios, intercom system, appliances, HVAC thermostat. Do you have the the extra cost CDO compliant clocks? :p

Maybe I should set the time on our VCR's - their displays have been blinking "12:00" for many years. That would probably drive you crazy.
I can't speak for your devices, but on all my stuff you generally use a button to put them into clock setting mode, set the hours and minutes, then at the exact moment when your cellphone rolls over to the next minute you just click the clock setting button again, which not only closes the clock setting mode, but resets the invisible second counter to zero. My wife's 2011 Honda Civic you press and hold the clock button till it changes into setting mode, use the H and M buttons to set the new time, then when you tap the clock button again the time is set and the seconds counter starts back at zero. Even my 25yo first-generation Bose Wave Radio works similarly... hold down the clock set button and use the arrow keys to set the time. Releasing the clock set button accepts the new time and resets the seconds to zero. As I said, my 2006 Sienna lets you set the exact time, why on Earth would Toyota later make this impossible for four model years?

Excuse me, I just noticed some kids on my front lawn I need to yell at. ;-)

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
What’s a VCR? :p
LOL, I've got the content of all our VCR tapes on DVD except for the underwater videos of my wife's first ocean scuba dives in 1995 off the coast of Jamaica. I may still have the marks on my right arm from when she latched on to me with a death grip - the ocean was scary for her and she took the buddy system seriously. There used to be a company in the office building where I worked in the late 2000's that converted VCR tapes to DVD ... wish I had done it then since companies like that are no longer around locally. VCR tapes sure look s#it when played on a modern big flat screen TV - terribly grainy.

I've bought DVD versions of most of the movies I have on VCR tapes - some of them among the finest and most intellectually challenging films ever made including "Blazing Saddles", "Young Frankenstein" and the uncut Don't Call Me Shirley Edition of "Airplane".

·
Registered
291 Posts
Without making any OCD jokes, I'd submit that there isn't a lot of point to this unless you're going to reset it daily anyway, and maybe not even then. The clock in our 2011 gains a minute or so a month, and based on the BBC time tick, the clock in the local Verizon cell station isn't very accurate either. I've gotten used to the car clock gaining, and use it to catch the news by waiting until it DOES change to xx:00 and then switching stations :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I betcha a full power reset (battery or fuse, at just the right time) resets that invisible second counter to zero, allowing you to adjust the hours & minutes as you see fit. It's a lot of work, but might be worth it to some people!

PS: If it does not reset the seconds to zero, you have something very interesting to report

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I have saved the vhs tape of how to install the middle row seats on our 2004 le 8pax. I hope it will be appreciated when we finally sell it.
A person buying a Sienna that old might be more likely to use a VCR!

Up to the time I retired from a company in 2008, each time we got in a new "victim" ( i.e. new employee), I would drop by their desk and throw a 5 1/4 inch floppy disc with a Deltak training course on it and gruffly tell the new victim to complete the course by the end of the day and report to me on what was learned. Older new employees would usually quickly get the joke but the young ones sometimes looked panicked.

·
Super Moderator
4,739 Posts
Our Safety Department was still using 12" Laser Disks with programming from the mid 1980's until just a few short years ago. Some things take a long time to die.

·
Registered
213 Posts
A few weeks ago I bought a used 2011 Sienna, and I can't find a way to do something that is easy on my other, 2006 Sienna, and for that matter on any other car we own (5 right now) and have owned for a long time... set the clock to the second instead of just to the minute. On most cars, and on my 2006 Sienna, you set the clock hours and minutes, and then when you confirm, usually by hitting the "clock" button again, the clock seconds are set to 00 and the next minutes increase won't happen for a full sixty more seconds. This allows me to exactly sync my vehicle clock with my phone, which is handy, for instance, for ensuring that GPS app arrival times match up with the vehicle clock.

On my 2011 Sienna though it doesn't seem to work this way. When I'm done setting the hours and minutes and hit "select" I expect the seconds to be reset to 00 as well, but that isn't happening. The seconds just seem to keep on counting as if nothing has happened, and if, for instance, they are at 45 when I hit select then just fifteen seconds after I finish setting the clock the minutes value will bump up to the next number. This is really annoying. Am I missing something?
Is it just me or can everyone hear the theme song from Mission Impossible in the background? da da da danta danta da da danta...

personality profile: you are 68 years old, an engineer, just retired, upgraded from a 2001 Caravan and have too much time on your hands. Your OCD compells you to overthink Everything, including setting the clock so you can make the turn at precisely the moment your GPS tells you to.

God, I wish I had the luxury to worry about things like this. Shoot me when I get there.

😂

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is it just me or can everyone hear the theme song from Mission Impossible in the background? da da da danta danta da da danta...

personality profile: you are 68 years old, an engineer, just retired, upgraded from a 2001 Caravan and have too much time on your hands. Your OCD compells you to overthink Everything, including setting the clock so you can make the turn at precisely the moment your GPS tells you to.

God, I wish I had the luxury to worry about things like this. Shoot me when I get there.

😂
Turned 62 in January... been self-employed as an indendent software developer for about 25 years, desktop business software originally but mobile stuff since about 2013. One of my mobile apps was a multistep timer for tasks with multiple segments with different durations such as mixing mortar (5 minutes of mixing, 10 minutes slaking, 2 minutes final mix). Prior to that I was an electronics tech working on marine navigational stuff including RADAR, LORAN-C, etc.

I was joking about the OCD, but I do sometimes overthink stuff, although the benefit is that I'm usually the guy who has anticipated problems I'm going to run into on a project beforehand because I've built the thing in my head before I ever picked up a tool. I will admit that my technical background has make me more concerned with precision than the average Sienna owner.

Oh, and I've never owned a Caravan, or any other minivan before the 2006 Sienna I bought last year to leave three provinces over in our summer getaway in Newfoundland so we don't have to rent a car when we fly there. We liked it so much we bought the 2011 a month ago to replace the 2006 Buick Allure I'd been driving since 2012 because it was my father's car and allowed me to hold on to a piece of him after his death. It was going to cost about $5000 to keep it going so I made the difficult decision to finally send it to the junkyard.

Excuse me now... I have to go synchronise my watch for the next mission. ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts