Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you for all the replies! Very helpful. In response to taking a drive over a state, I would definitly get pulled over for not having an up to date registration sticker. I did find a mechanic (Center Auto Machine Shop in Oakland) who would do the knock sensor repair for $1,114.80 which is half the price of other places I went to get estimates here in Cali but still way out of my budget.
Looks like I have to sell it if I can't get this repair waiver, fingers crossed

·
Registered
24 Posts
You don't have to take a drive out of state.

They do all the work, and even send your plates and title to your house. You never have to leave home. And it's significantly cheaper than the repair.

If you sell, you won't get nearly enough money to replace your vehicle without having to make payments for the next several years, and even then you don't know if that vehicle won't have some dumb code keep you from passing. Then you'll be in a worse situation than you are now. Or you can take Uber everywhere, but that will get expensive quick.

Either drive it and a risk a ticket, or get a Montana registration that doesn't require smog checks.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Thank you for all the replies! Very helpful. In response to taking a drive over a state, I would definitly get pulled over for not having an up to date registration sticker. I did find a mechanic (Center Auto Machine Shop in Oakland) who would do the knock sensor repair for $1,114.80 which is half the price of other places I went to get estimates here in Cali but still way out of my budget.
Looks like I have to sell it if I can't get this repair waiver, fingers crossed
I live in Southern New England and have been pulled over many times for an overdue inspection sticker. In this area, they LOVE to pull you over for an inspection sticker because it gives them probable cause to pull you over and say, "You know why I pulled you over?," hoping you will confess to having a dead body in the trunk or some such. I've never gotten anything other than a warning or a fixit-ticket which gives 14 days to fix the issue. One time, when they introduced a new requirement, inspection stations were 6 weeks out for booking and I had to go to the police 3 times before I could get it inspected and then it failed and it was another 3 weeks before they had an appointment to fix and reinspect the car, but the initial inspection took care of the ticket. I would risk booking an appointment out-of-state. You can call and ask for an estimate for the job. My guess is that it won't be much cheaper than $900 though. If that's too much, definitely consider the Montana option that catfish93 suggested.

·
Registered
669 Posts
This should be in the Gen 1 section. Any moderator around please help.
Bumpity bump.

If this were in the Gen 1 section like it should be someone over there could give a more knowledgeable estimate of the work involved.

Any moderator around?

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,531 Posts
Oops.....

Thank you, gentlemen! SilverMachine and I were both away for a few days vacation at the same time. Just imagine the havoc you guys could have been up to if you had KNOWN that the police were AWOL.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Oops.....

Thank you, gentlemen! SilverMachine and I were both away for a few days vacation at the same time. Just imagine the havoc you guys could have been up to if you had KNOWN that the police were AWOL.
No worries. Gotta get away, (at least sometimes).

Thanks for your service to the forum!

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

21 - 27 of 27 Posts