Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have the 2021 Sienna LE (with the Plus package). I've been hearing a lot about catalytic converters being stolen from parked cars in my area (Los Angeles) and apparently Prius' are the main targets. I haven't seen any mentions of the Sienna being targets but since we've also got a hybrid Toyota I'm worried. I've read online about cat converter shields/cages that you can get installed at a muffler shop but today I was reading through the warranty manual and saw in the section under "Catalyst System" it lists "Catalytic converter and protector". Does anyone know if that means that our catalytic converter has some type of shield already on it? I tried looking under my car earlier but truly have no clue what I'm even looking for so that was useless. Hoping you knowledgeable strangers could help.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I am in socal and its nothing special event, happens a lot, damn crooks....really nobody has found a full proof solution yet.. best bet is youtube or google it..they got clamps, rebars and whatever to slow down the theft. But usually they will cut off the parts at long exhaust pipe or framing too.. I would say best is a full coverage insurance with low deductible so that you only feel a $100 hit..or you could tie a Pitbull dog to the car...lol.... could put it in garage... maybe a full car cover too...they say less seen is less of a victim.

seinna usually have 3 cats in total...2 of them are in the engine compartment or under close by...not easy to cut off or get at for theives to cut off.... and the O2 sensors are there too which triggers check engine code 420--bank 1 430--bank 2...both are about $500 each at toyota dealers and installation is not that hard for DIY guys.

the other catalytic converter is under car along with long exhaust piping which I guess filters out the smog before muffler...but it doesn't have any sensors to monitor anything there....but its like $1400 part at dealer...aftermarkets are cheap but not sold in California...lol... Good thing is it doesn't trigger any check engine code... smog test nowadays on newer cars don't sniff the smog on the muffler output.... Nice.

my 90 toyota pickup in my driveway was chopped off....cop said its a 5min job for thieves, no protection. .Dealer part wanted $1500+...I got a aftermarket welded on for like $150 but that was long time ago...and it barely passes smog test... its smog is tested by tailpipe sniffer hooked to their smog machine...sucks.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
156 Posts
I don't know much about Catalytic Converts either, but I'd heard this as well so I talked to one of the managers at the Toyota Service department about this exact issue. He said that Prius Cats are most likely to be stolen because it's mounted way in the back with plenty of easy access to it. With the '21 Sienna, the Cat is toward the middle of the vehicle and under a cover that is bolted in. So technically, it's possible to get it stolen, but highly unlikely. They'd have a hard time just getting to it, let alone removing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know much about Catalytic Converts either, but I'd heard this as well so I talked to one of the managers at the Toyota Service department about this exact issue. He said that Prius Cats are most likely to be stolen because it's mounted way in the back with plenty of easy access to it. With the '21 Sienna, the Cat is toward the middle of the vehicle and under a cover that is bolted in. So technically, it's possible to get it stolen, but highly unlikely. They'd have a hard time just getting to it, let alone removing it.
don't trust any dealer manager as they are so far removed from shop that they have no clue of what is under the hood or the undercarriage of the car. I looked under mine XLE and it is easily accessible for thief to cut. there is no cover. I parked mine inside the garage but I am not comfortable in city lots until I put a plate over it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
don't trust any dealer manager as they are so far removed from shop that they have no clue of what is under the hood or the undercarriage of the car. I looked under mine XLE and it is easily accessible for thief to cut. there is no cover. I parked mine inside the garage but I am not comfortable in city lots until I put a plate over it.
Wouldn't this trigger the alarm?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Some alarms do trigger on car movement. Wonder if jacking would trigger it. Shaking a car will trigger some vehicle alarms. Some have tilt sensors. I have no idea what is installed by dealers or what comes stock besides immobilizer.

·
Registered
2022 Sienna XLE
9 Posts
I always wondered about that as well.
In my area, Prius cat converter thefts are very common.

The new hybrid siennas are basically prius minivans. I wonder if thieves will take advantage of the new siennas as well.
Anyone here of anything invovling the hybrid siennas?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,685 Posts
I realize that I'm responding to a 10 month old thread.... But in answer to the OP's question about "Catalytic converter and protector", the are referring to the light duty thermal shields around the cat and some of the pre-cat pipes. They are designed to help the cat come up to and stay at temperature to increase it's thermal conversion efficiency. They offer no theft protection.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
297 Posts
I'm reviving an old post. Just found out about an interesting product that may help with the CAT theft issue, not sure how well they work for the Sienna but it may be helpful for your other vehicles.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm reviving an old post. Just found out about an interesting product that may help with the CAT theft issue, not sure how well they work for the Sienna but it may be helpful for your other vehicles.

Seems like we may as well haul a mobile garage to protect Sienna!! :)

·
Super Moderator
5,685 Posts
I found this on an auto shop website - photo of customer's truck:

Wood Composite material Gas Engineering Building material

·
Registered
23 Posts

I don’t think we need to worry about Cat theft as, from my understanding, our Cat is inside the enginebay right after the exhaust manifold. So if somebody want to steal it, they have to pop the hood and take it from there.

·
Super Moderator
5,685 Posts
It is good engineering practice to place the first catalytic converter in the engine bay tucked up as close to the engine as possible because internal temps need to be near 600'F for it to work properly. But the sizing restrictions next to the block often make it necessary to have a second larger unit under the body. I haven't looked at the hybrids, but I wouldn't be surprised if they followed this design.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD
39 Posts
Does anyone have any pics of the catalytic convertor(s)? Underneath the Sienna I see a some exhaust piping and mufflers below along aluminum heat shield. What’s to stop a crackhead thief from thinking these are cats and sawing them off?

How many are there in the Sienna? (My Tacoma has 4, 2 on each side of the engine block).

·
Registered
2004 LE-8
123 Posts

Reposted from prior catalytic converter thread: Here's a picture of the A25A-FXS engine, front of the car is to the left, and the catalytic converter is the canister sticking out the rear on the right side of the picture. It's located deep under the hood, in front of the firewall, so it's a little harder to cut out than a cat that hangs under neat. MSRP of the catalytic converter is $844.

White Line Font Parallel Slope

Those exhaust pipes underneath the car aren't cheap either, but someone stupid enough to cut them out will be rewarded...not. Toyota Parts link

·
Registered
255 Posts
View attachment 56065

Those exhaust pipes underneath the car aren't cheap either, but someone stupid enough to cut them out will be rewarded...not. Toyota Parts link
I think you got the wrong diagram for the exhaust pipe. That is for a V6 with the two connections to front and rear banks, you can also see the catalytic converter in the middle (the canister with ridges in it). So likely for Gen 3.

Line Font Rectangle Auto part Parallel

This should be the correct diagram for Gen4. You can identify the Gen4 with that unique placement of the muffler in the middle of the car to maximize the deep cargo space in the back. But anyway, you got the right idea, the CAT is up by the exhaust manifold, and the accessible parts underneath are expensive to replace but pretty worthless to a thief.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This should be the correct diagram for Gen4. You can identify the Gen4 with that unique placement of the muffler in the middle of the car to maximize the deep cargo space in the back. But anyway, you got the right idea, the CAT is up by the exhaust manifold, and the accessible parts underneath are expensive to replace but pretty worthless to a thief.
Unfortunately that doesn't seem to stop them.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Asphalt

1 - 20 of 40 Posts