Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just reading this thread after having my 2022 Sienna catalytic converter stolen for the 2nd time in less then 60 days. The dealership told me they don't make any type of Cat Shields for the 2022 Sienna... Is that true? Any other suggestions? It doesn't fit in garage, so it is parked in driveway. I have video, but can't make out license plate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it is indeed the part under the van, it's a resonator and not the cat, and it would be legal to put in a straight pipe. Have someone more familiar with this engine look at it, if you just tell them the cat got stolen, the default answer would be you must replace it.
Looking at the diagram again, it looks like the first resonator and the cat is a single part, so even though the cat actually didn't get stolen, a shop replacing it with the OEM part may just order the part containing both cat and resonator.
Interesting! I'm attaching a photo since I'm kind of a noob with car parts. Did they take the resonator? If yes, it's worthless to them? In May they took the exact same part and I brought it to the dealership where I purchased the car and it was $1400 to replace. I kept calling it a catalytic converter and they never corrected me...

Thanks for your help!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
9 Posts
It does indeed look like they cut out the resonator. For this engine, the cat is integrated with the exhaust manifold. Here's the part:

It is possible that the resonator would cost $1400 to replace at a dealership. As you can see, the exhaust pipe component for that portion actually costs more than the cat with exhaust manifold!

So the pathetic thieves stole something that's worthless to them, but costly to replace for the owner. :rolleyes:
I'd say check with a muffler shop and see if they're able to weld on a pipe or generic resonator.
Man, that is so frustrating! Thanks for the links and information. I'm attaching a picture of the shop receipt from when this happened in May. Does this receipt just confirm exactly what you said? Yeah, I guess I see it does with the parts number 17410. So two separate thieves in 2 months cut out a worthless piece?? ugh!
Font Paper Paper product Document Menu

·
Registered
9 Posts
It does indeed look like they cut out the resonator. For this engine, the cat is integrated with the exhaust manifold. Here's the part:

It is possible that the resonator would cost $1400 to replace at a dealership. As you can see, the exhaust pipe component for that portion actually costs more than the cat with exhaust manifold!

So the pathetic thieves stole something that's worthless to them, but costly to replace for the owner. :rolleyes:
I'd say check with a muffler shop and see if they're able to weld on a pipe or generic resonator.
I just got back from the shop, they said it was the catalytic converter. This is on the 2022 Sienna. He said that it's in a very accessible spot and had no advice on how to protect it. He said they are starting to see Sienna's come in with it cut out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
if thats a gen4, they stole a resonator, not a converter. the converter is part of the exhaust manifold in the 2.5lFXE engine, and unless they were seriously damaging the car, its pretty fucking hard to get up in there to even get an angle on it.
Here's a picture of it replaced. Converter?
Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Rolling Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I ever get my Sienna, I think I will still look for a solution to prevent damage and theft of the resonator under the van, just to avoid the hassle, cost and damage.
It's sad that we live in a world like this, but we do. I caught someone trying to steal the CAT from my friend's Tundra 10 years ago, in a big parking lot. The guy was in the middle of cutting, and saw me and got spooked. Broad daylight in a fairly populated parking lot, with people walking around.
I will probably install something like this:

Oh, and the cops caught the guy! :)
Yeah, I had it painted orange and loose cables installed
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts