Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think you got the wrong diagram for the exhaust pipe. That is for a V6 with the two connections to front and rear banks, you can also see the catalytic converter in the middle (the canister with ridges in it). So likely for Gen 3.

View attachment 56066

This should be the correct diagram for Gen4...the CAT is up by the exhaust manifold, and the accessible parts underneath are expensive to replace but pretty worthless to a thief.
On the #17410 assembly there are 2 canisters. Which one is the cat ? Or maybe both of them are ? My guess is - its the one closest to the engine correct ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just reading this thread after having my 2022 Sienna catalytic converter stolen for the 2nd time in less then 60 days. The dealership told me they don't make any type of Cat Shields for the 2022 Sienna... Is that true? Any other suggestions? It doesn't fit in garage, so it is parked in driveway. I have video, but can't make out license plate.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Just reading this thread after having my 2022 Sienna catalytic converter stolen for the 2nd time in less then 60 days. The dealership told me they don't make any type of Cat Shields for the 2022 Sienna... Is that true? Any other suggestions? It doesn't fit in garage, so it is parked in driveway. I have video, but can't make out license plate.
Higher resolution cameras.

Or have notifications sent to your cell phone from camera pointed at Sienna.

·
Registered
2022 XLE 8
159 Posts
Is the CC located being the engine getting removed or the resonators under the van? I wonder if a muffler shop could weld in a straight pipe if it's the latter, exhaust might sound funny though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's the part under the van. I did call one shop and asked about a straight pipe, at least temporarily and they told me it was illegal.
Which one did they steal ? The one closest to the engine or the 2nd one on the #17410 diagram ?

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's the part under the van. I did call one shop and asked about a straight pipe, at least temporarily and they told me it was illegal.
If it is indeed the part under the van, it's a resonator and not the cat, and it would be legal to put in a straight pipe. Have someone more familiar with this engine look at it, if you just tell them the cat got stolen, the default answer would be you must replace it.
Looking at the diagram again, it looks like the first resonator and the cat is a single part, so even though the cat actually didn't get stolen, a shop replacing it with the OEM part may just order the part containing both cat and resonator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it is indeed the part under the van, it's a resonator and not the cat, and it would be legal to put in a straight pipe. Have someone more familiar with this engine look at it, if you just tell them the cat got stolen, the default answer would be you must replace it.
Looking at the diagram again, it looks like the first resonator and the cat is a single part, so even though the cat actually didn't get stolen, a shop replacing it with the OEM part may just order the part containing both cat and resonator.
Interesting! I'm attaching a photo since I'm kind of a noob with car parts. Did they take the resonator? If yes, it's worthless to them? In May they took the exact same part and I brought it to the dealership where I purchased the car and it was $1400 to replace. I kept calling it a catalytic converter and they never corrected me...

Thanks for your help!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
314 Posts
I posted a pictured in my reply to Jetstreamblue, I believe it's the 2nd one (not closest to engine), but take a look. Any insight you have is appreciated! Thanks
It does indeed look like they cut out the resonator. For this engine, the cat is integrated with the exhaust manifold. Here's the part:

It is possible that the resonator would cost $1400 to replace at a dealership. As you can see, the exhaust pipe component for that portion actually costs more than the cat with exhaust manifold!

So the pathetic thieves stole something that's worthless to them, but costly to replace for the owner. :rolleyes:
I'd say check with a muffler shop and see if they're able to weld on a pipe or generic resonator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It does indeed look like they cut out the resonator. For this engine, the cat is integrated with the exhaust manifold. Here's the part:

It is possible that the resonator would cost $1400 to replace at a dealership. As you can see, the exhaust pipe component for that portion actually costs more than the cat with exhaust manifold!

So the pathetic thieves stole something that's worthless to them, but costly to replace for the owner. :rolleyes:
I'd say check with a muffler shop and see if they're able to weld on a pipe or generic resonator.
Man, that is so frustrating! Thanks for the links and information. I'm attaching a picture of the shop receipt from when this happened in May. Does this receipt just confirm exactly what you said? Yeah, I guess I see it does with the parts number 17410. So two separate thieves in 2 months cut out a worthless piece?? ugh!
Font Paper Paper product Document Menu

·
Registered
9 Posts

I just got back from the shop, they said it was the catalytic converter. This is on the 2022 Sienna. He said that it's in a very accessible spot and had no advice on how to protect it. He said they are starting to see Sienna's come in with it cut out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
if thats a gen4, they stole a resonator, not a converter. the converter is part of the exhaust manifold in the 2.5lFXE engine, and unless they were seriously damaging the car, its pretty fucking hard to get up in there to even get an angle on it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Here's a picture of it replaced. Converter? View attachment 57150
whoever did this work ripped you off. If they charged you for a converter, and they put that in, you got taken for a ride. The 3-way converter is tucked right up on the engine, nearly impossible to get to without serious surgury in the engine bay, which is pretty compact. if its under the van, its just exhaust pipe and resonators, which are all cheap and can be replaced with stainless components.

·
Registered
144 Posts
@Jetstreamblue do you agree with chubbysumo? I'm talking with a different shop tomorrow that's suppose to wrap and paint the CAT
I will take a picture of the converter on my van tomorrow, on where it is, and how impossible it would be to get to it without serious noise and damage to the vehicle. They would have to remove 2 plastic undertray covers, which cover the entire front underside of the van, and then they would have to somehow angle the recip saw in a way that will cut, in an area that it would never fit without making the van inoperable.

that is the part for the toyota FXS 2.5l engines. it is literally right on the exhaust manifold, its part of it. you cannot physically reach it from the top or bottom of the van, only the bolts to remove the rest of the exhaust. if your manifold was leaking, you would have to drop the entire engine with the subframe because there is just 3 inches around the entire thing.

The part number they put on your invoice isn't even for your vehicle. Its the downpipe and integrated converter for 2015 to 2019 toyota corolla's.
I was in correct with this. its the mid pipe system, complete. looks like they didn't use all of it.

I would suggest you never take your van to that shop again, and also you at least call them out for their bullshit. not only did they not give you what you paid for, but they made you pay for the wrong parts. im sorry you got ripped off, there are some scammers out there in all businesses.
they gave you what you paid for, but it was money that wasn't needed.

Edit: im sorry, i hate ripoff shops. If they put a full cat back factory exhaust system in, then a $1400 parts charge would be acceptable. the issue is that you can clearly see that is not what they did, and on top of that, any smart exhaust shop would have known that what was cut was a resonator and they could have just welded in a stainless replacement pipe and resonator. the sound of the van might have changed, but it would have been a whole lot less than $1100. also, i errored, because that toyota part number brings up multiple "intermediate pipe front" from toyota parts catalogues on google, I don't know why.

That said, why the fuck did they charge for a whole OEM kit? There is no converter on it, its pipes and resonators, I could have had this in and out for $300 and some booger welds.

·
Registered
314 Posts
@Jetstreamblue do you agree with chubbysumo? I'm talking with a different shop tomorrow that's suppose to wrap and paint the CAT
That part doesn't really look like a cat, and according to the diagram, it isn't. However, you didn't necessarily get ripped off, cause as I pointed out, if they used the OEM replacement part, it is indeed a costly part even if it isn't the cat. They may have just ordered the corresponding OEM p/n and put it in. On the other hand, if they used aftermarket and just welded it in instead of replacing it with OEM p/n 17410, then I agree with chubbysumo and the shop is not being honest.

Here's a look at the cat and exhaust system, and you can understand better. It's from a RAV4 hybrid, but it's the same engine code so the design is similar.
So the part right at the front closest to the engine with the mesh like exterior is the cat, and the part you had stolen and replaced is next down the pipe.

·
Registered
144 Posts
the rav uses a different manifold and converter setup. I linked the toyota part for the manifold/converter that is in the Highlander hybrid, sienna, and anything that uses the 2.5l FXS engine. the converter is nearly impossible to even see from anywhere on the ground or above, let alone actually get to it without causing serious damage and crippling the van. Honestly, if you had to replace a converter on one of these, I think it would be a full engine/subframe out job, because there just isn't any room.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts